Bill Belichick

Grish

i dont understand why he wear a sweatshirt with the sleaves cut of. he look so stupid.

Yeah. Nobody wants to appear stupid.

With 3 Super Bowl rings, that's impossible....

Yeah, but he only earned two of them...

Anywho, if my coach won 3 Super Bowl titles, I would still prefer that he did not look like he beat up some homeless dude on the street to get his wardrobe.

If he has to pimp the bleeping Reebok merchandise, he can at least look nice when doing it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Pats fans, and I thought he looked ridiculous.

At first he really disappointed me.

I remember seeing Jimmy Johnson once asked what I thought was a stupid question about his hair always being in place. He replied that it was part of the overall look of professionalism that he wanted from his club, his players and himself.

Every last detail was an professionally maintained as possible.

As decribed, BTG (Belichick The Genius) looked like a vagabond.

It was obvious the football side of his professionalism is not lacking anything.

They destroyed them.

But his attire was embarrassing.

Later I thought he might have been trying to make a statement about how bad you can look, if so, good on him. But on reflection, I doubt it.

The League probably can't do anything about that now, but will move to make a change on this quick smart.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Maybe you're a smart guy and you speak flawlessly. But this is a forum that relies on the typed word to communicate. It's really frustrating to read someone who distracts from any good input they might have with their inability to communicate it.

Thank you.

This is one of the best comments I've read about proper grammar and communication on a message board.

Too many people feel that regular rules of conversation and debating do not apply simply because it's done on a computer monitor. I'm not talking about the occasional typo or hiccup of syntax that plagues us all from time to time. I'm talking about a genuine disregard for making coherent statements, showing disrepect to those who attempt to read it.

People who repeatedly misspell words and blow it off with the "I don't care, you can tell what I mean", should expect to get called out by it, from grammar Nazis and ordinary literates alike.

Again, thank you.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I'm a Pats fans, and I thought he looked ridiculous.

At first he really disappointed me.

I remember seeing Jimmy Johnson once asked what I thought was a stupid question about his hair always being in place. He replied that it was part of the overall look of professionalism that he wanted from his club, his players and himself.

Every last detail was an professionally maintained as possible.

As decribed, BTG (Belichick The Genius) looked like a vagabond.

It was obvious the football side of his professionalism is not lacking anything.

They destroyed them.

But his attire was embarrassing.

Later I thought he might have been trying to make a statement about how bad you can look, if so, good on him. But on reflection, I doubt it.

The League probably can't do anything about that now, but will move to make a change on this quick smart.

Just adding my two cents to what Rob just said.

I'm also a Pats fan, but the fact that the NFL lets its HCs, on MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL, the League's premier national showcase, walking the sideline in what amounts to something that would get most of us who work in an office, downright SENT HOME, is astonishing. This is the same league that fines players thousands for socks too low, too high, tributes to fallen players (Pat Tillman), and end zone celebrations, yet there is no restriction as to how messy or disheveled its coaches look. Talk about "looking the other way".

I love Belichick as much as a Patriots fan can have the capacity to love one team's head coach, but this is ridiculous. It'd be nice if coaches were allowed to display the professionalism 49ers HC Mike Nolan requested last year by wearing a suit and tie - which he was denied.

You wanna talk about a league that has its apparel/attire policies a$$ backward? Look no further than the NFL.

mjr did a really nice business suit template which I can't seem to find at the moment.

But something like that would be a great look on the sidelines, and I get there's plenty of people who would wear NFL ties and jackets to work if they were available.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

For anyone who doesnt pay attention to the NFL or the Patriots, Bill is not a loud or outgoing person. He doesnt like attention and his attire matches that perfectly. It's become sort of his trademark (that and winning). But I guess you're stupid if you wear a sweatshirt, thats what it's all about really. Superbowl rings dont mean a thing in the NFL... Oh Wait.....

Yep and he is also the same guy the Browns fired because he could not produce a winning season.

The point is, as most have stated, players get fined for the simplist of uniform issues. However, the Head Coach, can look like he is going out to paint his house.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

I think Bill Belichick's dress on the sidelines actually kind of adds to his legend - he's like the almost-crazy genius that Microsoft hires and lets him wear anything he wants. Kind of the "Einstein couldn't tie his shoes" thing.

I'm not a Pats fan by any means, but Belichick is the best coach, by far, in the history of the NFL. If I'm the Patriots ownership I'll let him wear whatever the heck he wants.

I'm not a Pats fan by any means, but Belichick is the best coach, by far, in the history of the NFL.

So I suppose Papa Bear Halas is a distant second to the guy who went 36-44 with Cleveland... :rolleyes:

Let's keep this in perspective folks. He's had a nice run the last five years in New England with Brady at QB. Until he does it for 40 years like Halas, or say, Landry - he's simply above average...

Moose

I think Bill Belichick's dress on the sidelines actually kind of adds to his legend - he's like the almost-crazy genius that Microsoft hires and lets him wear anything he wants. Kind of the "Einstein couldn't tie his shoes" thing.

Exactly. That's why he does it - it's an ego thing. Self-aggrandizement. That's cool, but let's not dress it up, as it were, in false modesty.

I'm not a Pats fan by any means, but Belichick is the best coach, by far, in the history of the NFL. If I'm the Patriots ownership I'll let him wear whatever the heck he wants.

Nonsense. You can make the case that he's the best coach in the game right now, but of all time? Kids today, no sense of history....

When he wins a couple more, then we'll talk. Three in five years is amazing, but there are other coaches with more championships. Lambeau and Halas spring to mind, who each won twice as many titles as Belichick. And until Belichick can win five in nine years, he isn't even close....

luisart47,

I really don't know why you referenced my post while making yours. We pretty much said the same thing. I applied the situation to my personal team, the Jags, and their coach, Del Rio. And you said Bill he wins SBs and thats what matters, I think I pretty much said the same thing. It all boils down to Ws and Ls. So whats the deal here ??

Yeah, I was trying to reinforce your comment, all you care is that your team wins this sunday. Period.

People put too much attention to stupid things like what a coach is wearing, for christ sake, let him wear whatever he wants. There are too much things to worry about in life to put another thing of pressure in something comepletely useless like the "attire". Gosh!

Who says what's a good attire? Who says what he should wear? Isn't he entitled to use whatever he pleases? He feels comfortable with what he uses, he doesn't waste any time of his day thinking what he should wear. Maybe other coaches, and people in general should stop worrying about what will they wear and rather use it on more important things.

I know this forum is for discussing team logos. If the discussion was about the logo on the sweatshirt being too small or wrong, or the alternate, or anything like that, fine. But the discussion was about Bellichick looking like a homeless person, which was, IMHO going a bit too far away.

luisart47,

I really don't know why you referenced my post while making yours. We pretty much said the same thing. I applied the situation to my personal team, the Jags, and their coach, Del Rio. And you said Bill he wins SBs and thats what matters, I think I pretty much said the same thing. It all boils down to Ws and Ls. So whats the deal here ??

Yeah, I was trying to reinforce your comment, all you care is that your team wins this sunday. Period.

People put too much attention to stupid things like what a coach is wearing, for christ sake, let him wear whatever he wants. There are too much things to worry about in life to put another thing of pressure in something comepletely useless like the "attire". Gosh!

Who says what's a good attire? Who says what he should wear? Isn't he entitled to use whatever he pleases? He feels comfortable with what he uses, he doesn't waste any time of his day thinking what he should wear. Maybe other coaches, and people in general should stop worrying about what will they wear and rather use it on more important things.

I know this forum is for discussing team logos. If the discussion was about the logo on the sweatshirt being too small or wrong, or the alternate, or anything like that, fine. But the discussion was about Bellichick looking like a homeless person, which was, IMHO going a bit too far away.

Then you still don't get the point of these forums. What a coach wears is a perfectly acceptable topic to bring up around here.

The analogy to "real life" is apt, as the position of an NFL head coach requires a certain decorum that Pop Warner and your neighbourhood high school team doesn't require, much like. It makes no sense that Belichick should be allowed to wear loungewear on the sidelines on game day, plain and simple....Finally, your anecdote is nice, but it is severely flawed. (1) As you stated, he is the president of the company, and it's not quite a stretch to say he's probably the owner of the company also. As the owner, he would have the prerogative to dress however he wants. Belichick is not in the same position, as he is an employee of the New England Patriots, and the NFL by extention. (2) The supposed equation of brilliance and casual clothes is nice and all, but if anything, the dot-com boom (and bust) showed us that brilliance and casual clothes isn't all what it's cracked up to be...

I think you're putting too much stock into the amount of respect a leader (of a team, business or anything else) generates from his subordinates by choosing to dress in a certain manner. I know that some people out there see a guy in a nice suit and a tie and automatically treat him differently, but many people don't. Usually the ones who kiss up to and/or fear the guy in the BOSS suit are the ones lacking creativity and depth anyway.

That's why you often see these innovative, "outside-the-box" managers going to work in pretty casual attire and having no trouble being treated with the respect they deserve. They don't meticulously follow the established rules when it comes to running their business, so why should they follow the rules about what kind of uniform someone in their position needs to wear? For one thing, people are happier and more comfortable when they can dress how they'd like, and on top of that, many people find that a boss is more approachable when he doesn't look like, well, a boss.

So, to bring this back to Belichick, it seems to me that he resorts to other measures than his choice of clothing to gain the respect of his players, and it seems to work quite well. They're grown men, most of them aren't morons, and if their coach was on the sidelines in a suit and a fedora, it would probably make them respect him less and feel less comfortable.

Should Belichick care about how his bumwear may make the league look bad? Nope. He's not out there to be some football ambassador to the world or do anything other than win games and collect his checks.

I think you're putting too much stock into the amount of respect a leader (of a team, business or anything else) generates from his subordinates by choosing to dress in a certain manner. I know that some people out there see a guy in a nice suit and a tie and automatically treat him differently, but many people don't. Usually the ones who kiss up to and/or fear the guy in the BOSS suit are the ones lacking creativity and depth anyway.

That's why you often see these innovative, "outside-the-box" managers going to work in pretty casual attire and having no trouble being treated with the respect they deserve. They don't meticulously follow the established rules when it comes to running their business, so why should they follow the rules about what kind of uniform someone in their position needs to wear? For one thing, people are happier and more comfortable when they can dress how they'd like, and on top of that, many people find that a boss is more approachable when he doesn't look like, well, a boss.

So, to bring this back to Belichick, it seems to me that he resorts to other measures than his choice of clothing to gain the respect of his players, and it seems to work quite well. They're grown men, most of them aren't morons, and if their coach was on the sidelines in a suit and a fedora, it would probably make them respect him less and feel less comfortable.

Should Belichick care about how his bumwear may make the league look bad? Nope. He's not out there to be some football ambassador to the world or do anything other than win games and collect his checks.

These are some very salient points. However,

landry.jpg

Come on.

Icecap79,

I never once said we shouldnt be talking about this subject, I'm not the logo-board police. I merely opine while respecting the opines of others. I wasnt pointing any fingers. I'm just open minded and wanna bounce ideas off. Dont box me into something I never was shipped in, in the first place. Thanks.

LibertyBowl.png

Icecap79,

I never once said we shouldnt be talking about this subject, I'm not the logo-board police. I merely opine while respecting the opines of others. I wasnt pointing any fingers. I'm just open minded and wanna bounce ideas off. Dont box me into something I never was shipped in, in the first place. Thanks.

Well you said that didn't care what a coach wears, as long as his team picks up the "W". Most here, myself included, would agree with you when you get right down to it. This particular section of the CCSLC, however, is devoted to discussions about logos and uniforms, in effect what the players wear. In the end what a coach wears, or what a logo/uniform look like don't effect how a team plays (look at the Sabres for example). Still we come here to discuss such matters. I was just pointing out the fact that you said you didn't care what he dressed in as long as he wins. That's kind of contradictory to the purpose of this section of the forum.

Also, I would like to apologize if you felt that my previous posts in this thread were directed mostly at you. They were not. They were directed at luisart47, the guy who called us all evil capitalists for discussing a NFL coach's choice of dress.

I applied the situation to my personal team, the Jags, and their coach, Del Rio.

Perhaps you should use a different example than Del Rio, since that cool leather jacket made him the default winner of the award for best-dressed coach in the NFL.

My turn...

First of all, I'm still 4 months shy of hittin the 2-5, but um...Belichick the best coach in the history of the NFL? If there was any info about where the guy who wrote that lived and/or was from, I'd swear up and down that was blatant homerism TO A "T"! True, he may be the best in the game right now, on the merits of those 3 SB trophies, but of all time? Um...no. Good examples were brought up in George Halas and Vince Lombardi (whom thoses 3 SB trophies od Belichick's are *AHEM* NAMED AFTER). I could also think of a few more, like, say, Tom Landry--and how about BILL WALSH of the 49ers! I mean, seriously...look at the head coaches of the NFL today. Roughly about a THIRD of them come from that 49er pipeline...John Gruden, Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, Jim Mora Jr, just to name a (VERY) few. And don't even get me started on his "West Coast Offense" philosophies...STILL IN USE TODAY!.

OKAY NEXT TOPIC!

Coaches' attire slots nicely into the aesthetic of this forum. Uniforms, after all, are a team's visual presentation of themselves. Players wear them, and so do (most) coaches (even if they don't have jerseys, numbers, OR pads)...if that were not the case, there would not have been such a big blow-up over the recent uniform revamp of the [/officials in the NFL. Excellent points have been made about the league fining players for wearing socks too high, too low, or not at all; wearing dedications or some semblance of a representation of such (and really, why in the HELL would the league not allow Jake Plummer to wear a dedication decal to PAT TILLMAN, who has posthumously become on the NFL's marquee torch-bearers?); and all other types of infractions, and then lets Belichick slide with his bummish attire? It's baffling. As "traditional" as the NFL wants to seem to be and as much of it as they claim to want to honor, why turn down the request of Mike Nolan to wear a suit, which, really, would be paying homage to the game's great head coaches such as Lombardi, Landry, and even Hank Stram (who had the team logo neatly emblazoned on his sport coat pocket) just to keep in line with it's endorsement deal with Reebok? (At least Mike Tice found a way to make it work--league apparel sweater over that shirt and tie.) This policy really is, as someone mentioned prior to me, a$$ backwards. And really, outside of Brady, the only other really recognizeable face of the Patriots (the league's new "dynasty") IS Belichick. That alone should merit some type of consideration of appearance. Whether or not he does it just to "stay out of the spotlight" (which I think is really just feeding into some personal type of ego trip) really shouldn't matter. As a head coach, for all intents and purposes, he is the LEADER of the on-field representatives of the company he workds for, which is the New England Patriots franchise of the National Football League. Call him "field supervisor", if you will. And as such (and ANY rank-and file employee should be able to agree with this), there are certain appearance guidelines with which his subordinates AND HE HIMSELF should comply. You hear it all the time--players talking about the NFL is "a business", so the analogy of the league as a sport and a professional business organization (which it is) is COMPLETELY accurate. Just for further emphasis, think of a grocery store Manager. You best believe he/she wants all his/her employees looking sharp and professional, so as to exude that image to the eye of the public, and you BEST BELIEVE he/she she wouldn't be caught trudging out into open view of the public with some half-cut-off sweatshirt (with or without hoody over his/her head) and some windbreaker pants and sneaks. That ain't nowhere CLOSE to professional, nor would it reinforce the standards of porfessionalism that manager would expect of those underneath his/her charge.

So shall it be with Bill Beliechick. And the league really needs to pick up the ball on this, because people (mostly those of this community, since we all have more than a passing interest in these types of things, but others on the outside, as well, as witnessed by the remarks of the wife of one of the posters in this thread) DO NOTICE...they ARE noticing.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived