Orioles jersey question

RickV

Was perusing Ebay auctions and came across this oddity:

80_1.JPG

It's a Bowman 1955 baseball card. Did the AL Orioles ever wear such a jersey? I know the minor league Baltimore Orioles did, but have never seen a ML Orioles team jersey such as this one, not even in Okkonen's book.

metslogo_215.gif

Not to my knowledge. If I recall correctly (without checking Dressed to the Nines), the 1954 and 1955 Orioles were jerseys with black script and no birds-on-the-bat.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

When the Orioles were a minor league team, they did have some jerseys with the birds on a bat, but when the St. Louis Browns were transferred to Baltimore in 1954, the jerseys had just the script "Orioles" in black outlined in orange on the front.

You're right. As far as I know, the AL Orioles never wore birds on their chest.

Who was the top farm club of the Browns before they moved? Was it Baltimore? Dick Kryhoski came up to the Yanks in '49. Maybe he played for the minor league Orioles at one point?

This seems kind of elaborate to have been a Spring Training- only jersey, like the 1969 Pilots wore.

Baseball cards of the 1950s are notorious for "photoshopping" uniforms or cap logos. For instance, check out the Dodgers and Giants cards of 1958/59.

So it's also possible that the card company lifted the logo from the minor league jersey and pasted/painted it onto the photo used for the card.

Two scenarios- First, the logo was applied over an airbrushed jersey (which it looks like). Or, if it is a real jersey, it could be the International League Orioles final set from 1953. This could have happened. I know that during their first year the Buffalo Sabres used the AHL Bisons "bottle cap" jerseys for practice. And why not, the Sabres first trainer/equipment manager was Frank Christie who had worked for the Bisons since the 1940s. He had access to all the Bisons equipment and used it when needed.

Archived