And the Sporting Capital of the World is.........

Alphabet Man

Melbourne named world's top sports city

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Melbou...3266394214.html

November 12, 2006 - 7:24AM

Melbourne has been named the world's top city for sports events in a new study, beating Paris and Sydney, which tied for second.

The study, by London consulting and research firm ArkSports, compared 20 top sporting cities that were selected based on their history of hosting events, News Limited newspapers say.

It measured factors such as events list from 2002 to 2010, attendances and media coverage, the city's quality of life, facilities, transport and accommodation, government support, weather and tourism.

Fifty executives from the events industry, including major sponsors, were also polled.

As well as being overall winner, with 341.5 points - 29 points ahead of Paris and Sydney - Melbourne was tops for level of public interest in events, facilities, number of major events won and level of government support.

It came second in most other categories, including quality of life (behind Vancouver), accommodation (behind New York) and weather/tourism and legacy (behind Sydney).

It polled badly only for transport.

Berlin came fourth overall, and London fifth.

The coveted title is predicted to help boost tourism, bids for events, including soccer's World Cup and international opportunities for Melbourne's events planners and organisers.

The study said Melbourne had an "unparalleled track record reputation" for its sporting events, while industry heads praised its "versatility, stadia, city atmosphere and local passion for all sports".

--------------------------------------------------

Top 10:

1...Melbourne

2...Paris

3...Sydney

4...Berlin

5...London

6...Madrid

7...New York

8...Beijing

9...Tokyo

10..Cape Town

---------------------------------------------------

Not suprised at all by the top place, Sydney is a bit high i thought on that list. Dare I say it, we'd probably also top the beer-consuming list. The last 3 are suprises. Beijing, Tokyo and Cape Town....but hey i guess they are undervalued sports cities.

Dame Edna was right.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Congrats Matty, you got some bragging rights there.

Melbourne is a top sporting city and the fact that its held the Commonwealth Games, Pan Pacs, and the regular Melbourne Cup, Australian Open and AFL fixtures has sent it right to the top.

Contrary to your thoughts, I think that Sydney's spot on the list has been justified. The Olympic Park is a shining example of the facilities available. In terms of sporting, Sydney regularly hosts Rugby (Union and League), Australian Rules Football, Cricket, Tennis, Swimming, Athletics, various motorsports (out in the west) as well as the more obscure sports in Australia in the many purpose built facilities in Olympic Park. Both Melbourne and Sydney pack a sporting punch when the smaller populations are accounted for.

I noticed that Melbourne placed well in terms of weather too. However, all I hear in the weather reports is "Cloudy and chance of showers". I concede that I don't particularly pay close attention when it comes to that but. And I spose a lot of the cities on the list are far worse off (no offense, snow lovers).

sig.png

Haha yeah, you heard the term 'four seasons in one day' that is Melbourne's weather summed up.

Yep, something else to hold over you guys (and any other city in the world:D). Really the only reason i don't like Sydney is because ummmm im Melburnian, we have to hate ya's lol.

But as Australians, 2 Aussie cities at 1 & 3 doesn't suprise me. That's better than the US!

I want a recount...heh, yall got the unfair advantage of each city having most of the teams in the AFL(Melbourne) and NRL(Sydney)...heh, then again I don't think I can name one city that could support 10 teams in the same pro sport over here :P so I guess ya got us licked there :D cus New York's our biggest city, and their max in a given sport seems to be 3.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

One American city? Seems odd to me, but then again im American.

Not terribly odd... the U.S. isn't the only country in the world after all.

Give us time. . . . Give us time. <_<

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

It depends on the criteria.

I can understand their being so many countries represented for Sporting City as a whole.

There's some great sports cities here in America for sure, but we tend to focus on 3-5 sports while some of those other places enjoy a much wider range of sports and host a lot of tournaments encompassing those sports.

America's fans might be more rabid and loyal (but they might not...futball looks pretty dang intense over there, and perhaps some of the other sports are similar), but they probably don't enjoy as many sports.

One American city? Seems odd to me, but then again im American.

Not terribly odd... the U.S. isn't the only country in the world after all.

Isn't this the part where you complain about how Toronto didn't make the list? ^_^

I'm more offended that St. Louis didn't make the list ;)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

not surprising, they've finished there before in other non-sports related lists.

hosting the Formula 1 race in Melbourne proper certainly didn't hurt them at all. Beijing either. isn't the MotoGP race in Melbourne too?

harperdc.gif

Having been in Oz for part of the summer, I can tell you the sporting culture there is completly different than anywhere I've been in North America. Not only do all of their professional teams draw well but they also have a very high appriciation for amateur sport that I've not seen in almost any other country.

I'm hoping that was factored in the results. That's the reason they are becoming a force in the summer olympics and doing very well in improving in the winter olympics considering their winter is inadequate for training. Good on you guys for getting such high ratings, maybe we can learn from your example.

ManchesterCity_10Sig.png

hosting the Formula 1 race in Melbourne proper certainly didn't hurt them at all. Beijing either. isn't the MotoGP race in Melbourne too?

Yep, thats out on Phillip Island which is about an hour from where i live. Its about 2hrs from the city but its all Melbourne.

Having been in Oz for part of the summer, I can tell you the sporting culture there is completly different than anywhere I've been in North America. Not only do all of their professional teams draw well but they also have a very high appriciation for amateur sport that I've not seen in almost any other country. I'm hoping that was factored in the results. That's the reason they are becoming a force in the summer olympics and doing very well in improving in the winter olympics considering their winter is inadequate for training. Good on you guys for getting such high ratings, maybe we can learn from your example.

Perfect summary of Aussies. If it was tiddlywinks, we'd sell out the MCG for it. (thats never been tested but yeh its an old saying).

The new Winter Sports Institute is being built at Docklands, West Melbourne, that will hopefully become the Melbourne Ice home rink.

Once the Bubble Stadium (new Rectangular stadium next to Olympic Park) is built, i believe that will complete the city as far as sports venues goes.

Archived