Interesting Devlopments in NIT

nugent4president

I'm watching the Winthrop-North Carolina NIT game on ESPN. It seems that the NIT is going with at least somewhat neutral sites this season. Anyway, the Charlotte Sting have their logo at mid court and name down the baselines. Does anyone have any idea why it is this way? The WNBA isn't even in season right now, the Bobcats are, of course.

ducks-large.jpg

Aren't WNBA lines and college lines the same? The NBA being much farther out in the 3 point area. That could be a reason.

No, the WNBA line is a little bit farther out. Actually, during exhibition games this season, men's and women's college teams experimented with a 3-point line the same distance as the WNBA line.

I heard, but am not positive, that the arena made the decision to use the Sting floor because it didnt have the semi-circle under the basket (which the NCAA always makes NBA arenas cover up during the Big Dance, and the NCAA now operates the NIT and preseason NIT), and as a vehicle to promote the Sting brand to a nationwide audience.

Hmm, I was right down there on the floor, must have looked at the Sting logo a thousand times, and it didn't occur to me that it wasn't WNBA season, and the Bobcats court should have been down.

If anyone watched the whole game, apparently there was a nice shot of me dancing...I'm Big Stuff, the Winthrop eagle mascot in my sig. It's nice being on national TV :D ...but other than that, don't get me started on the game. :(

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

In the NIT, Maui Invitational, Great Alaska Shootout, and other preseason tournaments, the NCAA sometimes plays with "experimental" rules they want to try out.

I remember one year the preseason tournys played with four 10 minute quarters.

Another year they played with a six foul limit.

The year before the "double bonus" (2 shots after 10 fouls) they tried it in the preseason tournaments...sometimes the rules stick, other times they are just noveltys.

Hmm, I was right down there on the floor, must have looked at the Sting logo a thousand times, and it didn't occur to me that it wasn't WNBA season, and the Bobcats court should have been down.

If anyone watched the whole game, apparently there was a nice shot of me dancing...I'm Big Stuff, the Winthrop eagle mascot in my sig. It's nice being on national TV :D ...but other than that, don't get me started on the game. :(

I remember seeing the mascot dancing, i think right after halftime, but I'm not 100$ sure.

You guys gave us a heck of a game though.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Archived