And now over to London Heathrow...land of British Airways

tBBP

Oh...why the hell not?

I was going to wait until Monday to put this one up, but since I finally finished this--today, no less--I figured I'd go ahead and put it up now. But don't forget to check out my KLM Royal Dutch Airlines concept, too, which is at the bottom of this list:

American Airlines

United Airlines

Northwest Airlines

US Airways

Delta Air Lines

Southwest Airlines

Midwest Airlines

Continental Airlines

AirTran Airways

America West Airlines

Song

Air Canada

JetBlue Airways

Independence Air

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

And now to continue the AFLCS's international adventure!

British Airways--the flagship carrier of England, the UK's largest airline. Though this airline has only been around under its current structure since the mid-70's, its origins reach back almost as far as those of KLM-Royal Dutch. Its forerunner, Aircraft Transportation and Travel (or--get this--AT&T), launched the world's first daily scheduled service between London and Paris in 1919. There were three other fledgling carriers operating in the UK at the time, and in 1924, they all merged together to create Imperial Airways. Of course, there were several other smaller carriers operating in the UK, as well, and those carriers all merged to become the first British Airways, in 1935. We'll fast-forward from there to 1976, the year British Airways--in conjunction with Air France--launched service between London and Paris with the then-world renowned Concorde supersonic jet. (Yeah--1976. By the 1980's, British Airways had become onw of the world's most profitable carriers, and also carried a new mantra: "The World's Favourite Airline", a slogwn thought up by Sir john King, who at that time was the Chairman of the airline. Today British Airways still remains rather successful, though it, like just about every other major airline in the world, has seen and is seeing its fair share or struggles.

So there's you quick history that...and now on to the concept.

Let me first say that while these unis may be some of the most simplistic that I've done, it's the HELMETS that will instantly garner attention, as they are some of the most unique that I've done. Take a look at this photo to see what I had to work with. This is British Airways' current livery, introduced in 1996 (which explains the number used on the primaries). Pay special attention to that tail, because I actually somehow managed to replicate that on the domes. (It's a stylized representation of the UK flag.) As for the jerseys, they're relatively simple. The home jersey is blue with white numbers sans trim, done in the closest match I could find to the font British Airways uses (which, by the way, is a custom font made exclusively for them). I did include a little decorative flair on the sleeves. just above the ribbing is that little "ribbon" logo BA uses, and above it, the TV numbers. The collar is red, just so the jersey wouldn't be too plain--and to sort of add a little visual interest. The pants, however, are straight white--no stripes or marks or anything, the first time Ive done that. But I figured with this concept, that would look best. The socks are solid red--again, to add a bit of visual interest (and yes, it does invoke some Buffalo Bills flair, as well--well, the pre-2002 Bills, or whatever year they went to the uni set they have now.) The road set is opposite of the home set, except the socks are still red. And now on the 3rd/alt...British Airways has only used two different liveries since its rebirth in 1974. You saw the first, and this one here is the one they used up until 1996. (It was modified somewhat in the late 80's-early '90's.) Again, that tail design was replicated on the helmet. It may look a little strange at first, but take some time to soak it in. The jerseys, like pretty much all my 3rd/alts, are white, with bark blue numbers done up in the old-style font British Airways used back then (or pretty close to it, anyway). The pants are solid dark blue, and the socks sorta mimic the helmet design.

Okay...so there's that. And now, here is the visual representation...

British Airways, folks!

C&C...lemme hear it, CCSLC community members!

AFLBritishAirways.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I haven't really commented much on it, but I love this whole AFL project you've got going on here, and look forward to seeing each one immensely. And I just had to comment on this one, didn't I?

I prefer the Alt to the Road, but that's because I liek the pre-96 livery better.

I love the wraparound logo on the helmets, but I wonder why you've left that white stripe there, rather than simply connecting the designs. If it's to evoke the UK flag then it needs a thinner red stripe in there. Also, one minor correction, BA is Britain's, not England's largest carrier.

The only other extraordinarily minor quibble is that teh red on the socks and the collar looks just a hair to bright. I'd tone it back a little.

by George, I think Kinger's been livin a double life :D

all kidding aside, I like the stripe on the main jerseys, bery bery interesting. the pants are a bit plain IMO, but that helmet's a tough act to follow.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I was waiting for this one. As it is my favorite airline. I think the primary would have made a great pant stripe. Keep up the Great work.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

i was looking for some flaws in this one...couldnt find one.....

these concepts are a good example of what you can do with an imagination, an inspiration, and time......

very good ........

(if i had to point something out, i think that the side logos under the # might be a little bit too low....but good job)

I just wanna do hoodrat things with my friends.

Another great concept. The third helmet reminds me of the old Montreal Alouettes logo.

108.gif

By the way, if any of y'all ever fly BA, make sure to ask them (once you're on the plane) if you can get moved up to business class. That's worked for me on my last 2 BA flights and 3 of my 4 lifetime BA flights... all the legroom and shrimp scampi you can eat for the price of coach.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

As usual, your work is terrific and inspired. The helmets are awesome and the uni's overall, especially the home set, are spot on for BA.

But one question screams for an answer here...where is the Speedbird??

IMHO, the old blue and gold BOAC livery would have made for a more interesting throwback and even though they use a modern, stylized version, the old Speedbird logo (on the tail below for those not familiar) is a must somewhere in this set. The Speedbird IS BOAC/British Airways, in fact Speedbird is even their radio call sign. Just a thought. :D

boac-cargo-b707-320f.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

As usual, your work is terrific and inspired. The helmets are awesome and the uni's overall, especially the home set, are spot on for BA.

But one question screams for an answer here...where is the Speedbird??

IMHO, the old blue and gold BOAC livery would have made for a more interesting throwback and even though they use a modern, stylized version, the old Speedbird logo (on the tail below for those not familiar) is a must somewhere in this set. The Speedbird IS BOAC/British Airways, in fact Speedbird is even their radio call sign. Just a thought. :D

boac-cargo-b707-320f.jpg

Now that I didn't know. So how in the world did YOU know, Mr. Airline Buff???

Nah-I'm playin. I know you know way more than I do about this type stuff. I've just always had an interest in aviation, and once I got into the industry. I guess you could say the writing was on the wall. That and my undeniable passion for football all kinda spilled over into my graphic design education, and that, coupled with a creative spark and a CXCLD due to WX one day at work during which I pulled out a pencil and started scribbling, birthed the first concept for what became this series.

Any other lil' interesting tidbits like this--send them over my way, if you could. It'd greatly help me in my research!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived