buffalo b-ball team changes logo

offthepost

Okay. Here's more stupidity at it's finset. The Gorilla was racist. I don't get it. A gorilla is a very powerful creature in the wild. The black community went too far on this one.

Here is the stupidity part. No one saw this. Couldn't the panther (black panther), I know some light bulbs just went off, be associated with the Black Panther Party of the 1960's? Most of the players on the Buffalo team are black. This could be seen as racist to the white communitys.

I'm just saying.

Can some one tell me how some black people were offended by Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars Episode 1. I asked a friend of mine about that, he is black by the way, and he told me I had to be black to understand.

Sorry to disappoint everyone. I'm a white guy. I just can't make the connection.

There is a slang that our elder people use for African-Americans that ties into that old logo. Put that with the fact that the gorilla was playing basketball, and you can put 1+1 together.

Besides the old logo sucked, and the new one sucks just a little less.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you don't see why it is racist, you haven't been keeping up on recent sports news. anybody else read about Mutombo getting into it with a fan over being called a monkey? anybody remember that Mutombo didnt get in trouble and the fan got banned? eh, nevermind, if you dont get it you probably never will.

Calling a black man a "monkey" is racist.

Having a monkey for a team mascot, even in a sport dominated by black men, is not itself racist.

What about the LA Angels? No more Rally Monkey?

oh forget it, just name the damn club Buffalo Basketball Club with no logo just a wordmarkand be done with it.

its apparant that every team name and logo offends somebody. So Buffalo Basketball Club it shall be. :rolleyes:

Buffalo Basketball Team, club is offensive to seals. :P

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Why does Green Day's 'American Idiot' come to mind when I read a story like this?

Can our country get any more conservative? Jesus H. Christ!!!! (The 'H' stands for Horatio by the way)

This has zero to do with conservatism and everything to do with leftist political correctness run awry.

A dim observation like this doesn't surprise me, coming from someone embracing Green Day's "insight."

I want to hear from the people who had the stupidity to complain about the "racism" in this logo.... Because it's people like that - and the morons who cater to their complaints - who keep racism and prejudice going so strong in this country anyway.

Why does Green Day's 'American Idiot' come to mind when I read a story like this?

Can our country get any more conservative? Jesus H. Christ!!!! (The 'H' stands for Horatio by the way)

This has zero to do with conservatism and everything to do with leftist political correctness run awry.

A dim observation like this doesn't surprise me, coming from someone embracing Green Day's "insight."

A dim response like yours doesn't surprise me EITHER, seeing as you favor a direct personal attack instead of expressing your thoughts within the context of the argument.

The reference to American Idiot was in jest, but I see noone on this board has a sense of humor anymore and or irony.

Stepping away from this childish personal mud slinging and back to the actual discussion...

...People need to stop reading too much into a logo and what negative conotations it may have and focus on the positives instead. My opinion, this racist argument holds no water. The logo may be somewhat in poor taste, but in no way 'racist'.

Can you legally have a logo for a Buffalo team that doesn't feature a buffalo? I thought it was in the bylaws or something. Anyway, in Madden I generally take over the Bills, move them to Buffalo (it's true, it's true--Buffalo is a choice for relocation). Then the game tells you that your fans are pissed about the move and attendance will suffer.

It wasn't in poor taste at all! It's a frigging gorilla. For as long as teams have used nicknames, it has been popular to name them after fierce wild animals - tigers, lions and bears (oh my!). I guess everyone is either so paranoid that everybody else is a racist toward their particular ethnicity or whatever (and in this day of age, ethnic/racial/whatever variations are growing harder to define and more and more useless), or they're so afraid that someone else will be so weak-minded that they'll feel offended by anything they come across.

Most attempts that I see of people trying to combat racism are done by people who, deep down, actually feel there are vast differences in people who have different skin tones, and that one set of humans is superior to this or the other set. When I see people arguing in favor of affirmative action, for example, I see people saying that members of minority groups are by nature inferior and need an added advantage in order to be on equal footing.

It's just like the vegans and animal rights activists who won't eat meat because they don't want the big bad human race to pick on those poor, defenseless animals. By doing so, they are putting human beings above the rest of the animal kingdom and forgetting that we're just animals ourselves, and since we are also governed by the same laws of Nature, we are as free to dominate any other animal as it is free to dominate us.

Can you legally have a logo for a Buffalo team that doesn't feature a buffalo? I thought it was in the bylaws or something. Anyway, in Madden I generally take over the Bills, move them to Buffalo (it's true, it's true--Buffalo is a choice for relocation). Then the game tells you that your fans are pissed about the move and attendance will suffer.

I hear the Buffalo Chamber of Commerce was sending a nasty lil' letter to the organization. Rumor has it they recommended a Black Buffalo with a silver back hanging from a hoop.

What if turns out that the team was made up of all (or the majority) white players? Then in a year or two more black people made the team... The civil leaders would then force a name change?

If the logo is viewed as racist, but the team name stays... how does that correct what was viewed as racist. A Silverback is a gorilla. They are still called the "Silverbacks". They essectially are still called and referred to as a gorilla. Why is the name not changed? I guess it's not "that" racist then is it?

Are white people then entitled to feel uncomforatable when they see a black men's team (everyone says the team is going to be black players) who use a "black panther" for a logo... or not? Is a black panther really the propor subsitute?

I want to hear from the people who had the stupidity to complain about the "racism" in this logo.... Because it's people like that - and the morons who cater to their complaints - who keep racism and prejudice going so strong in this country anyway.

They're called Liberals. Good Luck getting an anknowledgement of being wrong out of them.

Oh, and BTW, Green Day? Now the most OVERrated band, and one of the worst, now, too. Were much better before when just stoner punks.

It wasn't in poor taste at all! It's a frigging gorilla. For as long as teams have used nicknames, it has been popular to name them after fierce wild animals - tigers, lions and bears (oh my!). I guess everyone is either so paranoid that everybody else is a racist toward their particular ethnicity or whatever (and in this day of age, ethnic/racial/whatever variations are growing harder to define and more and more useless), or they're so afraid that someone else will be so weak-minded that they'll feel offended by anything they come across.

Most attempts that I see of people trying to combat racism are done by people who, deep down, actually feel there are vast differences in people who have different skin tones, and that one set of humans is superior to this or the other set. When I see people arguing in favor of affirmative action, for example, I see people saying that members of minority groups are by nature inferior and need an added advantage in order to be on equal footing.

It's just like the vegans and animal rights activists who won't eat meat because they don't want the big bad human race to pick on those poor, defenseless animals. By doing so, they are putting human beings above the rest of the animal kingdom and forgetting that we're just animals ourselves, and since we are also governed by the same laws of Nature, we are as free to dominate any other animal as it is free to dominate us.

But that makes too much sense. we can't have that. :P

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Yea... because it's not like this country has a history of white men making money off of Black charicatures/stereoypes or anything. (And if you couldn't tell that I was being sarcastic, go to eBay and do a search for the n-word.)

But yea... people who argue for affirmative action MUST feel that "minority" groups are inferior and need "special privleges." After all, everyone is afforded all the same advantages and opportunities regardless of race, class or gender, right?

brew.png

But yea... people who argue for affirmative action MUST feel that "minority" groups are inferior and need "special privleges." After all, everyone is afforded all the same advantages and opportunities regardless of race, class or gender, right?

:shocked:

That is a whole other can of worms. I'm not sure this is the forum for that discussion.

Archived