NCAA Basketball

Shroinke

Hey, a question I've been wondering about for some time:

When college basketball teams play various tournaments (NIT, NCAA, Tip-Off), they usually play at neutral locations. Many times these places are the homes of NBA teams (Madison Square Garden is used frequently). My question is, how do they place the college 3 point line, center court logos, and baseline changes on the courts? Do they actually paint them on and remove later? Are they adhesive/vinyl? Or do they actually make additional court pices they change out?

I do not know for sure what they do, but I'll assume that they don't keep the same court and just repaint it. That would be a lot of work.

I know for a fact that the Garden uses vinyl logos and 3 pt lines for the NIT.

I do not know for sure what they do, but I'll assume that they don't keep the same court and just repaint it. That would be a lot of work.

I know for a fact that the Garden uses vinyl logos and 3 pt lines for the NIT.

Sticking with MSG - are the basketball baselines reversible or something? When the Knicks play, they're blue. When anyone other than the Knicks play, they're unpainted, probably so any clear-backed vinyl can be interchanged there (St John's, NIT, Coaches vs Cancer are examples of what I have seen on the MSG baseline).

With all the boneheaded decisions being made within Madison Square Garden, the baseline idea looks incredibly out of place.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Hey, a question I've been wondering about for some time:

When college basketball teams play various tournaments (NIT, NCAA, Tip-Off), they usually play at neutral locations. Many times these places are the homes of NBA teams (Madison Square Garden is used frequently). My question is, how do they place the college 3 point line, center court logos, and baseline changes on the courts? Do they actually paint them on and remove later? Are they adhesive/vinyl? Or do they actually make additional court pices they change out?

It is a vinyl tape that can be used without leaving a mark on the court. Courts cannot be repainted, then have a finish placed on top of it since that would take 10-14 days for the surface to cure. As for baselines, multipurpose facilities, like NBA arenas, have the court in squares for easy placement and removal for concerts or hockey. since it is more like a puzzle, you can have different baselines for different evens as long as they are in the correct place. This is opposed to what your high school gym or local rec center has as those are generally "floating systems" laid out in planks of varying length.

Along with the lines, the NCAA bars any representation of pro teams that use the court.

When the tournament was in Milwaukee and the Bucks and Marquette had the same court, the BUCKS along the end line was covered up.

And when they were played in Denver during the years the Nuggets had their "rainbow" unis and logo, the logo stayed but DENVER NUGGETS was fixed to say DENVER MILE-HI

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

And when they were played in Denver during the years the Nuggets had their "rainbow" unis and logo, the logo stayed but DENVER NUGGETS was fixed to say DENVER MILE-HI

I wonder how they did that? :therock:

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

I remember the first couple of years the PAC-10 had a tournament (the current incarnation, not the 80's version) they had a HUGE logo at center court at Staples Center. It was vinyl, and it was too slick. Players were slipping on it every time they crossed center court.

The NCAA only bars pro team or sponsor logos during tournament play. If you watch teams like St. Johns, Seton Hall or Villanova play during the regular season, chances are you'll see the various NBA teams' logos on the courts. But come tournament time, the courts are bare except for the NCAA logo and markings. You probably won't even see the arena logo, only its name printed outside the sidelines or baselines.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

You probably won't even see the arena logo, only its name printed outside the sidelines or baselines.

I know that for a fact some college arenas that share an arena with pro counterparts have the arena logo on the college's court. ex. the team that shares one with the Pistons @ the Palace. I can't think of it, but they hosted part of the tournament last year

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

You probably won't even see the arena logo, only its name printed outside the sidelines or baselines.

I know that for a fact some college arenas that share an arena with pro counterparts have the arena logo on the college's court. ex. the team that shares one with the Pistons @ the Palace. I can't think of it, but they hosted part of the tournament last year

Oakland University - they hosted the Auburn Hills tournament games. They were compliant with NCAA standards by installing the Oakland U home floor in the Palace.

George Mason would do similar things by installing their Patriot Center home floor when hosting tournament games in Landover at the old Capital Centre/US Airways Arena. This struck me as funny since the venue was also the home site for the Georgetown Hoyas at the time. They weren't the host school though in suburban DC, so I guess that's why it happened this way.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

The NCAA only bars pro team or sponsor logos during tournament play. If you watch teams like St. Johns, Seton Hall or Villanova play during the regular season, chances are you'll see the various NBA teams' logos on the courts. But come tournament time, the courts are bare except for the NCAA logo and markings. You probably won't even see the arena logo, only its name printed outside the sidelines or baselines.

Villanova has a "V" at center court, and their name on the endlines at the Wachovia Center.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived