Its official MNF now Sucks

NJTank

Every week theres a celebrity in the booth I'm sick of it. Stick to football, and cut the crap they had Ronde in the first half ok hes Tiki's brother, but why Jay-Z I don't want to see Jay-Z.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Here's the thing that makes it worse MNF is now on ESPN which is an all sports network. I could see this stuff on ABC because of trying to draw in the non-sports audience. However that's not going to work on ESPN because the non-sports fan isn't even going to turn on ESPN to begin with where as they might turn on ABC.

Here's the thing that makes it worse MNF is now on ESPN which is an all sports network. I could see this stuff on ABC because of trying to draw in the non-sports audience. However that's not going to work on ESPN because the non-sports fan isn't even going to turn on ESPN to begin with where as they might turn on ABC.

Generally I prefer sports on ESPN for that reason. The networks show the star of their new hilarious sitcom (which will be pulled before the seasons change) in the audience. And overall, I like the ESPN guys in the booth better.

But whether on ABC or ESPN, MNF has been trying too damn hard. Dennis Miller, Kornheiser. Sorry, but Monday Night Football will never have the ratings it used to and there is nothing they can do about it? Why, well probably because of ESPN. Now there are so many games on that MNF has lost its special place. You can watch so many college games it's not even funny. More pro games too, not to mention other sports. MNF used to be one of the few games that a fan could watch over the course of the week, back when it was only networks. Now it's just one of an infitiate number. It can never have the importance that it did in the 70s and 80s. So, as Tank said, just make it a football game, not a chit-chat session with whoever.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

But whether on ABC or ESPN, MNF has been trying too damn hard. Dennis Miller, Kornheiser. Sorry, but Monday Night Football will never have the ratings it used to and there is nothing they can do about it? Why, well probably because of ESPN. Now there are so many games on that MNF has lost its special place. You can watch so many college games it's not even funny. More pro games too, not to mention other sports. MNF used to be one of the few games that a fan could watch over the course of the week, back when it was only networks. Now it's just one of an infitiate number. It can never have the importance that it did in the 70s and 80s. So, as Tank said, just make it a football game, not a chit-chat session with whoever.

I think MNF's ratings have dropped because of the parity the league has created.

Back before the cap, the NFL had a pretty good idea on which teams would be contending for the postseason throughout the year, hence the reason why the 49ers, Cowboys, Steelers, Packers, and Raiders got so much coverage on MNF, while other teams like the Cardinals, Falcons, Saints, and Bengals appeared on MNF only when they're coming off a winning season or were playing a big-market team. Now that there's so much parity, it's a crap-shoot when the NFL divies up national coverage, especially for MNF. Some of these late-season matchups have been horrible, at best.

I think MNF's ratings have dropped because of the parity the league has created.

Back before the cap, the NFL had a pretty good idea on which teams would be contending for the postseason throughout the year, hence the reason why the 49ers, Cowboys, Steelers, Packers, and Raiders got so much coverage on MNF, while other teams like the Cardinals, Falcons, Saints, and Bengals appeared on MNF only when they're coming off a winning season or were playing a big-market team. Now that there's so much parity, it's a crap-shoot when the NFL divies up national coverage, especially for MNF. Some of these late-season matchups have been horrible, at best.

That's an interesting point. I don't know how many times the Super Bowl Champs are on MNF this year, but they are obviously a dissappontement. And every year, I am sure the key suprise teams are not even on MNF. Gone are the days when you could count on the Niners and Cowboys every year. Good for the sport? I am the type of fan that loves it, but you are right in that you are more likely to get two 6 and 8 teams playing in week 16.

I'd be curios to see how much affect the record of the participants has had on the ratings before, and also since, the cap era began.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Monday Night Game is the old Sunday Night Game and vice versa, if everything falls the way the NFL wants the importance of the games goes #1 Sunday Night Football, #2a the top Fox 4:15 pm game, #2b the top CBS 1:00 pm game, #3 the top FOX 1:00 pm game, #4 the top CBS 4:00 pm game, #5 Monday Night Football on ESPN and #6 Thursday Night NFL Network game.

I really don't care. All I want to do is watch the game. And Jay-Z is not impeding the progress of me watching the game. Therefore, it doesn't bother me.

And it doesn't hurt that I'm a Jay-Z fan... :P

You surely forgot, or do not remember what the acronym stands for. The "E" stands for "Entertainment". Talking about an upcoming ABC, or Disney-owned program does not bother me, you have gotten the same from all of the entertainment giants (NBC-Universal, and Viacom). Jay-Z was not on for his CD primarily, but for the AMA show tonight. This is November sweeps, so live airtime to promote shows can increase ratings. It sometimes beats the color commentator giving us "NFL -101"...the stating of the obvious to even a toddler. If you think it stinks, don't watch it, you have a choice. If the ESPN announce crew bothers you, and you live in an area with Westwood one, listen to Marv and Boomer.

You surely forgot, or do not remember what the acronym stands for. The "E" stands for "Entertainment". Talking about an upcoming ABC, or Disney-owned program does not bother me, you have gotten the same from all of the entertainment giants (NBC-Universal, and Viacom). Jay-Z was not on for his CD primarily, but for the AMA show tonight. This is November sweeps, so live airtime to promote shows can increase ratings. It sometimes beats the color commentator giving us "NFL -101"...the stating of the obvious to even a toddler. If you think it stinks, don't watch it, you have a choice. If the ESPN announce crew bothers you, and you live in an area with Westwood one, listen to Marv and Boomer.

No I actually didn't forget what the E stands for but you actually made my point. Most people do forget or don't care what the E stands for. For most ESPN is a sports only network so unless they are a sports fan they aren't going to turn on ESPN because the S is more important than the E. As for cross promotion I'm fine with it but they have taken it to far. It's one thing run a promo but to bring someone in the both and pretty much disrupt the telecast of the game is ridiculous. For the most part NBC and CBS (the examples you used) don't do that. The only other one I can think of that does it regularly is FOX and they have gotten complaints to say the least. As for advise I have taken it I tend to watch Hockey on VS on Monday Nights and only really watch MNF if the hockey game gets to be a blowout or if I want to watch one of the teams playing on MNF.

The Monday Night Game is the old Sunday Night Game and vice versa, if everything falls the way the NFL wants the importance of the games goes #1 Sunday Night Football, #2a the top Fox 4:15 pm game, #2b the top CBS 1:00 pm game, #3 the top FOX 1:00 pm game, #4 the top CBS 4:00 pm game, #5 Monday Night Football on ESPN and #6 Thursday Night NFL Network game.

I agree that it certainly is this way, but shouldn't the NFL want Monday Night Football in the #2 spot? Watching ESPN try to hype the hell out of these Jacksonville Jaguars/Seattle Seahawks snoozers is sad.

Thursday. Comes from Thor's Day. Thor was a tough guy. Tough like Steve Hutchinson. And Thursday is just four days away from the thoroughly average Minnesota Vikings taking on the flatlining St. Louis Rams.

IS IT MONDAY YET?

Well, when you consider the suck-tastic matchups MNF has had this year (OAK-SEA, GB-PHI, GB-SEA just to name a few), you're going to get a lot of other things going on, because chances are nobody really cares about that matchup.

That being said, I think Tony Kornheiser has to go. I watched the Oakland-Seattle game weeks ago (which is amazing in itself, considering I don't like either team), and it seemed like Tony K. was rooting for the Seahawks to kick more FG's, since Josh Brown was on his fantasy team. WHO CARES WHO IS ON YOUR FANTASY TEAM, TONY?!?!?!

Don't get me wrong, I think he is great on PTI, but a lot of the issues surrounding MNF are because of him. Like the "Tony, Tony, Tony!" email segment. I actually got to hear something about Tomkat, but I really wanted to hear something about Eli's struggles or the amazing Jacksonville D. Instead I got to hear about stuff that has zero to do with football. So, a lot of that is the presence of Kornheiser. I actually think Tirico and Theismann by themselves would make a good booth, though.

But then add to that ESPN's stupid agenda of shamelessly promoting their shows and other non-football celebrities DURING THE GAME ACTION! Just plain stupid if you ask me. Basically ESPN really dropped the ball. I will say this, if Al Michaels hadn't jumped ship to NBC, they'd have one of the best booths (it was originally supposed to be Michaels-Theismann). But with Michaels gone, they made a stupid choice in putting together a booth.

espnsig.gif

O.K....here goes....a little rant....uh.....Sunday football.....Sunday Night Football....Monday Night Football........but wait....there is more.....at no charge we will throw in Thursday Night Football.....and...if you act now you will also recieve Saturday football late in the season!!!!........Its becoming overkill......I get the same sunday regional coverage...... Im sick of Watching The Jets...Giants....Bills....Im tired of the one man celebration.....You sure as hell didnt score alone......Im tired of trying to see the score of my favorite team at the bottom of the screen and having to wait 15 friggin minutes because they feel the need to show player stats and concession stand figures between scores...when you can read or hear about them later in the day.....Maybe If there were only games on Sunday AFTERNOON..........Monday Night Football would be a lillte more special..........But the more televised games....the more money..... B)

Archived