Patriots to install FieldTurf

patsox

It's about time. The grass stops growing in Foxboro roughly around the 3rd quarter of Kickoff weekend, and doesn't start again until May.

Big deal. I thought the hostile environment is what makes football great, and sets it apart from other sports. Nothing too hostile about synthetic fibers and rubber crumbs.

It's about time. The grass stops growing in Foxboro roughly around the 3rd quarter of Kickoff weekend, and doesn't start again until May.

Big deal. I thought the hostile environment is what makes football great, and sets it apart from other sports. Nothing too hostile about synthetic fibers and rubber crumbs.

What's hostile about perfectly maintained grass fields?? Or is football only great in the north where the fields are crap??

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Part of me wonders, mostly because Belichick is involved, if the timing of the switch is somewhat of a strategic move. I mean, it's no secret that the Gilette turf was going to suck all season, and the weather here in New England has actually been milder than normal for this time of year. But the Pats waited until after the Colts came to town with their fast break offense and speedy defense, which both would be negatively affected by mud and sand to change it, and it'll be changed before the Bears, who would prefer to grind it out, come to town.

I'll miss seeing shots like this, though... in a few years they may be gone from football for good:

1163369307_1761-1.jpg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

You know, I hate this. I like seeing football on grass and it adds a little drama during weather games, but NE didn't even try. A few years ago, around the time Gillette opened I believe, several teams went to the sand base for grass fields because it led to better drainage, but apparently it never dawned on the people who did that that there's a reason the beach isn't a lush field of green... Anyhoo, the Chiefs stopped after one season and everyone else did too, except the Pats. WHY??? It didn't work, yet they continued anyway, it doesn't make any sense.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Part of me wonders, mostly because Belichick is involved, if the timing of the switch is somewhat of a strategic move. I mean, it's no secret that the Gilette turf was going to suck all season, and the weather here in New England has actually been milder than normal for this time of year. But the Pats waited until after the Colts came to town with their fast break offense and speedy defense, which both would be negatively affected by mud and sand to change it, and it'll be changed before the Bears, who would prefer to grind it out, come to town.

I'll miss seeing shots like this, though... in a few years they may be gone from football for good:

1163369307_1761-1.jpg

Strategic blunder if that's the case. Pats have lost their last two at home, and I'd be prepared to blame the field conditions for the Jets loss at least.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1163369307_1761-1.jpg

Is that his dick hanging out or what? Not that I'm gay but what is that in that hanging in the photo.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

1163369307_1761-1.jpg

Is that his dick hanging out or what? Not that I'm gay but what is that in that hanging in the photo.

By the expression on his face it looks like he just noticed it and wonders why it's so tiny :P

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

I agree... nothing beats Natural Grass. But, the grass at Gillette turned in to a (insert monster truck voice here) GIANT MUD PIIIIT. Last night ESPN had the Miami Redhawks at Bowling Green on. If was cool to see. But in professional football where SO much money is involved... I can't see letting a muddy field be THAT much of a factor in the outcome.

What are teams to do? Some natural fields hold up well, some do not. So far, Cleveland is lucky and the field holds up. (Not that it's Play-Off tested) Columbus does not hold up. Saturday will be the 3rd Field installed this year! There is talk that Ohio State may need to switch to field turf.

By the way.. after reading the Patriots web page. They will use washable paint.

I agree... nothing beats Natural Grass. But, the grass at Gillette turned in to a (insert monster truck voice here) GIANT MUD PIIIIT. .

But that makes it more FUN FUN FUN

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived