The A's may know the way to San Jose

marlinfan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will change the name to San Jose.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but I'd say that a switch to San Jose Athletics is a longshot, at best. I'd be willing to bet that they remain the Oakland Athletics.

As stated in the article it will help to get the San Jose corporations to buy the luxery boxes in the new stadium.
The San Jose corporations are going to buy luxury boxes anyway, because the franchise will now be playing a mere 4 miles from the San Jose border, as opposed to all the way up in Oakland. It's not as if businesses in San Jose weren't buying Oakland Athletics luxury box packages because of the team's name.
Also let's remember that San Jose is now the biggest city in the Bay Area.
Well, there's no question about that. Still, while the Athletics' move to Fremont is a clever way for team management to skirt the issue of technically moving the franchise to San Jose (i.e., San Francisco Giants' protected territory) and there's apparently no MLB rule against the A's using San Jose as a place-name after the move to Fremont, I believe that Bud Selig and the suits at MLB are going to be sensitive to the appearance of "rubbing the Giants' nose in it". Why agitate a solid ownership group in San Francisco by rubber-stamping a place-name for the Athletics that gives the impression that the team was allowed to move into Giants' territory with impunity?
Outside of past championships there is no reason to keep the name Oakland and if championships are the reason the team would still be known as the Philadelphia Athletics.
No, not really. After all, Fremont, California is in much closer proximity to Oakland than Oakland, California was to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Further, there's the fact that the franchise made a pit-stop in Kansas City, Missouri along the way. Comparing the Oakland to Fremont move with the Philadelphia to Kansas City to Oakland move is like comparing apples to washing machines. They have absolutely nothing in common.

I think they'll still be called the Oakland A's. The New York Giants and Jets play in New Jersey but are still called the "NEW YORK". Same thing will be done with the A's when they move to Fremont, they still be call "OAKLAND".

I think they will change their name. If the owner thinks he can make more money by changing the name to San Jose he will. There obviously is something to a city name if the Angels would not have risked leagal trouble to change their name to Los Angeles. The article originally posted indicates the team thinks it would be able to make more money by changing it's name to San Jose once the new ballpark opens. As for as tradition goes considering the team has moved twice I think there is more of a tradition in the name Athletics than there is Oakland. Sort of like the Dodgers where much of it's tradition comes from Brooklyn.

In the Jets and Giants case they play just a few miles out of New York and New York is the largest city in the area. In this case this new ballpark will be closer to San Jose than Oakland and San Jose is the larger city.

As far as the Philly comment that was joke intended to point out that these are buisnesses. If championships were entered in the equations the A's would have never moved to KC to begin with, afterall still to this day the A's a Philadelphia's most succesful pro sports team in terms or championships (5 in Philly).

I think the team will change to San Jose. Maybe if there was already a team called San Jose in the area would they keep Oakland but since they could market themselves as the team for the biggest city in the area they will change to SJ.

No, not really. After all, Fremont, California is in much closer proximity to Oakland than Oakland, California was to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Further, there's the fact that the franchise made a pit-stop in Kansas City, Missouri along the way. Comparing the Oakland to Fremont move with the Philadelphia to Kansas City to Oakland move is like comparing apples to washing machines. They have absolutely nothing in common.

That was hilarious, thank you :)

Anyways, I do think they will change their name, only because it seems like the owner wants to... is there more money being known as San Jose? who knows... but I do know that if it happens they will be the first "San" team in the American League, and the third in the majors, hooray for incredibly pointless stats that thrill me :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I've never been to California, but from what I've heard, Oakland isn't exactly a nice location. Wouldn't a move to Fremont/San Jose benefit in some ways?

Note: this isn't me arguing a point, so pro-Oaklanders, don't get all upset, I'm asking a legitimate question here. Personally, I'd rather them keep the name, regardless of where they play...just as long as they fall to the Angels :D

I've never been to California, but from what I've heard, Oakland isn't exactly a nice location. Wouldn't a move to Fremont/San Jose benefit in some ways?

Note: this isn't me arguing a point, so pro-Oaklanders, don't get all upset, I'm asking a legitimate question here. Personally, I'd rather them keep the name, regardless of where they play...just as long as they fall to the Angels :D

Oakland's a hole. Especially East Oakland on the other side of the BART tracks from the Coliseum. Not that I didlike Fremont, but it's a lot faster for me to get from where I live to Oakland then it is to get to the south end of Fremont. Also the transit access to the site will be terrible. However if it keeps them in Northern California I hope it works.

My vote is they will be officially known as the San Jose A's but be called "The Athletics."

Alameda County treats all of their teams like crap. The Raiders got into a huge suit with Alameda County a few years ago (All 75 boxes of it.)

Oh, and guys, since we're talking California baseball moves, don't do it. Just don't. You know what I mean. Do. Not. Do. It.

Do what? Make some crack about naming them the San Jose A's of Oakland, or something like that? I would never do that.

:P

Now look what you've started.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Hey, what about losing once and for all the city name in the naming of the A's?

No more Oakland A's! No more San José A's!

Let's call the as A's... or Athletics. The A's is a widely known trademark like the Dodgers and Yankees. No need to apply there any city name.

The A's would be the first sport team to lose its city name.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Let's call the as A's... or Athletics. The A's is a widely known trademark like the Dodgers and Yankees. No need to apply there any city name.

That's a really stupid idea. There's a "need to apply there any city name" because it's a slap in the face to downplay your location.

That's a really stupid idea. There's a "need to apply there any city name" because it's a slap in the face to downplay your location.

Well... you see about those rappers without any last name, all pure nickname... ;)

Hey, boy, there are the A's! A's! A's! A's! A's! :lol:

About slapping the city face... how about the Fremont people having those Oakland A's and the Oakland people seeing "their" A's playing there far in Fremont?

Besides, all we know the naming circus of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived