Rory Fitzpatrick to the NHL All-Star Game

OMMF

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, whilst you're spamming for Rory, take some time out to vote for Barbaro in the SHOTY on Deadspin. Laugh, Cry, and wonder what kind of creepy old women write love letters to a 3-legged horse.

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/polls/deads...baro-223562.php

GROW VOTE GROW! :P

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Sweet...

The question is...will he accept the invitation if he stays in the top 2...

A lot of media around Vancouver are speculating that he will say thanks to the fans, but pass it up because he obviously doesn't "deserve" to go...

but ...in an interview, he said he would take a player poll, and if a large majority of the players vote for him to go, he would, but I'm sure some western conference defencemen may not quite like this idea, since Rory could be taking up their spot in the STARTING line-up, which is a pretty big deal..

i don't understand this why not play? i understand the whole 'not deserving to be there' scenerio but it would be a way to make a name for yourself being a scrub at the ASG. c'mon he knows he wants to go and this is the closest he'll ever come to ever getting to the ASG. plus i'd like to see a little egg on the face of the NHL and there voting system which everyone is thoroughly exploiting.

Why not play? Pride.

"would be a way to make a name for yourself being a scrub" I know when someone tries to make me the butt of their joke, I play along.

I'm sure he realizes he's not the best guy in the league. But, he IS IN the league, unlike most of the 400,000+ who are voting for him and trying to make a mockery of him. It's like the ugly girl who gets voted Prom Queen so the "cool" kids can laugh at her. Only someone who is really lacking in any kind of character would play in the game, let alone accept an invitation.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Sweet...

The question is...will he accept the invitation if he stays in the top 2...

A lot of media around Vancouver are speculating that he will say thanks to the fans, but pass it up because he obviously doesn't "deserve" to go...

but ...in an interview, he said he would take a player poll, and if a large majority of the players vote for him to go, he would, but I'm sure some western conference defencemen may not quite like this idea, since Rory could be taking up their spot in the STARTING line-up, which is a pretty big deal..

i don't understand this why not play? i understand the whole 'not deserving to be there' scenerio but it would be a way to make a name for yourself being a scrub at the ASG. c'mon he knows he wants to go and this is the closest he'll ever come to ever getting to the ASG. plus i'd like to see a little egg on the face of the NHL and there voting system which everyone is thoroughly exploiting.

Why not play? Pride.

"would be a way to make a name for yourself being a scrub" I know when someone tries to make me the butt of their joke, I play along.

I'm sure he realizes he's not the best guy in the league. But, he IS IN the league, unlike most of the 400,000+ who are voting for him and trying to make a mockery of him. It's like the ugly girl who gets voted Prom Queen so the "cool" kids can laugh at her. Only someone who is really lacking in any kind of character would play in the game, let alone accept an invitation.

i see where you are comming from but it seems to be more of a mockery of the system than of him per se. Though i can't imagine people laughing as much as going, "WTF?" and wanting the system to be changed so it doesn't happen again.

as for the ugly girl being named prom queen, we actually had that happen my junior year of HS. Except it wasn't to laugh at her, she actually was the popular girl but one of the ugliest persons you will ever see this side of Rosie and Ellen, physically and personally. THe reason she was popular was because she wore a swastika tatoo and everyone in her class thought it was cool and agreed with her. HOwever we did have a similar situation you described, the girl was a pretty good looking if not down right hot but was as popular as say an 'ugly betty'(though on Top Chef that is an appropriate name) mainly because she was religious and was severly outcasted and was named prom queen speficially to laugh at her and make jokes at her. sorta like 'carrie'. SHe told them to drop dead and never showed up and avoided the embarrasment. Which at the end of the day actually proves your point.

just think of the press Rory would get if he had a TO personality.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

You know, maybe some people did vote for Rory as a joke, but sort of got attached to the hard-working journeyman and felt he deserved a shot anyway. I'm not laughing at him.

You know, maybe some people did vote for Rory as a joke, but sort of got attached to the hard-working journeyman and felt he deserved a shot anyway. I'm not laughing at him.

I agree there. My 50 (and counting!) votes for him are more for the idea of an "everyman" player making the ASG. Look, I'd rather see Fitzpatrick as a result of an Innernets-wide effort there than an alternate who gets tossed on because someone suddenly wants to nurse their "upper body injury" back to health the week before the game. Frankly, I think the league should jump on the idea and add a special roster spot for the 7th Defenceman/13th Forward to a hardworking everyday player who would never sniff at an All-Star Game spot otherwise. Have the coaches pick 6 guys per conference (3 forwards, 3 defencemen), and let the players have 50% of the vote, and the fans 50%. The guy with the highest percentage gets the spot. In order to stop it from being "just another spot that the same person gets in every year" (Otherwise known as the "Artrus Irbe Rule" from the NA-World All Star Games...), the winner isn't eligible for the next 3 seasons, so there's always going to be someone different. In the game, they'd be used sparingly like in any other game.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.slate.com/id/2157741/fr/rss/

Slate takes a look at NHL.com's closing down of the Vote for Rory movement. It's kind of sad, actually.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I started a new topic, but apparently it wasn't warranted.

This has nothing to do with reserves, it has to do with Scott Niedermayer, the starter, as voted on by fans, not going to the All-Star game because of injury. Shouldn't his spot go to Fitzpatrick since he was the next vote getter?

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

I started a new topic, but apparently it wasn't warranted.

This has nothing to do with reserves, it has to do with Scott Niedermayer, the starter, as voted on by fans, not going to the All-Star game because of injury. Shouldn't his spot go to Fitzpatrick since he was the next vote getter?

IIRC in all-star games replacements for starters are drawn from the existing roster, and the backups are replaced by a designated reserve.

I can only assume Rory was not one of the reserves.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This is where you make it a completely fair system. Just designate that there aren't any write-in votes. You make a list before the season of about 15 goalies, 30 defensemen, and 45 forwards per conference, and all votes would be confined to those lists. Reserves are also chosen from these lists. Simple and fair.

LvZYtbZ.png

This is where you make it a completely fair system. Just designate that there aren't any write-in votes. You make a list before the season of about 15 goalies, 30 defensemen, and 45 forwards per conference, and all votes would be confined to those lists. Reserves are also chosen from these lists. Simple and fair.

Ban fan voting.

Simple, direct, effective.

<----Sick and tired of seeing Yao Ming start for the Western Conference every season in the NBA all-star game.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ban fan voting.

Exactly. This whole Fitzpatrick thing is a case study on why fan voting is a joke. It's gotten to the point that instead of actually rewarding the true stars of the game, you have these damn drives to vote for someone lucky to even be in the NHL, and you have the larger market teams always getting starters because they have larger fan bases to draw votes from. Leave it to the players. Skip the fans.

VmWIn6B.png

Or allow fan voting, just not unlimited voting. Actually put in the effort technologically to allow only one vote per person. I know you can get around just about any system for that, but you're probably not going to have people creating auto-voting Firefox add-ons if it's a harder system to get around.

Ban fan voting.

<----Sick and tired of seeing Yao Ming start for the Western Conference every season in the NBA all-star game.

Yeah, once we get those pesky fans out of the way, this hockey thing's going to be a big success! <_<

Fans should have SOME say in ASG rosters, because it's just an exhibition for the fans (or should be no more than that, Mr. Selig). However, it shouldn't be such a big deal that it becomes a farce like this.

Rammy, I'm tired of Yao Ming in the ASG too, but we have to appeal to a country that keeps political prisoners in labor camps. There's gold in them thar oppressive Communist nations. Don't miss the China Bowl on NBC!

Archived