Best and Worst sports cities..........

PeytonManningRocks

Well at least no one has said LA for best sports town.

As for the bestm it's New York. They have 9 teams, what other metropolitan area has 9 teams. Also the city pretty much revolves around sports, sports are the big entertainment option in NY.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the bestm it's New York. They have 9 teams, what other metropolitan area has 9 teams. Also the city pretty much revolves around sports, sports are the big entertainment option in NY.

What other city has 7+ Million people and that is not including the surronding areas. Plus it is probably the largest vacation destination in the world. Any city with 7 million people can support 9 teams.

saBS.png

What other city has 7+ Million people and that is not including the surronding areas. Plus it is probably the largest vacation destination in the world. Any city with 7 million people can support 9 teams.

LA and that is probably the worst sports city.

Yeah, you got a point there. LA is horrible, they cant even support a NFL team. Baseball is the only sport that works there.

saBS.png

Yeah, you got a point there. LA is horrible, they cant even support a NFL team. Baseball is the only sport that works there.

What about the Lakers? Even here in Jersey no one can shoot crumpled paper into a trashcan without yelling "Kobe." And the Clippers are even better then the Lakers!

nyg1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifyankees4-sm.gifknicks-sm.gif

mysigdj9.png

Naturally, when you think of the best sports cities, you have to think of how well they support their teams even when the teams are lousy.

So the best three have to be Boston, Chicago and Green Bay.

I know, Green Bay is the funny one in here because it only has one major sport and it's really not a major-league city. But when you look at how that city has supported the Packers when they are lousy, you really have to consider them among the best.

Now, my picks on the best per major sport:

Baseball: St. Louis. Yes, even over Boston.

Football: Green Bay. Put Denver No. 2 on this list.

Basketball: Boston. Philly might be No. 2 here.

Hockey: The Twin Cities. Yes, even more than Montreal and Toronto. Even more than Detroit.

The worst three overall are Los Angeles, Miami and San Diego.

I have to give some attention to the whole state of Wisconsin. They are sports nuts. We all know about Green Bay, but even in Milwaukee their sports crazy. I was shocked at the support and passion of Brewers fans. Plus I hear the Bucks dont do too bad, and the Badgers have a ton of support.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

I think Boston and New York are up there. St Louis certainly deserves special consideration. I never hear about bad crowds at Blues, Rams, or Cards games. I could be wrong, however.

Pittsburgh is a special case too. The Pirates aren't worth discussing, but the Steelers fans back their team with college-like intensity. At the professional level, that's pretty special to watch.

I'd like to echo comments about Seattle. We've got three major teams here, plus UW athletics. However, it feels like Seattle's a big city that happens to have big-time sports. I think they could disappear tomorrow (like the Sonics will soon enough) and it wouldn't be that much of an issue. Well, except for that brand-new fancy stadiums that were just built..

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I've always thought that Boston, Philly, NYC and Denver were great sports cities.

I'll harp on one area that hasn't been mentioned as a lukewarm sports market- the Washington, DC area. I live here and love all our local teams, but I wish we were a better sports city.

The ONLY pro team that seems to matter around there are the Redskins. And while the season ticket waiting list is still long, and all games are "sold out", I've been to plenty of November games at FedEx while the Skins still had a decent shot at something, where there were patches of the upper deck with nobody in them at all. This on top of the countless fans of the opponent in the stadium as well.

DC isn't great for a few reasons- the main problem with the Skins is that FedEx field sucks. I'd much rather stay at home at watch them than to spend 3 hours commuting to and from there.

Second, this area is full of transplants from other parts of the US, and those fans (understandably so) bring their allegiences along with them. Outside the Redskins, the Caps/Wizards/Nationals have a fairly small albeit die hard set of fans. Nowhere near the fanatics that a lot of other East Coast cities have for their sports.

And the bandwagon jumping around here is insane too.

Would I be getting too philosophical if I asked what the criteria are for a good or bad sports city? I mean, it's logically impossible to have any kind of intelligent discussion unless we know what we're discussing. One person's good may be another person's baaaaaad.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I've always thought that Boston, Philly, NYC and Denver were great sports cities.

I'll harp on one area that hasn't been mentioned as a lukewarm sports market- the Washington, DC area. I live here and love all our local teams, but I wish we were a better sports city.

The ONLY pro team that seems to matter around there are the Redskins. And while the season ticket waiting list is still long, and all games are "sold out", I've been to plenty of November games at FedEx while the Skins still had a decent shot at something, where there were patches of the upper deck with nobody in them at all. This on top of the countless fans of the opponent in the stadium as well.

DC isn't great for a few reasons- the main problem with the Skins is that FedEx field sucks. I'd much rather stay at home at watch them than to spend 3 hours commuting to and from there.

Second, this area is full of transplants from other parts of the US, and those fans (understandably so) bring their allegiences along with them. Outside the Redskins, the Caps/Wizards/Nationals have a fairly small albeit die hard set of fans. Nowhere near the fanatics that a lot of other East Coast cities have for their sports.

And the bandwagon jumping around here is insane too.

Tell me about it.During the NFL playoffs this year,my school turned into Nova Pittsburgh.DC sucks as a sports town.The reason mainly is that seats and boxes at games are corperate events.

The Red Sox and Patriots alone comprise a bigger and more passionate fanbase than every franchise in Toronto combined. Yes, that includes the Leafs.

Riiight. I know Boston's just used to having minor league hockey and all in town, so I'm not surprised you don't understand the depth of the hockey in the psyche in Toronto and Canada by extension. However, I must say, that for having such a large passionate fanbase as Red Sox Nation that's so much larger than anything in Toronto could ever muster, I don't exactly see "Red Sox Baseball Night" on weekly on the flagship nationwide cable sports network during the baseball season. Leafs Hockey Night on TSN? Take a look on TSN on Tuesday nights...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

The Red Sox and Patriots alone comprise a bigger and more passionate fanbase than every franchise in Toronto combined. Yes, that includes the Leafs.

Take a look on TSN on Tuesday nights...

Just look at Fox and ESPN,and trust me,a lot of nights are "Red Sox or Yankees Baseball Night".....

...but it's not called "Red Sox Baseball Night." There is Molson Canadian Leafs Hockey Night on Tuesdays on TSN, which has, inexplicably enough, has the Toronto Maple Leafs every time it's shown. If you want to get into national coverage, the traditional (and modern) saturation of the Leafs on HNIC dwarfs anything the Red Sox (the team we are talking about in the first place, not Gotham's Own) could ever hope to have.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

New York City.

The best and smartest sports city.

The same fans who boo A-Rod, who is on track to becoming one of the 10 greatest players of all-time, because he isn't a "true" Yankee? :rolleyes:

I couldn't have said it better, booing the former AL MVP the season before, how do you call this the smartest sports city, NY is going to run him out of there, then try find a better 3-bag player.

I don't know how anyone can make Boston out to be one of the best sports markets. Sure they have a good history with sports but lets go down the list and I'm going to compare it with my city Toronto...

Baseball:

The Red Sox are definitely ahead of the Jays, though before the strike Toronto was one of the better MLB markets, that excitement is coming back with the new ownership that actually cares again. Still they are a middle of the pack team, not a florida marlins case or even expos.

Basketball:

Raptors usually kick the Celtics butt in attendance throughout the years, even last year when the Raptors were so bad, I mean terrible, worse than the Celtics but the Raptors had better attendance than the Celts. Not to mention that the Celtics have so many banners in the "Garden" and are known for winning, what are the Raptors known for? Vince Carter and losing? Trust me the new shine of an expansion franchise is long gone.

Hockey:

No contest here, the bruins draw flies...

Football:

If Toronto had an NFL team that stadium would be packed. People really love their NFL football here, but in Boston the Pats weren't even selling out until they won a few Superbowls.

If Boston is a great sports town in many people's eyes than Toronto is most definitely a great one too.

HHAHAHAHAHAHA..... HAHAHAHAH! Boston is a fickle sports town. You guys didn't even know who the Pats were before Brady became who he is. I don't argue with the red sox fan support.

Chicago is probably the best sports town in North America if I must say. The worst has to be Atlanta, I still don't know how they have all those teams when their buildings are more than half empty on any given night.

Ok, some controversie here, but I'm staying all Canadian.

Best Sports City: Montreal.

Montreal got a bad rap because of the Expos, But Montreal has never been a bandwagon city. Montreal hockey fans are some of the smartest and best in the conuntry (booing of the Star Spangeled Banner notwithstanding). The Alouettes have sold out ever home game since 1999 and are some of the most passionate in the CFL. As for the Expos, as my dad always said, 5000 fans at Olympic stadium made more noise than 20000 at the Skydome. Anyone who went to an Expos game after 1995 were always among the smartes baseball fans out there. As for their attendance, Fans in Montreal knew that it was only a matter of time before they left no matter how often they came out once the new stadum was killed. Couple that with Loria comming in & taking the Expos off english TV & radio & you end up with bitter fans. But if the new stadium happened the Expos would easily outdraw the Blue Jays every year,.

Worst Sports City: Toronto

Ok, don't get me started on the self proclaimed "Leaf-nation" Leaf hockey fans are the most ignorant around. No matter what year their team is the favorite to win the Stanley Cup. As for Blue Jay fans. Most of the people at a Blue Jays game couldn't tell you the score if you pointed out the scoreboard to them. & they are way to quiet, the quote about 5000 vs. 20000 comes into play here. Toronto fans go where it is fashionable to be seen. In the early 90's it was at Blue Jays games. In the late 90's/2000-2001, It was Raptor games.

CanadiensBanners.jpg

banners-1-1.jpg

Archived