Scranton Wilkes-Barre Yankees

dannymits

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Times-Tribune in Scranton is reporting that a new identity for the Red Barons is a done deal. It is expected that the team's new name and logo will be unveiled in early December. According to the newspaper, the new identity will be drawn from a pool of candidates comprised of:

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Babes

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Barons

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Bombers

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Clippers

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Coal Crackers

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Highlanders

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Iron Horses

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Mountaineers

Scarnton/Wilkes-Barre Pinstripers

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees

One can presume that Clippers is a smokescreen, as the International League is already home to the Columbus Clippers. Ditto for the Iron Horses, as the Ottawa Lynx are set to become the Lehigh Valley IronPigs next season. One would think that the International League and Minor League Baseball would prefer that teams competing in the same league have more unique team identities.

Additionally, I can't see the team adopting the name Babes (it sounds ridiculous), Pinstripers (a mouthful) or Coal Crackers (a mouthful and it sounds ridiculous).

I'd say the new identity is coming from amongst Barons, Bombers, Highlanders, Mountaineers or Yankees, with Yankees being the frontrunner.

• 2 weeks later...

If they do indeed change to Yankees, that will just go to show the selfishness of the parent club. Scranton/Wilkes Barre Red Barons is one of the few minor league team names i actually like. If it isnt broken, dont fix it. MLB clubs, just let your MiLB affiliates pick their own name and stay the hell out of it.

nicolevaidisova.jpgbarack-obama-043007.jpg

The reason I am on this earth-Nicole Vaidisova

Barack and Roll!!

I see most of these are relating to the Yankees in some way

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Babes- Babe Ruth

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Bombers- Yankees known as Bronx Bombers

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Clippers- Previous affliate name, also Joe DiMaggio.

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Iron Horses- Lous Gehrig

Scarnton/Wilkes-Barre Pinstripers- Yankees known as the pinstripes

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees- I can't figure this connection. :P

I think it will be Yankees because the other names sound dumb for a team name. Plus I think Columbus is keeping the Clipper name which pre-dates their affliation with the Yanks.

The team chose to put a Y on each of the caps, as in "Y did we muddle with the original SWB?" Furthermore, the creative people decided to resurrect two of the biggest atrocities of 1990s uniforms: the gray road cap (ala Dodgers, Royals, Orioles) and the pinstriped "Sunday" hat (Reds).

The use of the full Scranton/Wilkes-Barre name on the uniform doesn't help matters much. It looks like someone typed it in Impact font and played with Microsoft Word WordArt to achieve the wavy effect.

With that said, I plan on stopping by the team store tomorrow and buying the whole lot. Merry Christmas, family.

:sleeping:

What a boring, thoroughly pedestrian identity package. The logos - particularly the wordmarks to be worn on the home and road jerseys - look like something you'd see trotted out in an Over-40 softball beer league.

It's hard to believe, but this identity package is NOT an improvement over the muddled mess that was the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons.

The Dinkin Flickas?

Okay, thread over. Nobody's going to get a better Office reference than dinkin flicka.

You have to be a real big fan of the show to get that. It took me a minute to remember what that was referencing. Niiice.

:sleeping:

What a boring, thoroughly pedestrian identity package. The logos - particularly the wordmarks to be worn on the home and road jerseys - look like something you'd see trotted out in an Over-40 softball beer league.

It's hard to believe, but this identity package is NOT an improvement over the muddled mess that was the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons.

And the primary logo is a mere adaptation (read: ripoff) of the Staten Island Yankees' logo, just with "Scranton Wilkes-Barre" in place of "Staten Island." Nice.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

What a lame effort. I don't understand why they didn't just keep the old cap and change it to navy blue with white lettering? They couldn't replicate the parent team's home uniform by replacing the interlocking NY with an interlocking SWB?

The home cap should be the alternate or a batting practice cap.

Archived