Notre Dame drags out the green jerseys

sj32

It's like a once-a-year thing now I guess...I like em, makes them look really good.

With that being said, their win percentage ain't so hot in the greens. Even though they're playing Army, watch out for the upset.

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) -- Sixth-ranked Notre Dame, looking for a motivational boost in its home finale, broke out the green jerseys for its game Saturday against Army.

Just as the Fighting Irish have in years past, the Irish warmed up in their normal blue home jerseys but came out of the locker room for the start of the game wearing green. It was the first time they wore the green since losing 34-31 to top-ranked USC last October.

Some in the stands cheered the green jerseys, others groaned.

The Irish have not fared well wearing green in recent years. In 2002, the Irish lost 14-7 to Boston College in 2002, then-coach Tyrone Willingham's first loss after eight straight wins to open the season. Before that, the Irish lost wearing green in a 35-28 loss to Georgia Tech in the 1999 Gator Bowl and 41-24 to Colorado in the 1995 Fiesta Bowl.

The Irish beat Florida 39-28 wearing white shirts with green numbers in the 1992 Sugar Bowl. In 1985, the Irish came out in the first half wearing blue against USC and at halftime switched to green in a 37-3 victory.

In 1977, when coach Charlie Weis was a senior at Notre Dame, the 11th-ranked Irish wore green and beat No. 5 USC 49-19 en route to the national championship.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Once again, if they're going to wear green jerseys, they should wear white pants and helmets, with orange stripes. Don't mix flags.

Mixing flags?

I think he's referring to the Irish Flag which if memory serves is Green, White, and Orange. I could be wrong though.

I like the green jerseys but I still prefer the Irish in blue.

BB52Big.jpg

Once again, if they're going to wear green jerseys, they should wear white pants and helmets, with orange stripes. Don't mix flags.

Mixing flags?

I think he's referring to the Irish Flag which if memory serves is Green, White, and Orange. I could be wrong though.

I like the green jerseys but I still prefer the Irish in blue.

Yep, that is what he's refering to, but it's pretty far off the mark when refering to the Irish's unis. Gold and blue have been N.D.'s official school colors almost all the way back to its founding (blue being a color associated with the Virgin Mary, N.D.'s namesake, gold standing for Truth and the golden dome on the main building). The green came along once "Fighting Irish" had become the football team's de facto, and then official, nickname (though the official colors of the school remain only gold and blue).

ND_5262.gifND_5261.gif

Home, road. Represents the Fighting Irish nickname at home by way of the green, represents Notre Dame and its school colors on the road. Though I wish they'd wear socks. I always thought sockless looked sloppy.

ND_5262.gifND_5261.gif

Home, road. Represents the Fighting Irish nickname at home by way of the green, represents Notre Dame and its school colors on the road. Though I wish they'd wear socks. I always thought sockless looked sloppy.

Nice job but if you add a USF logo and you've got a nice South Florida Bulls concept. Notre Dame's uniforms are perfect as is.

BB52Big.jpg

I was there - true. My mother got tickets and I flew into Chicago, hooked up with my mother & brother Jere and his friend. My uncle & his girlfriend flew in from California. My uncle attend Notre Dame from 1957-59.

We were there and it was awesome! They warmed up in their traditional blues and after going back in, they changed. When they came out in their GREENS the stadium erupted - We were on the 35 yd. line, 32 rows up behind the south end of the army bench.

What a great exprience - the whole weekend; pep rallys, touring the campus, buying ND stuff at the book store. There were alot of people there. Our section was full

Anyway, I'll post pictures later. I just got back from Chicago about an hour ago - I need a nap.

KCScout76

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I like the idea of these being worn on Senior Day.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Archived