Rangers DFW hat: am I going in the right direction?

the admiral

I'm thinking of doing another Texas Rangers concept. Would this be a better alternative to the tired old T? I figure this narrows down which part of the state they're in, since neither the Rangers nor Astros recognize the metropolis on the hats. It's a little cluttered, but no worse than the Red Barons.

rangershat.jpg

No.

Stick with the T, or a TR analgram... they're not DFW, they're Texas... and they don't play in D or FW. You'd be closer with an A, honestly.

actually, DFW is a term to represent the entire dallas area. arlington is a part of dallas-fort worth.

I'd go with a big D with a smaller FW inside it, the way you have it now, it reads as FDW to me.

Haha. Whoops. I was going to do something like that first, but I didn't want to marginalize the Fort Worth part of the Metroplex here, even though Dallas is the bigger and more important half. Also, I wanted Fort Worth to the left of Dallas.

I'd go with a big D with a smaller FW inside it, the way you have it now, it reads as FDW to me.

I read it the same way. I would suggest having the letters run diagonally from top left to bottom right (while still interlocking, that is -- I'm trying to think of an example in case I'm not being clear).

I wanted Fort Worth to the left of Dallas.

I know that is how it looks on a map, but it doesn't work in a monogram, since the phrase is "Dallas-Fort Worth", not "Fort Worth-Dallas".

Overall, I think this is a good idea. Even if it doesn't work as a cap logo, it could go on a sleeve.

No.

Stick with the T, or a TR analgram... they're not DFW, they're Texas... and they don't play in D or FW. You'd be closer with an A, honestly.

actually, DFW is a term to represent the entire dallas area. arlington is a part of dallas-fort worth.

But they represent ALL of Texas.

That's a major reason I became a fan of them as a kid.

Well... that... and Nolan, Sierra, Franco, Charlie Hough, etc....

But as a Rangers fan, I would not buy anything with a DFW on it.

http://sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=2895

I would buy a hat with this logo on it...

But if you're looking for something to represent Texas, you have about 3 choices. A T, an R, or a star.

That's like asking if you can make a Yankees hat a B, for the Bronx, or put NJ on the side of the Giants helmet.

No.

But they represent ALL of Texas.

Do the Houston Astros know this?

Anyway, reading it top to bottom, left to right, the D still comes before the F, doesn't it?

Having lived in Texas almost all of my life, outside of the Houston area, the Astros have like no fanbase... West Texas, all Rangers. Central Texas, Rangers, Gulf Coast was pretty Rangers-centric too.

The Astro games, comparably, in most of the state, just does not show... maybe they make up for that in LA, MS, etc... but it's true.

The Texas Rangers are, geographically, Texas' team.

Ya know, if I have to pay for half of Jones' stadium, I would rather the Cowboys take the name of Arlington. The same is for the Arlington Rangers. If Dallas would like their name on a hat, they can pay for their own darn stadium. Of course, they can't even fix the Cotton Bowl, much less create a new stadium.

No.

Yeah. Don't do a Big D ANALgram. Might just be too painful to look at. :P

• 2 weeks later...

The Texas Rangers got the blessing of the actual "Texas Rangers" law enforcement agency when they named the team. To name them anything other than the "Texas" Rangers would completely bastardize the name and loose it's entire meaning. Many of their past logos have revolved around the badge worn by the Rangers almost since the organization was assembled. Why does everyone look to change names that have an actual geographic meaning when other teams just drag their names all over the country with them.

Ya know, if I have to pay for half of Jones' stadium, I would rather the Cowboys take the name of Arlington. The same is for the Arlington Rangers. If Dallas would like their name on a hat, they can pay for their own darn stadium. Of course, they can't even fix the Cotton Bowl, much less create a new stadium.

If the Arlington taxpayers have to pay for ANY portion of that stadium, the Cowboys had damn sure better take Arlington's name. But I think it's pathetic that Jones would even ask to use public money at all, rich as he is.

Haha. Whoops. I was going to do something like that first, but I didn't want to marginalize the Fort Worth part of the Metroplex here, even though Dallas is the bigger and more important half. Also, I wanted Fort Worth to the left of Dallas.

I would not say Dallas is more important..more significant, maybe.

The Texas Rangers got the blessing of the actual "Texas Rangers" law enforcement agency when they named the team. To name them anything other than the "Texas" Rangers would completely bastardize the name and loose it's entire meaning. Many of their past logos have revolved around the badge worn by the Rangers almost since the organization was assembled. Why does everyone look to change names that have an actual geographic meaning when other teams just drag their names all over the country with them.

They'd still be the Texas Rangers here, the hat would just say DFW, the way the Minnesota Twins have TC and the Washington Nationals are supposed to say DC. Nostalgia for those 1970 Senators, what can I say.

Archived