Reds New Unis

redlegs420

There is some news in Wikipedia!!! You can see the "new" mascot's design: a retro version of Mr. Red.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Red

Runningman.gif

The modern version of "Mr. Red", a/k/a "The Running Man" from 1999-2006.

CIN_2967.gif

The "retro" version of the 1955 "Mr. Red", unveiled in 2007.

I'm thinking... that if the '99-'06 Mr. Red was wearing white with red pinstripes and some black details... and the new design of Mr. Red shows us its white and red clothes... so the new unis would not use anymore black.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

The new logo has several differences from the retro one posted above. I think it's an improvement over the previous running man.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

i'm mostly a fan of the mustache...

i need a mustache like that one.

Ask one for free from Rollie Fingers.

200px-RolliefingersAPphoto.jpg

man, i hope they get rid of the black hat, the black sleeves and incorperate and "old-time" mr red. that would be sweet!

The black caps are gone, as are the black sleeves. Vests and pinstripes are gone, too, I think.

Friday, December 1 at 5:00pm is the day and time.

As I said when I put those running men.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I think they both have their charms. It's a case, a rare one, where you can't go wrong with either.

I tend to agree. Let me throw this into the mix, however. Of the modern running men, I prefer the one from the '70s and '80s that wore no. 27, whose uniform lacked pinstripes and who was running the other direction.

CIN_2967.gif

The "retro" version of the 1955 "Mr. Red", unveiled in 2007.

As someone said, you can't go wrong with either Mr. Red. As a vintage base ball player, though, I love how the alleged new Mr. Red is dressed very much like a member of the 1869 Red Stockings, famously the first (openly) all-proffessional baseball team. To make it a real throwback, though, they need to ditch the "Red Stockings" script and put an old-English "C" on his chest, like this:

reds4.jpg

Still, for me there's just something a little more fun about the purported new Mr. Red than the running man, whose uniformity of line thickness and perfectly rendered logos just seem a bit too "corporate" for my taste. He's a good logo, but he lacks a sense of spontaneity. He looks like a logo drawn by a very efficient committee. And he has too much black.

Were the new, retro Mr. Red to be presented as a concept here, I would have to point out how poorly rendered is his left leg, especially where his stocking meets his knickers. Looks like something I would do in my first draft in Illustrator. Too much foreshortening, for one thing, and the two bits of leg don't line up along the same line.

20082614447.png

I think the new retro-inspired "Mr. Red" looks a little different than the figure shown above. On the one I saw, the cap is more boxy than rounded, and there is a red "C" on the chest instead of "Red Stockings" (the same style C from the cap). The legs are more anatomically correct. Oh, and the figure has a black drop shadow which was very apparent, but it may not be on the final version.

I have not seen the actual unis, but I have seen other stuff. From what little I've seen, they also have a new script on the road unis. IMO, it's a very classy retro style script that just looks like baseball. The homes will have the "C REDS" logo. It's very nice and only uses black for the drop shadow. Mr. Red will be on the sleeve of the homes and alts and the C REDS will be on the roadies.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

And oh yeah, I forgot the Reds to add to the miscues.

2006 will certainly go down as "The Year of Bad Logo and Uniform Design.

-Buffalo Sabres

-Anaheim Ducks

-Arizona Diamondbacks

-Milwaukee Bucks

-Minnesota Vikings

Not sure if budgets have been sliced or if the process (timelines) are bing condensed to the

breaking point but something is amiss and hoepfully 2007 will be a much better asthetic year.

-Buffalo Sabres

-Anaheim Ducks

-Arizona Diamondbacks

-Milwaukee Bucks

-Minnesota Vikings

Not sure if budgets have been sliced or if the process (timelines) are bing condensed to the

breaking point but something is amiss and hoepfully 2007 will be a much better asthetic year.

I'll agree with all of those teams except the Bucks, although I haven't seen enough of the DBacks to judge either way.

-Buffalo Sabres

-Anaheim Ducks

-Arizona Diamondbacks

-Milwaukee Bucks

-Minnesota Vikings

How's business Tom?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived