2006-07 MLB Off-Season Transaction thread

randyc

That contract is insane for Matthews. This years market is really inflated. I don't know if its because its not that great or if this is what baseball contracts will start to become.

In other news, The O's apparently have made a 6 year 90 million offer to Carlos Lee. Another sign of an inflated market. I remember worry about giving Vlad a similar contract, however now I think this is a pretty good contract for Lee. If contracts are this high next offseason I hope that MLB seriously considers putting in a salary cap.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt that a salary cap will happen. I believe that was a primary reason for the '94 strike. Besides, a cap won't be in place until the 2012 season (I think that's when the collective barganing agreement expires). I understand the awe about these mega contracts, but I don't mind lack of a salary cap. Don't take a reason to hate the Yankees away! :P

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

2 very mediocre, very overpaid players are roaming in LA centerfields.

Juan Pierre- 9 million per year for a good glove, good speed, lots of hits, way too low OPS, and a girl arm. But at least you know what you are going to get, the kid's consistant....still not worth 9 million a year.

Gary Matthews Jr.- A few Web Gems and 19 HRs gets you 10 million a year???? I mean good god, he had the exact same number of HRs and RBI's as JUAN ENCARNACION! That was a career year. His average season is .264/14/58. Wow.

Rediculous. Jim Edmonds at 8 million is a freakin' bargin compared to these 2. That's not even talking Soriano, who signed the 5th highest contract EVER for an at best, top 25-in-the-league talent. Depending on what he plays, he's probably not even a top 5 player at his position.

If Pujols, Vlad, A-Rod, or Big Papi were available this year, they'd get 11yrs/350mil easy, maybe more.

That contract is insane for Matthews. This years market is really inflated. I don't know if its because its not that great or if this is what baseball contracts will start to become.

In other news, The O's apparently have made a 6 year 90 million offer to Carlos Lee. Another sign of an inflated market. I remember worry about giving Vlad a similar contract, however now I think this is a pretty good contract for Lee. If contracts are this high next offseason I hope that MLB seriously considers putting in a salary cap.

I so hope the O's get Lee. Mabye no more romurs about Tejada wanting to be traded. And would create a good lineup. Just only if they had some relief pitching other than Ray

1.Roberts(2B)

2.Markakis(RF)

3.Mora(3B)

4.Lee(LF)

5.Tejada(SS)

6.Hernandez(Catcher)

7.Gibbons (DH)

8.1B?????

9.Patterson(CF?)

And about the Salary cap. That would not happen the Yankees, Mets and Red Sox control baseball and the MLB would not ruin their chances for success. Would anybody want a D-Rays, Pirates World Series except for fans of those teams. But a Yankees, Mets series would draw gigantic ratings.

saBS.png

I so hope the O's get Lee. Mabye no more romurs about Tejada wanting to be traded. And would create a good lineup. Just only if they had some relief pitching other than Ray

1.Roberts(2B)

2.Markakis(RF)

3.Mora(3B)

4.Lee(LF)

5.Tejada(SS)

6.Hernandez(Catcher)

7.Gibbons (DH)

8.1B?????

9.Patterson(CF?)

And about the Salary cap. That would not happen the Yankees, Mets and Red Sox control baseball and the MLB would not ruin their chances for success. Would anybody want a D-Rays, Pirates World Series except for fans of those teams. But a Yankees, Mets series would draw gigantic ratings.

are you kidding i would love a dray and pirates world series well actually i would like anything but a yankees and mets world series. the only people who would watch that would be new yorkers. I think im with everyone when i say im tired of the yankees and i would love a salary cap so teams like the rays and pirates can win. These salarys are getting redicolous and something needs to happen but unfortuanlly it wont with owners like stenbriener.

1.Roberts(2B)

2.Markakis(RF)

3.Mora(3B)

4.Lee(LF)

5.Tejada(SS)

6.Hernandez(Catcher)

7.Gibbons (DH)

8.1B?????

9.Patterson(CF?)

Note: The 2000 Subway Series was amongst one of the worst rated Series of all-time. Two different large markets in the World Series >>>> one large market in the World Series.

Note 2: The DRays and Pirates are where they are because of terrible scouting, terrible GMing (not a word) and cheap ownership. The A's, Twins, Indians (at one time) and next year the Brewers have/will field very good teams with low payrolls.

Note 3: The Yankees, Mets and Red Sox aren't stopping baseball from using a salary cap. The strongest union in the world (MLBPA) is.

1997 | 2003

Well I guess they couldn't trade for Vernon Wells after all.

Apparently J.P. turned down Ervin Santana and Erick Aybar from the Halos.

http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/projo_...ox.31d47f3.html

I may have been happy with that deal... couple of young guys... Santana 16-8 last season, a solid #2 guy (AJ getting bumped to #3), and Aybar a fast shortstop.... two things we need

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Wow, someone went shopping and got a good deal on Black Friday.....

According to ESPN and Jayson Stark, Lee is to sigen with the Astros for 6 years $100 mil, which isnt great for the Astros, but still looks like one of the better deals compared to some we've already seen this offseason....

Lee and Berkman batting in the middle of the order.....if they resign Clemens and Petitte, this might be good enough to win the NL crown, considering how weak the NL is.

Discuss.

NYCdog.png

Not near as bad as the Matthews deal, but still bad deals (money wise) for houston. But when you paid Bagwell 18 mil to take up bench space, 16 mil to a guy that'll hit 40+ HRs in that bandbox is a bargin.

Woody Williams (who I like alot) isn't a terrible deal, but still way too much money. Dude's 40. He'll be 42 making 6.5 million a year when the deal is done and he isn't half a Roger Clemens. Pretty big risk for a guy who hasn't had a really good season since 2004.

Jays are close to a deal with Rod Barajas on a 2 year 5.5-6 million contract.

Not bad... a shame we're losing Zaun, seemed like a great guy to have around the clubhouse... but he wanted more than 2 years, and with Curtis Thigpen expected to break through on the big league roster for 2008 the Jays wouldn't need a starting catcher past then.

Barajas seems like the type of player that'll make me go insane at times during the season, but hard to ignore the power... we're gonna be stuck with an all right-handed batting order by the start of next season.

---

Chris Creamer

So Molina is gone in T-town? Or would Barajas be just the backup? I can't possibly follow all the players but it appears he split time in Texas last year, and produced some decent numbers...

Man it'd be nice to reunite the Super Molina Bros in St. louis instead of resigning Gary Bennett or another back up I've never heard of....

But it won't happen. They'll sign some no-name again like they always do who LaRussa will use in the traditional 3rd game of a 3 game series where the Cardinals have no hope of winning because he sits everyone but Pujols. That Uber-Cheap, Quasi-Genius that it Walt Jocketty won't ever sign a decent backup catcher. God help us if Yadi goes down for more than a month...

Brewers and D-backs complete a trade sending Johnny Estrada, Greg Aquino, and Claudio Vargas to Milwaukee for Doug Davis, Dana Eveland, and Dave Krynzel.

This seems like one of those deals like the scotty po for c-lee deal the brewers spun a few years ago - good for both sides.

The Brewers get some decent plate performance on the back half of the lineup that already features some decent (although high-strikeout) hitters in Prince Fielder and Geoff Jenkins. They add a nice young catcher with good defensive skills and above average bat.

The D-Backs (how I'm sure they'll forever be called from now on) will get a eeirily similar pitcher to Jeff Suppan, a 200+ innings guy who will always keep you in the ball game. His ERA might get up there, but you'll feel so confident in him D-Backs fans. He'll keep you within 1 or 2 runs all the time. Alot of Quality starts, but not very many amazing ones. Perfect number 3 starter.

This is just one of those trades that both teams benifit (minus the prospects...I know nothing of either team's prospects unless the dude's name starts with a Q, plays outfield, and is in the Arizona system...and whom I want in the Cardinals system very badly :D)

So Molina is gone in T-town? Or would Barajas be just the backup?

Yes, Bengie is done here... we only signed him to a 1-year deal.

Barajas will the be starting catcher (if signed... not official yet), and I'm assuming Jason Phillips would be backup.

---

Chris Creamer

I heard that the Pirates {who need left handed power} were taking with Larry Walker, Dave Justice , Fred McGriff, Andy Van Slyke, Eddie Murry on coming to play in Pittsburgh. Top brass in Pittsburgh is very excited about signing all of these players to multi year multi gazillion dollar contracts. Top brass in Pittsburgh are surprised that no other teams are showing any interest in these guys. GM says "some of these guys are in the HOF or should be,what are these other teams thinking".Also thinking of making every home game a firework and bobble head night.The fans come first in Pittsburgh.

Archived