Beckham Interest Confirmed By Galaxy

fonz

well canada never won anything with Wayne Gretzky playing for them. does that mean he is overated?

CanCup87-Celebration.jpg

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw him in the World Cup and it occurred to me this guy is the most overrated player in the history of soccer and I dont know much about soccer. If he was truly great England would have won something.

Tank, I think you misinterpret the hype surrounding David Beckham. Players in the U.S. that have received such global attention -- Michael Jordan, for example -- were hyped largely because they were giants of the game, on and off the field.

While Beckham is certainly a top-shelf player who's had a quality career, I don't think there's anybody in the soccer community who would list him among the all-time greats. But the hype that surrounds him has almost nothing to do with his talent on the field. His fame is due mostly to his status as a pop culture icon.

Think of him as a icon who also happens to play soccer.

But Tank's impression of Beckham -- that his hype implies he's some sort of superstar athlete -- is likely shared by the majority of U.S. sports fans, a large share of whom are soccer-illiterate. Beckham could receive a rude awakening should he make the trek across the pond.

right on, this is very true, the north american perception of soccer is very flawed, people saw beckham and owen in korea/japan 02, and expect both of them to carry on their form in to germany '06, it doesnt work like that.

well canada never won anything with Wayne Gretzky playing for them. does that mean he is overated?

CanCup87-Celebration.jpg

And this times 4

73_2.JPG

but that's not while playing for Team Canada but rather a team from Cananda

Well, to continue the vibe of Gretzky, Beckham is very much in the mold of Gretzky in the fact that he is a very intuitive passer rather than a breakneck speedster. It would translate extremely well to the slower-paced MLS, especially with the owners approving the Beckham rule. Ronaldo to the soon-to-be MLS Cup Champions Houston Dynamo? Robertson Stadium would be the hottest ticket in South Texas.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

it could possibly be another ny cosmos/pele thing.

This is mainly what I want. I have never really followed the MLS or soccer except in the World Cup. I really want to get in the MLS next year and I hope they could sign some big name players like Beckham or Ronaldo. I feel if they do it would be easier to get into because I would know some MLS players besides the US national team players.

I really hope this happens and next year I plan to go to some Red Bulls games.

so long as the big markets don't get too much of an unfair advantage, and the amount of foreign (or just EU?) players is capped, then the MLS shouldn't implode like the NASL did. The MLS is developing really nicely right now - don't forget it's only 11 seasons in! - and the worst thing to have happen is too great an influx of foreign players to put an end to the development of American players.

harperdc.gif

Well, to continue the vibe of Gretzky, Beckham is very much in the mold of Gretzky in the fact that he is a very intuitive passer rather than a breakneck speedster.

thats the biggest load of crap i heard, ya beckham is a good crosser, but wayne 1000x a better passer at hockey than beckham is at soccer, i mean not trying to bash or anything but, just cause beckhams excels at passing doesnt make him into the european gretzky.

also beckham, hasnt won anything, however he did win the treble in '99. and in the champs league finals again bayern, he was responsible for the corner kick which solskjaer converted.

He's been overrated as a player his entire career, but he's still a level above anyone in the MLS and he'd attract more media attention than any other player in the world if that's what MLS wants.

All of that said, I'd not complain if he decided to return to the EPL with Liverpool as he fits the biggest hole in our squad at the moment.

liverpool-1.png

He's been overrated as a player his entire career, but he's still a level above anyone in the MLS and he'd attract more media attention than any other player in the world if that's what MLS wants.

All of that said, I'd not complain if he decided to return to the EPL with Liverpool as he fits the biggest hole in our squad at the moment.

He has, but the MLS needs one big name..and its the name more than the skills. As far as household names of soccer players in America, there isn't another one other than Beckham. No matter what he did on the field, it would only help the league.

also beckham, hasnt won anything, however he did win the treble in '99. and in the champs league finals again bayern, he was responsible for the corner kick which solskjaer converted.

Winning the Champions League (especially the treble of all things) isn't winning anything? Winning multiple Premier League titles isn't winning anything? I don't think Beckham is god, but give him some credit...

I think his arrival will be good for the league, but probably not as big as many are expecting.

if you dont consider club championships as winning, especially europes biggest prize in the champs league, then what do u consider winning??? the world cup?? what you are saying is basically saying, the stanley cup isnt considered winning, and only olympic gold is considered winning.

thats the biggest load of crap i heard, ya beckham is a good crosser, but wayne 1000x a better passer at hockey than beckham is at soccer, i mean not trying to bash or anything but, just cause beckhams excels at passing doesnt make him into the european gretzky.

I said in the mold, snugglebritches. I wasn't saying he was the Wayne Gretzky- European Style! or anything like that. I guess I should have gone with my first instinct and stated how he was in the mold of Carlo Colaiacovo...

if you dont consider club championships as winning, especially europes biggest prize in the champs league, then what do u consider winning??? the world cup?? what you are saying is basically saying, the stanley cup isnt considered winning, and only olympic gold is considered winning.

I think we might be arguing the same point... I thought you meant he hadn't won anything, and that the treble wasn't a big deal (it certainly is)...

Anyone who says Beckham hasn't won anything in his career is crazy or uninformed, or both...

It would be good for the MLS. but i thing it would be like the New York Cosmos when they got Pete and everyone just had to go to the games. Yea it would be great but for the MLS but also bad.

I aint a huge soccer fan, but I aint never heard of this Pete guy :D now Pele, I've heard of. :P

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived