Jim Kelly Bills Jersey that I just won on eBay.

sacker12

I just won this Jim Kelly Bills home jersey by Champion on eBay. However, I'm still trying to find out if this is an authentic jersey (not game-worn, of course), or just an replica. It looked like an authentic for me because of the mitered V-neck and shiny screened-on numbers, compared to the modified V-neck and dull screened-on numbers that I remember seeing on the Champion replica jerseys on the mid-90's. But, I'm sure that most of you guys probably have a more discerning eye for detail than I do. Even if it is an authentic, it won't be a huge loss for me since since after shipping the total is about 32 bucks. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting

Actually, I have just realized that this is a replica. Oh well, I don't think that I had a huge loss in this one. Still, a good quality original Jim Kelly Bills jersey from the 80's or 90's is getting pretty hard to find, so I consider this a small victory.

Beutiful jersey there, even if it is a replica.

The great thing about that jersey is, if you add a name to the back, it is pretty much exactly like the Bills game jerseys from then. They were one of the few teams to wear the Champion font (used on all teams' replicas, including this one) for games. And as you mentioned, the Bills didn't sew the numbers on at that time. For $26, it is worth it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Beutiful jersey there, even if it is a replica.

The great thing about that jersey is, if you add a name to the back, it is pretty much exactly like the Bills game jerseys from then. They were one of the few teams to wear the Champion font (used on all teams' replicas, including this one) for games. And as you mentioned, the Bills didn't sew the numbers on at that time. For $26, it is worth it.

Actually, quite a few teams used the Champion font for games. Just off the top of my head, the Bengals, Jets, Saints, Bills, Colts, Falcons, and I'm sure others did too.

The other thing to look for in a replica from that era may be the "proline" tag. I'm not sure if that started at the same time as the neck-shield (1991 I think?) but it may have been on the authentics from the late 80s too. I'm sure someone else could probably confirm or refute this.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I remember seeing on some 80's replica jersey a red jock tag that had the NFL shield and then the words "Officially Licensed Product". But, all I saw on this jersey is just the Champion jock tag.

Also, I think the difference between this jersey and today's replicas is that this one has one-ply mesh shoulders, compared to the two-ply shoulder in today's replicas. But, the 80's replicas, I think, were made from the same fabric that the game jerseys were made from instead of the cheap fabric that today's replicas are made of.

Archived