Bowl Game Name Change

TBGKon

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/in....xml&coll=2

Looks like the Birmingham Bowl finally has a title sponsor, and a new name. The bowl will be announced officially at 12 Noon as the PapaJohns.com Bowl.

This is fin with me, since it is a new game. If they were to change the name of a classic, traditional bowl game like what they did to the Citrus and Peach Bowls, I'd go nuts. I don't mind corporate-named bowls as long as they are not classic bowls.

Almost all have had their official names altered in some fashion by corporate sponsors. Even the Rose Bowl. It's truly sad.

I know what you're saying, but as long as the traditional name is there, its fine in my book (ie. Capital One Citrus Bowl or Rose Bowl presented by Citi). But for these newer bowl games that may or may not be able to come up with a catchy name, a corporate-only bowl name is OK (ie. Meineke Car Care Bowl, Emerald Bowl).

heh, i was hoping the Peach Bowl was getting its real name back...I like Chick-fil-a's sandwiches, but not so much that a bowl should be named after em.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

For some reason, I draw the line at sponsor-only.

The biggest non-BCS bowl is the Capital One Bowl. SOmehow, not having a non-corporate name takes away from that. The Capital One Florida Citrus Bowl I can live with, but the non-corporate name needs to stay there.

Even the Birminham Bowl. The Papa Johns Birmingham Bowl...I'm sorry the PapajohnsDOTCOM Birmingham Bowl

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The biggest non-BCS bowl is the Capital One Bowl. SOmehow, not having a non-corporate name takes away from that. The Capital One Florida Citrus Bowl I can live with, but the non-corporate name needs to stay there.

As far as I'm concerned, Capital One can do whatever they want with the name of the college bowl game that they sponsor. God bless them! ;):D

Well since all but the BCS bowls are played in half filled stadiums, with out corporate sponsorship, they wouldn't be played at all.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Well since all but the BCS bowls are played in half filled stadiums, with out corporate sponsorship, they wouldn't be played at all.

Which would mean a PLAYOFF!!!!!!!!!!

Blame the corporate sponshorships for there being no playoffs in the NCAA. :P

saBS.png

Archived