Indiana Hooser football retros

cableguy

Does anyone remember, say in the late 70's or so...the Indiana Hoosier football team wearing an all beige or cream colored uniform with their classic red trim? I remember the helmet featured a weird variation of the "IU" interlocking letters. These we definately not white unis but a variation of a cream, peach or beige monochrome look.

thanks in advance for any replies

Does anyone remember, say in the late 70's or so...the Indiana Hoosier football team wearing an all beige or cream colored uniform with their classic red trim? I remember the helmet featured a weird variation of the "IU" interlocking letters. These we definately not white unis but a variation of a cream, peach or beige monochrome look.

That was the Sam Wyche era, the early 80's. He brought those uni's in.

Oh that explains alot then...I remember them looking absolutely dreadful..if Wyche was there that makes sense...everything about him was dreadful

any pics available? (of the uniforms NOT Wyche)

That was the Sam Wyche era, the early 80's. He brought those uni's in.

The "Sam Wyche Era" at Indiana was one year - 1983. That was the only year those were worn. Part of the design was to make it tough for the numbers to be picked up on the black-and-white coaches film that teams exchanged at the time, so that opponents would have a harder time telling the IU players apart. I did play-by-play for the IU student radio station at the time, and you could not read the "cream" numbers on the "crimson" jerseys from the press box.

Archived