Wolff: Name change will include "A's of Fremont"

marlinfan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just change the name to the Fremont A's. Either that, or San Jose A's. No Bay Area A's, no Silicon Valley A's, no Golden State A's. Fremont is the best choice, as that's where the team will be playing. Still, San Jose could work if they want to associate themselves with a bigger city. Oakland should be out of the question, considering the city did nothing for the team.

It seems like it would be somewhat wrong to continue calling them the Oakland A's, since they aren't going to be playing in Oakland or an Oakland suburb and they're going to be located in the same tri-major-city area. While they'll be closest to San Jose, which is also the biggest city in the Bay Area, but I doubt the team would be called the San Jose A's because that would alienate their fanbase in the Oakland area. The San Francisco Bay A's wouldn't really work, because that might as well be San Francisco A's, and the Giants already have that covered.

It seems the best route to take would be to go with the Nothern California A's or The A's.

Or maybe the Alameda A's, since the team is staying within its county.

Here's hoping the new Congress outlaws the "[nickname] of [location]" formulation. I think that they would find massive bipartisan support for such a measure.

Please be sure to write your Congressman about this important issue. If the A's are allowed to use "of Fremont" in their name, the terrorists will have won.

I thought the terrorists won already?

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

It seems like it would be somewhat wrong to continue calling them the Oakland A's, since they aren't going to be playing in Oakland or an Oakland suburb

Fremont can be considered a suburb of Oakland. Why does this have to be so hard. Damn the Bay Area.

It seems like it would be somewhat wrong to continue calling them the Oakland A's, since they aren't going to be playing in Oakland or an Oakland suburb

Fremont can be considered a suburb of Oakland. Why does this have to be so hard. Damn the Bay Area.

The problem with keeping the "Oakland" name is that it was pretty much the city of Oakland that kicked the team out by bending over backward for Old Man Davis and the Faiders.

This will require a logo change since technically, they use "Oakland" in the green circle surrounding the A's. How much you want to bet they go all LA Angels and remove the circle and just go with A's as their logo.

They did that at the press conference. The circle was removed and replaced by a shaded ball as a backdrop.

This will require a logo change since technically, they use "Oakland" in the green circle surrounding the A's. How much you want to bet they go all LA Angels and remove the circle and just go with A's as their logo.

They did that at the press conference. The circle was removed and replaced by a shaded ball as a backdrop.

SF_1318.gif

I'm really happy that, while we all agree anything like the Angels tried to do is stupid, it's not beneath us to make the same joke over and over again.

Really, it's just as funny the 40th time as it was the first. And by "just as" I mean "not at all."

I'm really happy that, while we all agree anything like the Angels tried to do is stupid, it's not beneath us to make the same joke over and over again.

Really, it's just as funny the 40th time as it was the first. And by "just as" I mean "not at all."

Yes, but it becomes funny again if the A's do it B)

Is Fremont considered East Bay? Then they could be the East Bay A's. That has a good ring to it. They either have to keep "Oakland" and not mess with the name, or do something that is inclusive for Oakland and San Jose, I think.

Fremont is more like south bay if anything. dreadful is more like it. what happened to the plan to build at he adjacent swap meet next to the coliseum?

Two things: Oakland has no money for such a project, and Cisco down in Fremont does.

Anyway, Oakland, Fremont, they're both dumps (albeit Oakland's more of a ghetto dump and Fremont is a soulless wastland of corporate sprawl kinda dump).

I have a novel idea, although it is 180 degrees from the direction Wolff wants to apparently take...

Why not just simply call the team "The Athletics"?

No geographical name. Just "The Athletics."

I swear once reading that the team, when it was in Philadelphia, was officially called "The Athletics." Never did the team include any reference to Philadelphia on its uniforms or caps while it was in Philly. It wasn't until the team was in Kansas City that they started including a geographical reference on their road unis and caps.

So, it would be a nod to tradition for the team to once again refer to itself as "The Athletics." Whenever TV or newspapers require an abbreviation, they could simply use "ATH" or "A's" instead of "OAK" or "FRE" or "SV" or whatever else the official location of the team would otherwise be.

I already said sort of that opinion in a thread about the A's moving to Fremont. There a guy got some annoyance with my words. :D

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

See? You need that second half of the name in there for people to identify with. I'm rooting just as much for Chicago as I am for the Cubs, Bears, and Bulls.

Archived