Dodgers leaving Florida for the Cactus League

Gary

Read on AZCentral.com that the Dodgers were negotiating with the City of Glendale, AZ to be the new Spring Training Home for the Los Angeles Dodgers, also I heard on the news tonight that the City of Glendale and the LA Dodgers are holding a press conference tomorrow

Easily. Their facilities in Vero Beach are getting kinda run down, and they haven't been as much of a draw with their hometown fans lately (by hometown fans, I'm speaking of the ones from Los Angeles who go to Florida for spring training). A move to Arizona would give them new facilities and a shorter trip for Angelinos who want to take in spring training. It's a win-win situation for the team, although I do feel bad for the Dodgers fans in Florida.

QPR%20Sig.png

Tank, I hate to have to remind you, but the Dodgers have been in L.A. for nearly 50 years.

There are still New Yorkers who haven't gotten over that fact. I remember Howard Cosell was one of them, which was another reason I didn't like Cosell.

Yes, there was a certain charm about the Brooklyn Dodgers. But the L.A. Dodgers have had their own charm, too. And this comes from a Twins fan who still remembers losing to the Dodgers in the 1965 World Series.

Which brings up another point: How many world titles did the Dodgers win in Brooklyn, and how many did they win in L.A.?

Easily. Their facilities in Vero Beach are getting kinda run down

Really?

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/m...ark.jsp?c_id=la

"With the renovations that took place before the 2003 season, Dodgertown is now sporting a new look following a major project to upgrade the facility, including a multi-use 30,000-square foot building erected beyond the right-field fence at Holman Stadium. The building includes a Major League clubhouse, a 1,200-square foot physical therapy/weight room, meeting rooms, a video room, press room, kitchen, doctor's offices and executive and administration offices. In addition, four indoor batting/pitching tunnels, six pitching mounds and a bunting area were also added as part of the renovation."

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

This move by the Dodgers does not surprise me at all. Ever since they have sold/leased the Vero Beach franchise to the Rays, it was all but inevitable until the Dodgers decided to move spring operations closer to California.

On another factor of this move, when the Dodgers do pack up and leave Vero, the Rays will most likely relocate the Vero franchise to Port Charlotte, Florida....the new home of Rays Spring Training in 2009.

Easily. Their facilities in Vero Beach are getting kinda run down

Really?

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/m...ark.jsp?c_id=la

"With the renovations that took place before the 2003 season, Dodgertown is now sporting a new look following a major project to upgrade the facility, including a multi-use 30,000-square foot building erected beyond the right-field fence at Holman Stadium. The building includes a Major League clubhouse, a 1,200-square foot physical therapy/weight room, meeting rooms, a video room, press room, kitchen, doctor's offices and executive and administration offices. In addition, four indoor batting/pitching tunnels, six pitching mounds and a bunting area were also added as part of the renovation."

Holman Stadium is looking kinda ragged lately, though.

QPR%20Sig.png

Archived