Equipment Managers Unite!

Ben5

I had an excellent weekend as an equipment manager. Friday night we went to a killer FSU house party. Yesterday night we shut out the Seminoles AT HOME and I ran balls on the home sideline. And today we did this week's trade bag, and I made out like a bandit with a pair of shorts (XL), a pullover (XL) and a shirt (XXL), which is pretty good considering you normally get 1 thing that is way too big.

Anyways, I know we got a few other former and current equipment managers on here, student or otherwise. Any good stories? Favorite memories? Best trade bags?

Very good question.

Before each football game (with a few exceptions), we (usually me) meet with the other managers. We exchange shirts, shorts, hats, decals, etc. with the other team for the same. The stuff you usually trade is extra stuff, so it's usually either really small or really big.

You're a manager at Wake? Cool!

FSU always trades good stuff. We got some good stuff from there, too. But, I think my boss is going to give out all of the stuff that we have traded over the course of the year at the end of the season.

I sure hope you were able to take a tour of FSU's locker room. The coolest part is seeing the lockers that are covered in glass.

I don't know if you have been to South Carolina, but I am sure that you will enjoy it. Their managers treated us real nice.

My favorite trade item that I have gotten so far has been a visor from La.-Lafayette that has their chili pepper logo on it.

I'm an equipment manager with Ohio University (Jim Grobe's former school). Its the first year in about 40 years that we'll be going to a bowl game (most likely). So its pretty exciting. I've gotten some pretty nice stuff while trading so far. Missouri was probably the best. I got some nice stuff from there. And a nice pair of shorts and a visor from Rutgers.

Our best trip so far, probably, has been Rutgers. All the managers took a train into NYC Friday night and just walked around the city until about 6am on the morning of the game. We were feeling it during the game, but it was worth it. The best game was probably when we beat Illinois in Champaign.

This past weekend we played @ Eastern Michigan and we took a trip to Ann Arbor and took a tour of the Big House and went to their lockerroom and practice facility and on the field, that was pretty sweet.

Thursday night game this week for the MAC East Championship!

I'm also a Wake fan, Grobie is a great coach and a great guy.

You're a manager at Wake? Cool!

FSU always trades good stuff. We got some good stuff from there, too. But, I think my boss is going to give out all of the stuff that we have traded over the course of the year at the end of the season.

I sure hope you were able to take a tour of FSU's locker room. The coolest part is seeing the lockers that are covered in glass.

I don't know if you have been to South Carolina, but I am sure that you will enjoy it. Their managers treated us real nice.

My favorite trade item that I have gotten so far has been a visor from La.-Lafayette that has their chili pepper logo on it.

I knew you'd reply sacker. I actually did get to go into the locker room, but we didn't take a tour. Those glass cases were amazing. My boss asked if we just wanted to do the everything at the end of the season, but we decided it was unfair to the people who worked every game as opposed to the people who don't travel or have to miss games for other reasons.

WhoDey, I did not even know you were a manager. We try to set up as much stuff as possible the day before the game so if we have a late night, we don't have as much to do. Good luck on Thursday; I hope to see you guys in the MAC championship!

I think my all time favorite trade bag item was an Arizona jacket, via UNC my freshman year. How that thing made it all the way past the Heels and everyone in front of me was amazing. But this past week was the best bag overall, due to the sheer number of high quality available items. My theory on the stuff I get is that if we beat the team, then I will wear the stuff all the time all over campus. If we lose, I might just wear it around the dorm or back home.

Yeah, our tour was just a short 5-minute tour of the facilities, including the locker room and the equipment room. I also happened to be in there when some of the managers were putting the spears on the helmets. They said that they just try to find a good reference spot on the helmet to make sure that they keep it pretty consistent.

I also have some stuff that my boss just wanted to get rid of, like a Southern Miss sweatshirt and some K-State shirts. My freshman year, my most notable trade item was an LSU t-shirt. My sophomore year, it was a Mizzou sweatshirt. I didn't want it, so I just gave it to an associate pastor at my church, who is a Missouri native.

Archived