Cisco Field

gueman

In looking at the renderings of the A's new Cisco Field. I noticed they crammed every element that made all the Retro parks unique in to one building except Tal's Hill. Although they might cram it in some place. I think that they miss the point of the Camden Yards revolution. It was simple classic baseball park with all the modern conveniences. Now they have gone over the top. Each place trying to out do the other. You can see the pix at the http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com

I like it. I'm loving that parkway that runs behind centerfield. (If I'm not mistaken, the final version of the St. Louis Ballpark Village is going to have something like this in left field, but IMO, this Fremont one looks nicer.)

For some strange reason, I also love outfield seating sections that hang over the street. And, even though it's extremely out of the way, I love those rooftop seats in right field.

I love ballparks that utilize existing architechture in their structuring, like Petco Field (but not Minute Maid Park, that is one awful looking ballpark).

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Wow, that is one nice looking stadium. I love the buildings out in the outfield and the park behind the stadium looks great. My only gripe is the wall in right field. It looks like it is 3 feet tall. But I love the other non-symmetrical outfield walls. Is this stadium definetly going to be built or is it just being talked about.

Fenway is the smallest in MLB at 38,000...

The way I understand it, because the A's have only 7,000 season ticket-holders, they want to create artificial demand for their tickets by limiting the capacity to 32,000-34,000 seats in the new ballpark. This limits the walk-up croud, because most folks would be forced to buy ahead of time to guarantee tickets...

Moose

Yeah, but...there are only 32,000 seats.

Exactly... In McAfee, with only 7,000 season ticket holders, fans knew they could walk-up on game-day and be guaranteed to get a ticket. In the new Cisco field, since the capacity will be so small, folks will buy ahead of time to guarantee a seat (either season tickets or pre-sold tickets). This does a couple of key things for the ownership; 1) guaranteed $ in the bank, reguardless of walk-up. It's also the reason they covered the upper deck at McAfee this past season. And, 2) you can sell those 32,000 seats for more money than, say 45,000 seats because of the perceved scarcity of tickets. Folks that think it's a "hard to get" ticket may be willing to pay $100 for a ticket in an always sold-out park, that would otherwise go for just $50 in a ballpark that's never sold out...

Moose

Archived