Can the Buffaslug be saved?!

ebod39

I feel it's big improvement and a step in the right direction.

You did an incredible job. That it about 100x better than the current nightmare.

But I don't care. I don't want the Banana Slug to be saved. Just remove it completely. And the new jerseys that Reebok designed? Get rid of those too. They're just long sleeve football jerseys anyway, no one will miss them (except for the dorks in Buffalo who rushed out to buy them on day one so they could say they were the first to have one).

Every single aspect of the uniform redesign went poorly. There's no point in keeping any of the new elements. Just go back to the classic jersey style that is nothing like the current home and road uniforms.

You did an incredible job. That it about 100x better than the current nightmare.

But I don't care. I don't want the Banana Slug to be saved. Just remove it completely. And the new jerseys that Reebok designed? Get rid of those too. They're just long sleeve football jerseys anyway, no one will miss them (except for the dorks in Buffalo who rushed out to buy them on day one so they could say they were the first to have one).

Every single aspect of the uniform redesign went poorly. There's no point in keeping any of the new elements. Just go back to the classic jersey style that is nothing like the current home and road uniforms.

Wow, dorks, eh? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the uniform itself. The only problem is the slug itself. Ebod's redo is glorious. It would look excellent on the dark jerseys and maybe can be set off some how on the light jerseys. An additional blue outline or drop shadow, perhaps?

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

sabresexperiment1.gif

It's a start. The problem with fixing it is that he's in such an awkward position, like he's leaping out of a hole. It needs legs and a tail. That, plus, his body curving to a point (or squared off in the original) just looks off. Good work, you've made a huge improvement.

Yes, anyone who bought a slug jersey is a dork, especially when the retros are being sold one rack over.

You mean the retros that aren't really retros, but rather alternate jerseys?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Wow, dorks, eh?

Yes, anyone who bought a slug jersey is a dork, especially when the retros are being sold one rack over.

What an insanely stupid thing to say.

Sabres fans who wanted to wear what their team wears is a dork?

You make my brain hurt.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Of course, you must realize, how would that look on a white sweater? ... exactly.

You mean like 1996-2006?

sabres.jpg

No they aren't actually. They won't be selling those in bulk or with current personalization until the modifications are complete. You can get the "throwback" throwbacks in a few places still, though.

You mean the alternate jerseys that ARE retros? If you get one that isn't personalized (no numbers on the front) it's no different then a retro.

Wow, dorks, eh?

You make my brain hurt.

Really? Because they could still buy retros AND still be wearing what their team wears. Just because your team comes out with a horrid logo/uniform package doesn't mean you have to spend money on it. I don't own a Leafs home or road jersey, because I think they're sub par design wise. I stick to my retro alternate and my Wendel Clark Ballard-era jersey.

I'll give your brain some cooling-down time now.

Every time I look at the Buffaslug I think about how it would fare in a fight with other mascots. Then I realize it'd be just like this:

BUFFASLUG:

The Buffaslug always triumphs! Have at you! Come on, then.

[whop]

[CHIEF BLACKHAWK chops the BUFFASLUG's last leg off]

BUFFASLUG:

Oh? All right, we'll call it a draw.

CHIEF BLACKHAWK:

Come, Pittsburgh Penguin.

BUFFASLUG:

Oh. Oh, I see. Running away, eh? You yellow bastards! Come back here and take what's coming to you. I'll bite your legs off!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

You mean the alternate jerseys that ARE retros? If you get one that isn't personalized (no numbers on the front) it's no different then a retro.

Wow, dorks, eh?

You make my brain hurt.

Really? Because they could still buy retros AND still be wearing what their team wears. Just because your team comes out with a horrid logo/uniform package doesn't mean you have to spend money on it. I don't own a Leafs home or road jersey, because I think they're sub par design wise. I stick to my retro alternate and my Wendel Clark Ballard-era jersey.

The logo itself is the only subpar part. The uniforms are just fine. I don't own a new jersey, but I would definitely purchase one if I had the money to. If to your mind that makes me a dork, so be it. Order me up a pocket protector and a pair of glasses that are in need of some tape...

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Wow, dorks, eh?

You make my brain hurt.

The logo itself is the only subpar part. The uniforms are just fine. I don't own a new jersey, but I would definitely purchase one if I had the money to. If to your mind that makes me a dork, so be it. Order me up a pocket protector and a pair of glasses that are in need of some tape...

The jerseys, are IMO, on the plain side. They would be decent if they had some stripes along the waist. Also, the yellow on the underarms is more or less inviciable uless you hold your arms up.

Still, even if they took steps to improve the jersey the slug alone is reason enough not to buy it, IMO.

Call me stupid, but I like the way the white jerseys look on the ice. I think the Sabres look great on the road. There's some sort of movement to the logo, and then you have a team as fast as the Sabres, that movement is exaggerated.

But I still wouldn't buy anything with it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I am also a big fan of the Penguins triangle logo, IMO that is a very underrated logo. The only minor thing that alwys bothered me was the white lines to indicate feathers.

I don't think of Penguins as having feathers (I know they do) in the same context as you would represent for an eagle or hawk. I think without them it's a stronger, bolder logo.

Thanks for all the comments on my Sluggalo modifications, I will be continuing to work on this and other options as time goes on.

Wow, dorks, eh? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the uniform itself. The only problem is the slug itself. Ebod's redo is glorious. It would look excellent on the dark jerseys and maybe can be set off some how on the light jerseys. An additional blue outline or drop shadow, perhaps?

Yes, that's right, I used the D-word. I hope everyone can someday get over the trauma of knowing that there are indeed dorks in the world and, more specifically, that Western New York's dork population shows a strong affinity for the new dork uniforms. :D

I don't know if you live in Buffalo or are a Sabres fan like me, but I've been to a game with the classic uniforms and a game with the new dork uniforms, and there really is no comparison. The classic blue and gold colors are bright and vibrant, the horizontal lines on the jersey and socks are perfect hockey tradition. The new uniforms have the most convoluted arm designs I have ever seen. The blue is WAY too dark. And the worst part is that there is absolutely nothing at the bottom of the jersey. And as bad as they look on the ice, they look 100x worse on people in the crowd. The blue looks like a solid blue shirt with "wacky sleeves" and the white somehow looks like a mu-mu on overweight people. When an overweight person wears the white version, the dark arms blend with their surroundings in the arena and all the focus is on the beer gut pushing the giant white body of the uniform outward. I can't believe that people go out of their way (and even pay money) to look like that in public. It's as baffling as teenagers with "emo hair."

Every single thing about the new uniforms is terrible, with one ironic exception. The numbers on the front are pretty cool but the font they choose makes them impossible to read. The only place the numbers on the front really works is on the throwback uniforms (where they basically don't belong but still look pretty good).

Thanks for all the comments on my Sluggalo modifications, I will be continuing to work on this and other options as time goes on.

The more I look at your logo, the more I like it (and I really liked it to begin with). One of my big problems with the banana slug is that it looks less like a buffalo than any logo in buffalo sports history. Your version is still stylized like the slug but actually looks more like a buffalo than the slug or even the goathead logo. I could see it as a "zoomed-in" version of the original.

Keep at it, this is really great work!

Archived