ESPN: Nolan, Del Rio get OK to wear suits

Gothamite

Dress to impress: Nolan, Del Rio get OK to wear suits

Here's the beginning:

Mike Nolan and Jack Del Rio are ready to suit up.

The San Francisco coach and his Jacksonville counterpart have the NFL's permission to wear dress suits designed by Reebok during two games this season.

Nolan is expected to debut his old-school outfit -- a black suit, a white shirt and a red-and-gold-striped tie -- at the 49ers' home game against Seattle on Sunday. Del Rio also will wear a suit-and-tie ensemble in Monday night's home game against the Giants.

It'll be nice to have some adults on the sidelines. :D

Come on, who has their concepts ready?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dress to impress: Nolan, Del Rio get OK to wear suits

Here's the beginning:

Mike Nolan and Jack Del Rio are ready to suit up.

The San Francisco coach and his Jacksonville counterpart have the NFL's permission to wear dress suits designed by Reebok during two games this season.

Nolan is expected to debut his old-school outfit -- a black suit, a white shirt and a red-and-gold-striped tie -- at the 49ers' home game against Seattle on Sunday. Del Rio also will wear a suit-and-tie ensemble in Monday night's home game against the Giants.

It'll be nice to have some adults on the sidelines. :D

Come on, who has their concepts ready?

now if we could do something about that homeless bum that keeps walking around on the patriots sidelines every year. :P

suits designed by Reebok??????? How much you wanna bet that they're going to be in team colors.

Simply put, picture Jack Del Rio in a teal sport coat and Nolan in a Maroon one. I'm kind of curious as to what Reebok has planned.

It's about time. When the NBA is putting in a dress code that requires suits, it looks bad if the NFL forbids suits.

That said, is anyone else scared to see what a Reebok-designed suit looks like?

Whatever it is, can we agree that it's better than what a Nike-designed suit would look like?

I can see the piping and the wrap-around bib now...

suits designed by Reebok??????? How much you wanna bet that they're going to be in team colors.

Simply put, picture Jack Del Rio in a teal sport coat and Nolan in a Maroon one. I'm kind of curious as to what Reebok has planned.

From the article:

a black suit, a white shirt and a red-and-gold-striped tie

I'm betting that's what they have planned. :P

For the Jags, I'm presuming the same black suit with a gold-and-teal-striped tie.

From the article:

a black suit, a white shirt and a red-and-gold-striped tie

I'm betting that's what they have planned. :P

For the Jags, I'm presuming the same black suit with a gold-and-teal-striped tie.

Both of which would look great, assuming the ties are along these lines:

CGLD-4H.jpg

I couldn't find the matching colors. Save this one for Brian Billick and Brad Childress.

Bare with me on this one...

I think this is a well timed move. Here goes...

...With the NBA switching to suits for all members of teams not in uniform and the Hip Hop culture leaving the retro unis and hat look for classier suits and ties (Thanks to artists like Jay-Z, Kanye West, Diddy etc.) this could parlay into some big advertising deals with fashion designers/ upscale clothing makers. Recent history has shown that Hip Hop culture drives fashion trends in the U.S. and there is a big move towards the suit and tie.

The NFL could quite possibly cash in on that market with official ties, suits, and formal wear. I know I've seen pics of old coaches in suits with team logos on the jackets. Who knows, maybe they can start something big with this. Its safe to say that any move the NFL makes concerning sideline apparel is always made with consideration towards cashing in on merchandising.

Bare with me on this one...

I think this is a well timed move. Here goes...

...With the NBA switching to suits for all members of teams not in uniform and the Hip Hop culture leaving the retro unis and hat look for classier suits and ties (Thanks to artists like Jay-Z, Kanye West, Diddy etc.) this could parlay into some big advertising deals with fashion designers/ upscale clothing makers. Recent history has shown that Hip Hop culture drives fashion trends in the U.S. and there is a big move towards the suit and tie.

The NFL could quite possibly cash in on that market with official ties, suits, and formal wear. I know I've seen pics of old coaches in suits with team logos on the jackets. Who knows, maybe they can start something big with this. Its safe to say that any move the NFL makes concerning sideline apparel is always made with consideration towards cashing in on merchandising.

the thing about this 'timing' is that they are actually behind, this should have happened earlier. the nba switched their policy what, last year? and the whole hip-hop artists in polos and nice suits started about 4 or 5 years ago by my count. by doing this right now they are actually behind the ball, not on it. anybody else think this decision only came because we have a new NFL Commish?

Hopefully, they'll be form-fitting suits made out of an ultra-thin, sleek, technologically-advanced material that will quickly wick away perspiration and Gatorade baths. The jacket will, of course, have to be tucked into the pants to ensure the maximum effectability of the modern enhancements to suit design (and to make sure the side stripes line up). Also, as an added bonus, there'll be a bunch of cool stripes zig-zagging around the whole outfit.

Its only going to be for 2 games maximum folks.

Most football coaches don't want to wear suits, so this won't be much of a thing.

There has never been a dumber look than the football coach (like Auburn's old coach Pat Dye) with collared shirt and tie with ballcap.

But Mike Nolan DOES want to wear a suit. Personally, I hope his impeccable fashion inspires the San Francisco 49ers to greatness and they miraculously win the NFC West.

I could see Reebok using a black suit with pinstriping in team colors. Red for niners and teal for the Jags. Couldn't the coaches do what some college basketball coaches did anyways and wear lapel pins with the Reebok logo? I'd imagine each jacket will have the teams badge design from the early 90's on the left pocket as well.

Well, I think you're wrong. NFL coaches used to wear suits and fedoras on the sidelines, and everybody agrees that it looked pretty cool. Those guys commanded respect.

As for the manager thing, I don't see how that's germane to the argument. But for the record, Connie Mack, legendary manager of the Philadelphia Athletics, managed in civilian attire.

Archived