MLB Awards

KevinMcD

He had the highest average of any NL playoff player, and more homers and RBIs than any player who made the playoffs. Not to mention he's an excellent fielder, and his team won the World Series. Case closed.

Good thing playoff performance isn't factored into MVP voting. If your team makes the playoffs? Definitely? What you do after October 3? Nope.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About all I'm certain of is that Albert Pujols being the NL MVP, and if I don't see him win unanimously I'll be shocked. He had the highest average of any NL playoff player, and more homers and RBIs than any player who made the playoffs. Not to mention he's an excellent fielder, and his team won the World Series. Case closed.

That said, Ryan Howard did have a good year, and if the Phillies are smart, they will get him to sign a 10-year, $2M contract so that he will play in Philadelphia for years to come.

2 mil total or 2 mil per for 10 years?!? For that production?!? Snowball's chance in hell, dog. See Jose Reyes and David Wright for more palatable numbers.

Understand, however, that I also believe that no baseball player (or any sportsman in particular) is worth more than $200,000 a year.

LvZYtbZ.png

About all I'm certain of is that Albert Pujols being the NL MVP, and if I don't see him win unanimously I'll be shocked. He had the highest average of any NL playoff player, and more homers and RBIs than any player who made the playoffs. Not to mention he's an excellent fielder, and his team won the World Series. Case closed.

That said, Ryan Howard did have a good year, and if the Phillies are smart, they will get him to sign a 10-year, $2M contract so that he will play in Philadelphia for years to come.

2 mil total or 2 mil per for 10 years?!? For that production?!? Snowball's chance in hell, dog. See Jose Reyes and David Wright for more palatable numbers.

Understand, however, that I also believe that no baseball player (or any sportsman in particular) is worth more than $200,000 a year.

Understand, however:

1) The collectively bargained minimum salary for a baseball player is $380,000 next season.

2) The people offering and/or signing the contracts don't give a :censored: what you think.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Freakin' horsecrap on the GGs. Yadi threw out 44% of baserunners this year. Asmus? 22% 2 points for asmus was a better ERA, and 1 passed ball to 7 for molina. But Molina changes the game. Mangers can't run, they can't hit and run, runners on first get small secondary leads, all because this kid has a freakin' cannon.

Ausmus had about 180 more chances and 190 more put outs than Yadier had. He committed 50% less errors in more innings and was part of 50% more double plays. Yadier allowed seven passed balls. Ausmus only allowed one. Yadier has a better arm, but there's a lot more that goes into being a catcher than gunning down base stealers.

After a few years the Gold Glove becomes a reputation thing you've won it before you'll win it again.

Kinda like USC being a good football team.

Save the slugalo.

Kinda like USC being a good football team.

Uh huh.

FYI, Southern California has played more non-conference regular season games against ranked teams since 2002 than any other BCS school in Division 1-A except Miami (FL)? Coincidently, they also have the best record in Division 1-A in that span also.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Mike Cameron? Are you kidding? Hawpe, Pierre, Gonzalez, Bay, and Murton all deserve it more than he does. I could even make a case that three of them deserve it more than Jones.

Cameron got it because he went the whole year without colliding with anyone. With Giles and Sledge in the outfield that's more of an accomplishment than one might think.

Besides, I believe Cameron is only bested by Andruw Jones in center field. As for first, Pujols might be the MVP and surely he is a great defensive first baseman, but I think Adrian Gonzalez should garner some attention for his defensive work.

EDIT: Oh and Brassbonanza, you don't get a gold glove for a single play. He's no iron glove, but golden? I don't think so.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Freakin' horsecrap on the GGs. Yadi threw out 44% of baserunners this year. Asmus? 22% 2 points for asmus was a better ERA, and 1 passed ball to 7 for molina. But Molina changes the game. Mangers can't run, they can't hit and run, runners on first get small secondary leads, all because this kid has a freakin' cannon.

Ausmus had about 180 more chances and 190 more put outs than Yadier had. He committed 50% less errors in more innings and was part of 50% more double plays. Yadier allowed seven passed balls. Ausmus only allowed one. Yadier has a better arm, but there's a lot more that goes into being a catcher than gunning down base stealers.

But Yadi's major contribution to stopping other teams running game far outweighs the few extra things Ausmus had.

Ausmus threw out 17 of 77 (22%) attempted base stealers.

Molina threw out 29 of 66 (44%).

That's a HUGE impact, and the playoffs proved how scary his arm was as a lot of guys just wouldn't run on him.

If you really think 2 errors is that much better than 4 then fine. If you really think 9 double plays is that much better than 6 (and I should point out Yadi has less innings to get DP since you used that only where it helped your argument) then fine.

Plus, again, Molina doesn't just throw out baserunners stealing, he picks them off first base! A LOT! Not only do guys not run on him, they're scared to even get a lead on him.

I feel pretty confident saying Molina has the most positive defensive impact on a game from the catcher's position in the league.

Ausmus is a fine defensive catcher, but he won this one on reputation.

But Yadi's major contribution to stopping other teams running game far outweighs the few extra things Ausmus had.

Ausmus threw out 17 of 77 (22%) attempted base stealers.

Molina threw out 29 of 66 (44%).

That's a HUGE impact, and the playoffs proved how scary his arm was as a lot of guys just wouldn't run on him.

If you really think 2 errors is that much better than 4 then fine. If you really think 9 double plays is that much better than 6 (and I should point out Yadi has less innings to get DP since you used that only where it helped your argument) then fine.

Plus, again, Molina doesn't just throw out baserunners stealing, he picks them off first base! A LOT! Not only do guys not run on him, they're scared to even get a lead on him.

I feel pretty confident saying Molina has the most positive defensive impact on a game from the catcher's position in the league.

Ausmus is a fine defensive catcher, but he won this one on reputation.

Bobby Abreu won a gold glove last year. That alone should be all you need to know about how much that particular award means.

Also, Willmorris, Ryan Howard must play a few more years before he is even eligible for arbitration, let alone free agency. If the Phillies were smart (and they're not), they'd throw him a little bone for having the season he did, but then wait on any kind of long-term deal until the time comes. See Pat Burrell for the reasons why you don't go nuts when a player still has a few more cheap years left.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My biggest gripe..

...Derek Jeter won the fricken Hank Aaron Award in the American League? Are you on crack?

I could name at least 5 hitters who easily deserve it over Jeter, who didn't have a prolific offensive season at ALL. Hell, when you have a guy like Ortiz who absolutely dominated nearly every single offensive category in '06, I don't see how he doesn't walk away with the hardware.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Silver Sluggers came out today....

LINK

AL

DH/P David Ortiz - BOS

C Joe Mauer - MIN

1B Justin Morneau - MIN

2B Robinson Cano - NYY

SS Derek Jeter - NYY

3B Joe Crede - CWS

OF Jermaine Dye - CWS

OF Vladimir Guerrero - ANA

OF Manny Ramirez - BOS

NL

P Carlos Zambrano - CHC

C Brian McCann - ATL

1B Ryan Howard - PHI

2B Chase Utley - PHI

SS Jose Reyes - NYM

3B Miguel Cabrera - FLA

OF Carlos Beltran - NYM

OF Alfonso Soriano - WSH

OF Matt Holliday - COL

saBS.png

Pujols got robbed on the Silver Slugger. The guy's top 3 in the NL in all three Triple Crown categories and still doesn't get it?

Unfortunately, he plays in the same league and position as one Ryan Howard. So I can see why he didn't get it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Pujols got robbed on the Silver Slugger. The guy's top 3 in the NL in all three Triple Crown categories and still doesn't get it?

Should Howard get the MVP, then Pujols gets robbed. I won't be pissed if Howard gets it, but I'll feel like it went to the wrong guy.

For the Silver Slugger though, the right choice was made. First in HR and RBI by 9 and 12, and eighth with a solid .313 average. That should be and is Howard's award.

EDIT: Oh and Brassbonanza, you don't get a gold glove for a single play. He's no iron glove, but golden? I don't think so.

Actually, I can think of quite a few nice catches he made this season.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Nice job Matt Holliday on getting a Silver Slugger Award and I think Jamey Carroll should've won a GG at 2nd base over Orlando Hudson.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Archived