Instant Replay rules

paynomind

In The Pats-Colts game, there was a play where Dillon fumbled, the colts recovered, then ran the ball to the end zone, where touchdown was signaled.

The Pats challeneged the call.

When the ref announced it, he said, "The Patriots are challenging the ruling ont he field, of a fumble."

It was found to be a fumble, but the Colt was down by contact at the point of recovery, rather than scoring.

The ball was given to the Colts at the 40, and the Pats were NOT charged with a timeout.

Now, I agree that the refs made the play correct, but my question is with the rules of replay.

I thought the challenging team had to specify what exactly they wanted reviewed, and if what they asked for was calle dincorrectly, the subsequent rulings would be fixed. Since the Pats challenged the ruling of a fumble, and it was found to have BEEN a fumble, shouldnt they have lost thier timeout? And where was the challenege of the TD? they didnt challenge that.

Anyone have any knowledge on the subject?

In The Pats-Colts game, there was a play where Dillon fumbled, the colts recovered, then ran the ball to the end zone, where touchdown was signaled.

The Pats challeneged the call.

When the ref announced it, he said, "The Patriots are challenging the ruling ont he field, of a fumble."

It was found to be a fumble, but the Colt was down by contact at the point of recovery, rather than scoring.

The ball was given to the Colts at the 40, and the Pats were NOT charged with a timeout.

Now, I agree that the refs made the play correct, but my question is with the rules of replay.

I thought the challenging team had to specify what exactly they wanted reviewed, and if what they asked for was calle dincorrectly, the subsequent rulings would be fixed. Since the Pats challenged the ruling of a fumble, and it was found to have BEEN a fumble, shouldnt they have lost thier timeout? And where was the challenege of the TD? they didnt challenge that.

Anyone have any knowledge on the subject?

I think if something is overturned on replay the challenging team doesn't lose their timeout. Because the TD was overturned the Patriots didn't lose a timeout. Had they not challenged they would have gotten the call wrong. Because the challenge and correction of the TD benifetted the Patriots they didn't lose the timeout. IMO this is they way it should work in a case like this and the call of them not losing a Timeout was correct because the replay was neccessary.

I do know that the replay rule says that the ref can look at any aspect of the play and overturn the call on the field (as long as it is reviewable) and it doesn't have to be the challenge.

Overall the correct and fair thing happened. New England shouldn't have lost a timeout.

No you don't have to specify because the call was changed they did not lose a timeout and properly so.

I think you're wrong, Tank. Earlier this season, the Packers challenged the spot on the field, saying it was incorrect (and resulted in a first down). The official ruling was that the spot was incorrect, so the ball was moved. However, the spot was still sufficient for a first down, and the Packers were thus charged a timeout (even though what they challenged -- the spot on the field -- got changed).

In the case of the Sunday Night Game, I thought they were supposed to lose a timeout, because I thought they challenged the ruling of a fumble. I agree with what paynomind said.

Let's let Jerry Markbreit weigh in on this (from the Chicago Tribune). He's addressed this issue in his recent weekly articles:

In your Oct. 25 column, David from Belvidere asked about challenging the spot for a first down. You said that the challenge is lost even if the spot was incorrect but there was still no first down. What if the coach challenged the spot of the ball and not whether a first down was gained? Also, will the referee help the coach out in making sure he is challenging the correct thing? --Ray, Lake Forest, Ill.

The coach cannot challenge forward progress unless a possible first down is involved. If the red flag is thrown, the referee will go over to the coach, and find out what he is challenging. The referee will then explain to the coach that the situation that you describe cannot be challenged. The coach is relieved of any responsibility and a timeout is not charged to that team for throwing the red flag. However, there are situations where a team might be penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct if the red flag was thrown for no other reason than to stop the clock.

From Oct. 25 column:

Let's say a coach makes a replay challenge about whether a player made a first down. On review, the replay shows that the ball was spotted incorrectly but the new spot doesn't gain a first down. Is this considered a successful or unsuccessful challenge for purpose of time outs and further challenge availability? If the new spot actually turns out to be worse for the challenging team than the original call, can it nevertheless be considered a successful challenge because it resulted in correcting an erroneous call? --David Englund, Belvidere, Ill.

This is not a successful challenge and the challenging team is charged with a team timeout, even though the forward progress spot was incorrect. In this case the ball would be moved to the correct spot, but because the first down was not gained by the offensive team, they are still charged with an incorrect challenge.

I agree they got the call right, but I really thought you had to SPECIFY what you were challenging.

I have looked through the 'rules' as i've seen them posted and either cant find or cant decipher the section about it.

I realize it probably doesnt matter in the scope fo the world, but thought it would be interesting to find out what the real, actual rule is.

I don't know the rules, but personally I think the instant replay is silly. The situation that happened in that game shows why it takes away from the game. I think that since instant replay is meant to correct officials' mistakes teams shouldn't be penalized for pointing that out. I propose two options:

1. Each team gets 2 challenges. Regardless of what happens they're used. No timeout penalty.

2. Each team can challenge if they have a timeout. If you get it wrong then you lose a timeout. If you get it right, then the call is corrected and play resumes.

I realize that this doesn't answer the question at hand, but I think this situation highlights that the instant replay system needs to be modified or scrapped.

Archived