Report: Cubs sign Soriano at $136 million

Davey

Chicago radio station ESPN 1000 reported Sunday that the Cubs have signed outfielder Alfonso Soriano to an eight-year contract worth approximately $136 million.

Dam this is great for the Cubs. Everyone is probally shocked on the money, but what he brings sure is going to help the Cubs.

4kv29i.jpg

And this solves the Cubs pitching problems how?

This is a bad-signing IMO. Soriano is too much of a selfish player to be given this type of contract. He had a good rookie season and fantastic postseason in 2001 with the Yankees but the team had soured on him by 2003-2004 because of his attitude that they were more than willing to trade him for A-Rod. Sure they got what seemed to be at the time a great return for him but the Yankees were pretty much done by then. There was the 2nd base issue that once again came up with Washington last year and in the 2003 playoffs he couldn't put the bat on the ball for his life and struck out a ton. He seemed uninterested in trying to work on his overaggressive style that caused many k's. Then of course there were issues in Texas and Washington. The fact is the Cubs will be his 4th team already with him just becoming free agent eligible is alarming IMO.

I don't really expect that the 2nd base issue will be too much of a problem for Soriano anymore. He's more valuable as a corner OF (and I think he knows it). However, these uber-contracts are tough to judge. He is a fantastic player, but will this tie their money up too much to get any decent pitching? Texas had that problem when they had A-Rod. A big PR signing, but maybe not a practical one.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

rediculous contract money and time (he'll be a 15+million player as a 38 year old)

But it should help the cubs offensively....Soriano, Lee, Ramierz is quite scary. I'm not surprised they signed him because they targetted him early. With their 2 biggest rivals winning the championship back to back, looks like they are trying to buy one. Which almost always works out well....

From the past 3 championships, I would build a team around 1-2 really good pitchers, a couple above average pitchers, and 1 or 2 big hitters. Fill the rest of the team with good roll players and pray for luck. Playoffs are a crapshoot...ask the Mets, Yankees, Twins, and Tigers about 2006. The last team that "bought" a championship might have been the first Marlins one. Yes the Red Sox and yankees had a high payroll, but that formula basically fit those teams.

The scary part is having Juan Pierre and Soriano batting 1-2 in the lineup. Remember the 2003 Marlins? They had two successful leadoff hitters batting 1-2, and they ran all of baseball to death. And Soriano teeing off on a windy day at Wrigley is no fun either, I'll bet.

Good luck, NL Central.....

Pierre is probably gone, and Soriano will suck at Wrigley because it's too early for him, or the fans hurt his feelings, or Lou Piniella is mean, or something.

Sorry, I'm so used to the Dusty Baker era of blaming the fans and weather.

The scary part is having Juan Pierre and Soriano batting 1-2 in the lineup. Remember the 2003 Marlins? They had two successful leadoff hitters batting 1-2, and they ran all of baseball to death. And Soriano teeing off on a windy day at Wrigley is no fun either, I'll bet.

Good luck, NL Central.....

Him fielding on a windy day at Wrigley shouldn't be too much fun either...

They'll be able to mash...but can the field or pitch? There's still sooooooo much time for them to get better in those areas and for them to shoot themselves in the foot.

Work should be fun tomorrow. This is all I'm going to hear about. And I'll just say 10 to 1. :D

Archived