NFL games out of USA

KevinMcD

Like I said, if you want preseason....

The NFL is too short to do this to the games. Should poeple in, lets say, Fargo, North Dakota get a game then since they probably want to see a live game?

KISSwall09.jpg

+1 for Chris. Because we all know the financial sacrifices (read: enormous credit card bill) made for those precious season tickets should not go to nought if someone in another country wants to see the NFL!

I would highly doubt they would charge season ticket holders for a game that is not played, my point is just.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I just don't see this plan happening. I don't see the owners embracing it if it means that they have to sacrifice a home date and (in the case of contests played overseas) send their teams on an exhausting road trip, dealing with time changes, jet lag, etc., when 30 other teams aren't going to have to do the same thing that year. In a 16 game season, every game means way too much and to force only one team a year to sacrifice home field advantage and only two teams to make a huge schlep (and it is certainly more than just putting the team on a plane) across the ocean could mean the difference between a 10-6 wild card berth and a 9-7 trip to the golf course. I doubt - at least for the first few years - the NFL is going to send their lower tier teams as their marquee representatives overseas. I would think any team expected to be in a tight divisional race or a team on the verge of having a contender is going to be excited about only having 7 home games and dealing with a long road trip.

Now, if the league expands the regular season to 17 games and makes everyone go on a big road trip without sacrificing home field advantage, you've got a pretty good moneymaker on your hands, not to mention a greatly diminished chance that anyone finishes the season at .500. You're either a winner or a loser.

A team sacrificing 1 home game over a 16 season period is hardly something to get worked up over.

The whole point of having a home game is having your fans in your stadium. Plus, you get to sleep in your own bad the night before the game. Last year when the Saints played a "home" game at Giants Stadium aginst the Giants, there were a number of teams upset that Giants had an advantage by having to play one less game on the road.

In a league where there is a huge difference between going 10-6 and going 9-7, any scheduling advantage could be huge.

Season Ticket purchases in the NFL also include the two preseason home games for the team.

With that said, perhaps we should ask one of the 3 people in Phoenix who owned Arizona Cardinals season tickets if they were charged for last year's game in Mexico City. They would be the litmus test for the idea of ticket sales for international games.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

+1 for Chris. Because we all know the financial sacrifices (read: enormous credit card bill) made for those precious season tickets should not go to nought if someone in another country wants to see the NFL!

In all fairness, they only get eight home games as it is. It's not fair to take those away.

A team sacrificing 1 home game over a 16 season period is hardly something to get worked up over.

So let's say you're a team that plays extremely well at home, and you're having a hell of a season, but uh oh! this is they year that you have to pack up and play a game in Munich. Without your home field advantage, you don't play as well, because come on, these Munich people don't have a vested interest. You lose the game in a close upset, which affects your playoff seeding. Don't you think a lot of people are going to say this was a game that would've been won had it not been for an unfamiliar field and a trans-Atlantic flight?

Bring it to Melbourne! definately get 100K to pack out the MCG. Even if it was Jacksonville v Houston.

I'm pretty sure it would be like AFL clubs here selling home games interstate. The home team selling the game, will get all the profits of exactly the same things they get profits off at home games, they'd more than likely get a substantial cheque written out from the host city and possibly the NFL. They'd still get their gate-reciepts.

But come to Melbourne, get alot of money from us Melburnians.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Stuff like this is what the preseason is for.

Besides, is it really a good idea to spread American football worldwide? When we introduce our sports to other countries, they're better than us in like 15 or 20 years.

Toronto Loves the NFL. I don't think a lot of you knows just how popular the NFL is in Toronto. I doubt places like London, or Germany like or know the NFL as much as Toronto. Remember, there is an ownership group here that through a one billion dollar feeler to the N.O. Saints owner a month or two ago. I'm pretty sure they are actively looking at one of these games in 08 because the Argos are complaining about how they are trying to intrude on their Grey Cup. Also, football has been around in Canada as long as it has been around in America... even though it's a slightly different game it isn't as different as say Rugby is.

Stuff like this is what the preseason is for.

Besides, is it really a good idea to spread American football worldwide? When we introduce our sports to other countries, they're better than us in like 15 or 20 years.

kinda like baseball? :D

I saw, I came, I left.

In all fairness, they only get eight home games as it is. It's not fair to take those away.

They get ten, including preseason games. Regardless, it's not as though something is like this without precedent (see: last year's game between the Buzzsaw and the 49ers). If most people remember, the Packers played several games a year in Milwaukee. Sure, it's not in another country, but the idea of a team playing a "home game" away from its stadium isn't without precedent.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

So let's say you're a team that plays extremely well at home, and you're having a hell of a season, but uh oh! this is they year that you have to pack up and play a game in Munich. Without your home field advantage, you don't play as well, because come on, these Munich people don't have a vested interest. You lose the game in a close upset, which affects your playoff seeding. Don't you think a lot of people are going to say this was a game that would've been won had it not been for an unfamiliar field and a trans-Atlantic flight?

Winners can play on any field under any conditions. If they can't win on a neutral field, then they shouldn't be in the playoffs and would have no business in the Super Bowl. And since every team is affected within the 16 year period, it is hardly unfair.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived