Lehigh Valley AAA team name

JaMike81

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not the best name, it does give reference to the steel industry that is important to the area. A key part of any good nickname in my opinion. As a bonus it turns out those rumors that the name the team contest wasn't fixed for Phillies.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

"Pig iron is raw iron, the immediate product of smelting iron ore with coke and limestone in a blast furnace. Pig iron has a very high carbon content, typically 3.5%, which makes it very brittle and not useful directly as a material except for limited applications."

Such phrases as "very brittle", "not useful", and "limited applications" are all not exactly things I would personally want associated with a any baseball team I would try to put together.

It's their team so they can name it whatever they wish. But if they wanted to honor the local iron and steel industry I would think there are better names than this.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Such phrases as "very brittle", "not useful", and "limited applications" are all not exactly things I would personally want associated with a any baseball team I would try to put together.

Their mascot can be Mark Prior!

"Pig iron is raw iron, the immediate product of smelting iron ore with coke and limestone in a blast furnace. Pig iron has a very high carbon content, typically 3.5%, which makes it very brittle and not useful directly as a material except for limited applications."

It's their team so they can name it whatever they wish. But if they wanted to honor the local iron and steel industry I would think there are better names than this.

What do you expect from a Phillies affiliate? :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What do you expect from a Phillies affiliate? :P

Hey, whats wrong with Phillies affiliates with decent names.

Sincerely-

The Clearwater Threshers and Lakewood BlueClaws :D:D

I stand by this:

Seriously, the Iron Pigs? This sounds like a Disney movie about a youth football team at a fat camp in which a motley assortment of losers put their differences aside, and with the help of their coach with a heart of gold, are able to beat the rich kids at football camp with their hard-nosed determination and unorthodox gadget plays that would be illegal if it wasn't some dumb movie.

Well, previous comments by team management seemed to point towards their ultimately adopting the IronPigs identity. I'm not at all surprised that they ultimately did so. That said, I still feel that it is a miserable name.

I was hoping that the team would hire local graphic designer Joe Bosack to come up with a logo package for the team. He's one of a handful of designers capable of salvaging something from this mess. Plus, as a Pennsylvania-based designer, he'd have an even more vested interest in coming up with a great design.

However, team management has hired Plan B. Branding of San Diego to handle the design chores. Given their work on behalf of a number of minor-league franchises, including redesigns for the Clearwater Threshers and Lakeland Flying Tigers, they've proven themselves more than capable of creating a pleasing logo package.

Let's hope that they're capable of "making a silk - er, iron - purse from a sow's ear".

I stand by this:

Seriously, the Iron Pigs? This sounds like a Disney movie about a youth football team at a fat camp in which a motley assortment of losers put their differences aside, and with the help of their coach with a heart of gold, are able to beat the rich kids at football camp with their hard-nosed determination and unorthodox gadget plays that would be illegal if it wasn't some dumb movie.

I think I saw that movie. :P As one that doesn't think it's that bad of a nickname, I will reserve judgement to see what kind of identity package Plan B comes up with.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I was hoping that the team would hire local graphic designer Joe Bosack to come up with a logo package for the team. He's one of a handful of designers capable of salvaging something from this mess. Plus, as a Pennsylvania-based designer, he'd have an even more vested interest in coming up with a great design.

However, team management has hired Plan B. Branding of San Diego to handle the design chores.

Could have been worse.

wait for it . . .

They could have hired GamePlan "Creative".

They could have been the Lehigh Valley Peeps.

I for one would have bought any number of clothing articles with a baseball related Peep motif.

I guess Iron Pigs is fair enough, although one would think that, considering the state of The Steel, they would have tried to avoid it.

JerseyDatabase.com - I'm that guy...

• 4 months later...

Oh, that's unfortunate.

Is that an IronPig or a SteelHound?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived