ESPN: Nolan, Del Rio get OK to wear suits

Gothamite

I have only one question.

Why?

I don't think "the suits" belong in sports.

Are you going to tell baseball managers to wear suits as well?

It's about sports...They're not going to a tea party... :shocked:

to my knowledge, the reason why baseball coaches still wear uniforms goes back to the 'old' days when there were many player-coaches in the majors. The tradition has continued today with the uniforms although there are no player-coaches today.

If you want a perfect example of why coaches should wear suits, either refer back to the 50's and 60's in the NFL or more recently refer to the cool and classy look of Pat Riley. Those are coaches who dressed for success, got respect and looked the part.

Just imagine the President of the United States at a press conference wearing a USA hoodie with wind pants. What would you think of him then? Sounds dumb to say but think about it, leaders should dress the part. Although a coach is far from the leader of a nation, he/she is the leader of a group of people coming together for a common cause. My old sales manager used to say "Act as if and DRESS as if" (The "as if" refered to being the president of the company.) Image is everything.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But I wouldn't wear a suit and tie if I needed comfortable clothes because I were in a frigging football stadium with mud all over the place!

You think a coach is really worried about his range of motion? :rolleyes:

Wearing a suit and tie is one of the most uncomfortable things a man can do. I know women think we look more attractive with them. But I don't care.

If your suits are not comfortable, you need to stop buying cheap suits. B)

Ties and suits are from the last century. Hello! We are in the 21st century, haven't you noticed?

A suit and tie is never out of style.

No wonder people who worry about their looks and attire have little or no talent to show for it, while people with lots of talent never worry about their looks.

Kudos McCartney! You are the best musician alive!

Even your hero knows that there are times when a suit and tie is appropriate.

Sir_Paul_McCartney.jpg

I never said out of style, I said we are in the 21st century, stop judging people by their attire.

Yes, Paul McCartney is receiving a medal in that photo, maybe he is with the queen, so yes, intelligent people like him know that when the queen is going to give you a medal (perhaps it is when they named him "Sir" Paul McCartney) you have to wear a tie.

Intelligent people recognize that there are some special moments in their lives when they should wear a suit and a tie. I myself, used a tuxedo when I got married, and used a tie and suit when I graduated from college.

But I wouldn't wear a suit and tie if I needed comfortable clothes because I were in a frigging football stadium with mud all over the place!

Wearing a suit and tie is one of the most uncomfortable things a man can do. I know women think we look more attractive with them. But I don't care.

Women also look more attractive with corsets on. Ask them if they feel comfortable with them on.

I hate ties, I hate suits. They are uncomfortable clothing. I think they should only be worn on very special occasions. Otherwise let people with their inferiority complex wear them all the time, so that they can dream that they are "successful" just because of what they wear.

Let people with talent, wear whatever they want.

LOL! I'd hate to wear a corset, period.

People who say that we should look beyond appearance and promote the talents of a person are kind of being a little naive towards the the idea of image and appearance. What you see affects your perception whether it is conscious or subconscious. You can't fight it. There are way too many studies to back that up.

That being said, you are right that talent should be the most important thing. But think about this for a second, we are a sportslogos board. We basically discuss image and appearance (logos and uniforms) on a daily basis. If appearance wasn't that important then teams would just wear black and white jerseys with no decals on their helmets. The endzones wouldn't be painted and there would be no mid field logos.

So there is some validity in saying that image is important when discussing the apparel of coaches as well.

If your suits are not comfortable, you need to stop buying cheap suits. B)

Damn. You beat me to it, Gothamite.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

If you're essentially the point man for a multi-million dollar business, and you want to dress the part, I think it's great that you're going to get the opportunity to do that. I'm not completely thrilled that it has to be a Reebok suit, but it's a step in the right direction.

And if you think that the way you dress shouldn't matter, you're entitled to your opinion. Personally, I see the school of thought that someone who spends a little extra time on their presentation is more likely to spend a little extra time to do their job right, too. It's all about attention to detail in many, many industries. I'd rather have a lawyer in a suit defending me than one with a Green Bay Packers polo, I'd rather hire an ad agency that dresses well, and I'd rather take direction from a manager that looks like he belongs in the office instead of the couch on a Sunday.

... as I type this in a Broncos shirt and jeans... Cas Fridays in a web shop is a little different story. :)

If you're essentially the point man for a multi-million dollar business, and you want to dress the part, I think it's great that you're going to get the opportunity to do that. I'm not completely thrilled that it has to be a Reebok suit, but it's a step in the right direction.

And if you think that the way you dress shouldn't matter, you're entitled to your opinion. Personally, I see the school of thought that someone who spends a little extra time on their presentation is more likely to spend a little extra time to do their job right, too. It's all about attention to detail in many, many industries. I'd rather have a lawyer in a suit defending me than one with a Green Bay Packers polo, I'd rather hire an ad agency that dresses well, and I'd rather take direction from a manager that looks like he belongs in the office instead of the couch on a Sunday.

... as I type this in a Broncos shirt and jeans... Cas Fridays in a web shop is a little different story. :)

well said...

...even though you are a mis-guided Broncos fan :P

Bill Belichick was asked in a press conference this week if he would be wearing a suit on the sidelines. Much to the reporter's surprise, Belichick said that he would consider it. He mentioned that he didn't even know it was an option, but that he thought it would be a neat way to honor legends like Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry. (If anybody didn't know, Belichick is quite a football historian, and his family owned an extensive collection of football books before donating it to the U.S. Naval Academy earlier this year.)

I think that the step up from ripped hoodies to a suit, even if it is made by Reebok, might be the ultimate in style whiplash.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

"Paul McCartney is a great person, sometimes you wonder how come someone so famous like he is, is such a simple and ordinary guy. I guess that it's better to worry about your talent that about your looks".

hamburg.jpg--->beatles1.jpg

Don't say "image does not matter" and cite the freaking BEATLES, you dumb dick.

When Nolan asked to wear a suit, the NFL should immediately have turned to Reebok and said,"Design us a suit." They should have even had Nolan consult with Reebok on the design. The NFL missed out on a prime opportunity to sell more stuff. There are some pretty hardcore fans out there who would buy an official team suit if it was available. There are probably wives who would thank the NFL because that's the only way to get their husband to wear a suit. The NFL could design an entire formal line right down to the tuxedo. What hardcore Steelers fan wouldn't want to get married in a black tux with yellow tie and cumberbund?

Oh man, Steelers fans would do that. Packers fans, too. Awesome.

That reminds me when I was in Wisconsin for a job fair, and people were dressed up for interviews in FAVRE JERSEYS. :lol:

As for the original topic, this is something Nolan has pushed for since he got hired by the 49ers, right? Yes, I really think they should let them wear suits if they want to.

sportsbanner-single.jpg

Oh man, Steelers fans would do that. Packers fans, too. Awesome.

That reminds me when I was in Wisconsin for a job fair, and people were dressed up for interviews in FAVRE JERSEYS. :lol:

Favre jerseys are all-purpose garments in Wisconsin. Your daughter's high school graduation? Thanksgiving dinner? Even church is acceptable: after all, you gotta get outta Mass in time for de game dere, yah hey.

Sports logos are one thing and that's why we're here.

But suits and what ever coaches ware are their personal style, not the logo of the team.

Look at Tom Landry, Paul Brown, Hank Stram. The were the identity of their teams. But identities change as we see today.

The suit does not make a logo, it's made by the identity of the team...and if it looks cool.

BTW. Romeo will not be wearing a suit this weekend and neither will Bill Cowher.

And that's they way it should be....

But suits and what ever coaches ware are their personal style, not the logo of the team.

Look at Tom Landry, Paul Brown, Hank Stram. The were the identity of their teams. But identities change as we see today.

The suit does not make a logo, it's made by the identity of the team...and if it looks cool.

BTW. Romeo will not be wearing a suit this weekend and neither will Bill Cowher.

If you are a member of a sporting organization and participate in any meaningful way with the team on game day, your sartorical choices are open to commentary and opinion on this board. Deal with it.

Of course I find it quite odd for even indirect praise of Belichek coming from a guy with a Browns avatar. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

B)

If you are a member of a sporting organization and participate in any meaningful way with the team on game day, your sartorical choices are open to commentary and opinion on this board. Deal with it.

Of course I find it quite odd for even indirect praise of Belichek coming from a guy with a Browns avatar. :rolleyes:

Yeah...so...what's your question???

As a Browns fan and having 20/20 hind sight...he needed more experience.

However that being said. If he can get me a Super Bowl wearing an old beat up sweatshirt. Then I don't care.

Scoreboard baby..... B)

BTW...

Did you know the Rams came from Cleveland?

http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?t=184

Check it out Bro.

I would almost see what the coaches wearing, not to as much of a uniform as the players wear, but still almost a uniform. If the league says you have to wear official Reebok apparel on the sideline, thats like a uniform.

Back in the days of Landry, Brown, and Stram; coaches could wear whatever they wanted. Hell, Bud Phillips used to wear a cowboy hat on the sidelines.

Even through the darkest days....this fire burns...always

EAGLEZZZZ.png

It's strange to see the difference in the amount of professionalism between the NFL and the NBA.

In the NFL the coaches have to fight to wear suits, in the NBA they have to make rules to get players to wear them.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

BTW...

Did you know the Rams came from Cleveland?

http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?t=184

Check it out Bro.

Oh, my god! Really?!?!

As for the topic, anyone naive enough to think that appearance doesn't matter in this world is bound to experience a big surprise some day. Whatever image you are trying to project (suit-and-tie professional, hip-hop attire, flannel shirts and jeans), people will assess you based on your appearance. If you want to be a rapper and don't dress in clothes with appropriate street "cred", that will work against you. It may be unfortunate, but it is also true.

That being said, I can't understand why someone would be opposed to NFL coaches wearing suits and ties on the sidelines if they want to. That is the key element of this discussion. No one is dictating this to any of the coaches who have said they may/will wear suits. The only rule is that it has to be a Reebok suit (why does "Reebok suit" sound like an oxymoron?).

If a coach wants to wear a suit for whatever reason (tribute to former coaches, more authoritative image, just likes the way it looks), that is his prerogative. If you think it looks silly or you couldn't imagine yourself doing so, so be it. You are entitled to that position.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived