Patriots to install FieldTurf

patsox

Well this is not your fathers Astroturf. I don't know of any player being hurt or even complaining about the stuff. A stadium needs to host more than just 10 NFL games, and as for now this the best surface. I'm sure something better will come down the line but as of now this is the best we have. Hell even horse racing is introducing an synthetic surface to replace "dirt" on a the track. Eventually all NFL stadiums will have this stuff except perhaps those in the deep south.

Well... this is a Sports Logo Forum...

I wonder what the permanent Field Markings/Artwork work will look like? I hope they don't permanently install gold lines for the Revolution's field. I like soccer, but I don't like the gold lining that teams seem to install.

From what I have seen and read about FieldTurf all of that is sewn in. The don't paint the field at all. So the soccer lines will be there. If I am wrong I know someone on here will correct me. :P

I wonder if there will be an issue with the turf being so new for a real game.

Usually the turf would go down during the offseason and there would have been plenty of time to make sure the footing was good. Face it the turf is just a shag carpet I wonder if it will be slick to run on the first few days (or weeks). If I was the Pats I would certainly hate to lose Brady due to footing issues due to changing the turf midseason.

Well... this is a Sports Logo Forum...

I wonder what the permanent Field Markings/Artwork work will look like? I hope they don't permanently install gold lines for the Revolution's field. I like soccer, but I don't like the gold lining that teams seem to install.

From what I have seen and read about FieldTurf all of that is sewn in. The don't paint the field at all. So the soccer lines will be there. If I am wrong I know someone on here will correct me. :P

As far as I know you can still paint FieldTurf with a water soluble paint that you can power wash off with soapy warm water. It's made special for FieldTurf so you can change sports without having it look like a parking lot.

From the FieldTurf website:

"Proprietary Permanent and Temporary Marking Systems

Convert a FIFA soccer field into a fully lined American football field in just six to twelve hours. Play soccer Saturday night and football Sunday. No visible seams, no faint backgrounds and no ghosting. This process does not damage the fabric backing like competitive techniques."

As far as I know you can still paint FieldTurf with a water soluble paint that you can power wash off with soapy warm water. It's made special for FieldTurf so you can change sports without having it look like a parking lot.

Convert a FIFA soccer field into a fully lined American football field in just six to twelve hours. Play soccer Saturday night and football Sunday. No visible seams, no faint backgrounds and no ghosting. This process does not damage the fabric backing like competitive techniques."

I don't know if the ghastly Metrodome uses Field Turf, but whatever brand they use is able to go from Twins to Gophers to Vikings in a single 24-hour period with no significant ghosting to speak of.

I don't know if the ghastly Metrodome uses Field Turf, but whatever brand they use is able to go from Twins to Gophers to Vikings in a single 24-hour period with no significant ghosting to speak of.

This reminds me of the Georgia Dome last January - it went from Peach Bowl to Sugar Bowl to Falcons' home game in a matter of four days or something ridiculous like that...and no significant ghost marks either.

I bet this decision had to do with the slop they played in last week.

Don't most soccer players hate playing on turf? I thought that it affects the play and most like natural grass over turf. Would the Revs have a say in Turf/Grass or do the Pats own the stadium?

Don't most soccer players hate playing on turf? I thought that it affects the play and most like natural grass over turf. Would the Revs have a say in Turf/Grass or do the Pats own the stadium?

Yeah they do but have you seen the Gillette field? It sucks. The Kraft Family owns both Pats and Revs and also Gillette Stadium, so I'm thinking they will be marking the field with washable paint.

Yeah they do but have you seen the Gillette field? It sucks. The Kraft Family owns both Pats and Revs and also Gillette Stadium, so I'm thinking they will be marking the field with washable paint.

Yeah I have seen it. It is horrible. They needed to get the turf, but the Revs may not like that, But I guess it won't matter because of Kraft.

I played football on field turf (feel like I always post this to dispell rumors that people have)

Soccer players hate it. The ball moves much much faster than on grass. Never met a soccer player that liked playing on it more than grass.

Football players I don't think care for the most part. You'll find some (like myself) that prefered it to grass. You'll also find those that hate it (you'll find people that love astroturf but hate grass too)...but generally we all loved it. It felt like grass, 50% reduction of injuries the first year for us, and no matter how wet it got, you still got the same grip. The only complaints were the rubber specks that get in your socks (forever...6 years later and they are still in my game socks) and eyes.

Many teams will have the different colors stitched in. you can tell by the lines are much much brighter becasue the blades are actually that color all the way through. For some reason everything on ours (football, and soccer) were stitched in, but the hashes were painted. not sure if they forgot or what. They just redid the middle logo on ours and you can really tell the wear and tear over a 6 year period. The new section is about 1/4" higher than the old. I'm not sure what the shelf life is, but I know old astroturf was spost to be 7 years. This seems to have held up.

Its about 4" long blades of grass with 3"-3.5" of rubber packed in. It'll play a little soft for a bit but nothing too major. The biggest thing you'll notice during the game, because the turf is new there will be rubber flying up when a player cuts or even when a ball hits it. This happened on ours for about 2 weeks and a couple rains. It settled after that.

didn't dallas do this 2 or 3 years ago between an off week and a couple of road games? I remember someone getting hurt and Jerry Jones saying he had enough of the old astroturf and ripped it up midseason.

I think the Saints did the same thing two or three years ago.

Archived