Niners Wearing Throwbacks

Shroinke

The upgrade to true gold on the current uniforms is more than balanced out by the fact that the new ones are magenta, not red. The old ones are superior in every other way.

I refuse to take the opinion of someone who doesn't know the difference between cardinal and magenta seriously.

What was the point from switching away from these unis anyway. These are some of the timeless classic unis that will look modern and classy forever.

New development on this. Today's San Francisco Chronicle says Mike Nolan actually commented on it during his press conference yesterday:

"Nolan said he would like to bring back permanently the throwback uniforms the 49ers wore Sunday. Such a switch takes a year to implement and wouldn't be instituted until 2008. Nolan said that he and the players like the throwbacks, but the decision resides with owner John York."

I wish I knew exactly what he said, but that's all I found.

The throwbacks look nice, better than many other uniforms in the league, but the Niners have one of the best modernized looks in the NFL. The new gold looks great, and the black really goes well with the other colours.

The throwbacks look nice, better than many other uniforms in the league, but the Niners have one of the best modernized looks in the NFL. The new gold looks great, and the black really goes well with the other colours.

The history of those 49er throwbacks goes back to 1964... If you have the 1964 Cowboys team picture along with the niners team picture. One realizes that they actually use the same template with the

obvious difference being the colors. The original version of the current home whites for the Cowboys

had three lines on the sleeves rather than two and the number on the shoulders rather than the sleeves and of course the different logo and colors and slightly different number fontas well.

It doesn't matter what color they wear - I actually do prefer the throwback look - after all - the Giants

Colts, Browns, Chiefs and Raiders are all wearing older uniform sets... Why cant the 9ers

I thought they should have brought back the Steve Young Super Bowl year throwbacks for good. Those were awesome! I love the subtle use of the black around the numbers. But I also agree, the change in gold is better now than it was before.

The upgrade to true gold on the current uniforms is more than balanced out by the fact that the new ones are magenta, not red. The old ones are superior in every other way.

I refuse to take the opinion of someone who doesn't know the difference between cardinal and magenta seriously.

Maybe magenta isn't the technical description for it - PANTONE? - but it's certainly not the true 49er red that they have used since the 1940s. Right now I'm staring at a 1994 (pre-update) Jerry Rice jersey and a 1996 (current look) Steve Young jersey, and when they made the color darker, they definitely introduced a slight purplish hue to it. What would you call it? (Although the official name for it is probably something like "San Francisco red" or something nondescript like that).

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Maybe magenta isn't the technical description for it - PANTONE? - but it's certainly not the true 49er red that they have used since the 1940s. Right now I'm staring at a 1994 (pre-update) Jerry Rice jersey and a 1996 (current look) Steve Young jersey, and when they made the color darker, they definitely introduced a slight purplish hue to it. What would you call it? (Although the official name for it is probably something like "San Francisco red" or something nondescript like that).

Officially, it's scarlet. I'd say it's closer to burgundy, or maybe garnet. Either way, semantics aside, from a completely unbiased standpoint, I love the current 49ers uniforms...top 5 in the league.

The throwbacks bring back good memories, but it's a dated look. The tan-gold pants and one-color numbers just wouldn't work for the 49ers anymore. The Raiders? They're silver and black. The Niners are scarlet, gold and black...and their entire uniform needs to reflect that.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived