Scranton Wilkes-Barre Yankees

dannymits

Looks like the Yankees new Triple-A affiliation with the Scranton Wilkes-Barre Red Barons will have the team switching to the namesake of the parent club.

I realize a WHOIS search is not the best to confim these things, but it reveals that the domain swbyankees.com is registered to Mike Cummings, P.R. Director for the team.

Take that as it may. Can't wait to see the new logo/uniform package on Dec. 13...

See end of thread

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Red Barons name. They should arrange something so that Allentown gets the Red Barons name as the Phillies' AAA team, rather than the...ugh...Iron Pigs.

I did too, but apparently they are afraid somebody might think they were named after Freiherr von Richthofen....

Either that or they didn't want any kind of association with the Red Sox. So "Red" anything would probably be out.

Personally I really don't like when a minor league team takes on the parent club's name. I think any team should have their own name and identity. Now if only some of their choices weren't so damn goofy.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I did too, but apparently they are afraid somebody might think they were named after Freiherr von Richthofen....

And what's wrong with that association? It's not like Snoopy's the mascot for any other the other 13 IL teams?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

According to Da Wik, they recolored the hat logo and retired the biplane.

Swb-2007.jpg

Like so.

Now what do you call these guys, as a nickname? Will they be the Baby Yanks, like the S/W-B Baby Pens? The Scrankees?

Swb-2007.jpg

Like so.

Now what do you call these guys, as a nickname? Will they be the Baby Yanks, like the S/W-B Baby Pens? The Scrankees?

The Offices...

I kid, I kid. Why couldn't they just be the Barons, and not the Yankees? Better yet, just call them the Bombers so they can have a nickname of Barre Bombers.

Swb-2007.jpg

Like so.

The Offices...

I kid, I kid. Why couldn't they just be the Barons, and not the Yankees? Better yet, just call them the Bombers so they can have a nickname of Barre Bombers.

That is what I was thinking, but it even looks better than what I thought. I am a Phillies fan, but screw the IronPigs, I might have to buy a SWB Yankees hat.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

They can have parties after games at Chili's. "Chili's is where small baseball happens." -Baseball America. It doesn't say it now, but it will. Letter to the editor.

Either that or they didn't want any kind of association with the Red Sox. So "Red" anything would probably be out.

The name actually is a derivative of the old Scranton Red Sox (and Wilkes-Barre Barons).

Actually what I really wish they would do is name the baseball team for Scranton and the hockey team for Wilkes-Barre. I can understand inclusiveness for marketing purposes but now that there are two teams in the area I say split them up.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Archived