Black

Throwback

The Eagles wore it as did the Jags so is it the new style?

And the Lions alternate too.

I think the Lion's alt would look good paired up with the old blue pants.

I think I just vomited into my mouth a little. Black with silver pants? Okay. With Honolulu Blue? Not so much.

For the record, I also think the Lions' black jersey would look much better with white or silver numbers, but I guess they want to keep as much blue in them as possible.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

And the Lions alternate too.

I think the Lion's alt would look good paired up with the old blue pants.

I think I just vomited into my mouth a little. Black with silver pants? Okay. With Honolulu Blue? Not so much.

For the record, I also think the Lions' black jersey would look much better with white or silver numbers, but I guess they want to keep as much blue in them as possible.

Sorry to make you yak in your mouf.

Someone around here mocked up the Lions black jersey paired up with the blue pants. It looked really good, but hey opinions are just that, opinions.

. . . but hey opinions are just that, opinions.

Exactly. I'm sure there is plenty of stuff that I like that might cause your stomach to churn.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

For what it's worth, in Paul Lukas' latest column, he states that the NBA is disallowing any new black alt jerseys. However, I can't think of any teams with black alt jerseys, so I wonder what the point is.

I guess that means Houston won't be getting that new alt after all.

EDIT: In another thread, I relearned that the T-Wolves and Bulls each have black alts. 1/15 of the league isn't horrible, I don't think. Maybe they should outlaw navy blue and its variants next.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

For what it's worth, in Paul Lukas' latest column, he states that the NBA is disallowing any new black alt jerseys. However, I can't think of any teams with black alt jerseys, so I wonder what the point is.

I guess that means Houston won't be getting that new alt after all.

EDIT: In another thread, I relearned that the T-Wolves and Bulls each have black alts. 1/15 of the league isn't horrible, I don't think. Maybe they should outlaw navy blue and its variants next.

I think the ban on black alts goes back to late 90's (or early 2000's) don't remember which, when in addition to the T-Wolves and Bulls, the Jazz, Hawks, Magic, and Suns had black alts. Not to mention the Knicks, Cavaliers, 76ers, Grizzlies, Wizards, and Raptors who all added black to their color scheme in some way shape or form.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

and now we go to the Scrim Memory Bank, open from 10 to 5 on weekdays, 1 to 2 on saturdays and closed on sunday :P

early 90's: Hawks, after changing from the Dominique-era uniforms, adopt an alternate black jersey in the same design as the red jerseys worn on the road at the time. (this is the forgotten set between the Nique unis and the mid-late 90s set that had the big hawk on the front.) though I figure I could put this in mid 90s, the Suns sneak a little black into their home and away jerseys, later introducing their black alt. the Kings switch from their longstanding blue and red scheme to black, purple and silver; their road uniform at this time is black.

mid 90s...alternates start coming into vogue, and at about the same time we start seeing "fashion jerseys" in stores, schools and streets across the nation. the Pistons change to the much-maligned teal uniforms, which include black sides; the Magic's black jersey, originally the road, was relegated to third before being dropped; the Bulls introduced the first of their alternates, black with red pinstripes; the Kings introduce a split jersey that's about 60% purple and 40% black...it wasn't half, that's for sure; Knicks introduce alternate blue uniform with black sidepanels in 94-95, and this uniform becomes their road uni the next season when a white version is created; Timberwolves introduce new uniforms and colors, which later include a black uniform that's used almost as often as their road blues; Cavs switch to new uniforms, which include black roads with paint-lookin powder blue stripes all over the uniform; Hawks begin wearing the big hawk jerseys, and wear a black/red gradient on the road; the Bullets are renamed the Wizards, and adopt a blue, bronze and black scheme. black is used as an accent color.

late 90s/early 2000s: Sixers introduce primarily black uniforms, as it is then-president Pat Croce's favorite color; Magic drop their black jersey, and have not worn black jerseys in the two ensuing new styles since (though the original blacks did return as throwbacks); Grizzlies introduce black "VANCOUVER" alt, which becomes their road jersey in their final season in Canada, when they make a white version that reads "GRIZZLIES." After moving to Memphis, the Grizzlies replace the lettering on both jerseys with MEMPHIS and stay with the design for about 3 seasons; Jazz introduce black alt with bronze sides, strange as their regular uniforms had no black; Raptors, apparently unable to decide whether to stay with purple or change to black, introduce new uniforms that include a road jersey that's purple on front, and black on back; Knicks change side striping, and add a hint of black trim to the home jersey's new stripe; Kings overhaul their uniforms, and drop black roads in favor of new purples; Cavs drop their black uniforms in favor of a return to their old wine and gold; Suns overhaul their uniforms, and black is only used for the seams of the "rising sun" ball, the new uniform accent color is dark gray; the Sonics' overhaul sneaks a little black trim in; to their fans' relief, the Pistons return to the "Bad Boys" jersey style, dropping black from the uniforms; the Celtics introduce an alternate uniform with black sides and black numbers trimmed in white, with BOSTON on the front; the Charlotte Bobcats enter the league wearing orange, navy, silver and black...orange is the Bobcats' main color; the Jazz drop their "mountains" set, including the black alt, and in a major departure, relegate their traditional purple to off the new threads almost completely. navy and light blue are the Jazz' new uniform colors; the Nuggets introduce a navy alternate, but reportedly only because the league wouldn't let them make it black; the Celtics, Bulls and Knicks wear green "St. Pat's" uniforms in early-mid March 2006, and many a fan clamors for the Celts to make these gold-numbered greenies either their permanent alts or permanenet roads; the Raptors drop their half purple, half black uniforms in favor of red jerseys they'd adopted as thirds a few years earlier; and this year, the Jazz introduce light blue alts (apparently, they are only light blue because of the league's black moratorium) and the Wizards roll out gold jerseys worn with black shorts.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Welcome to six years ago!

No kidding man, it's pretty hard not to notice the black frenzy that's been going on since last decade. Besides the Eagles and Jags, the Ravens and Lions have added black jerseys, and last year they even made those all-black fashion jerseys now for all the other teams that have no black. And even in other sports, look at teams like the Washington Capitals, Philadelphia Flyers, Buffalo Sabres, Utah Jazz, Chicago Bulls, Philadelphia 76ers, New York Mets, Kansas City Royals (until this year thankfully) and Houston Astros; all of whom added black uniforms a long time ago.

If anything, I think this trend is somewhat finally coming to an end. I read a quote from someone on Uni Watch that said the NBA doesn't allow black alternates anymore, probably the reason the Wizards' new duds are half-and-half.

And now we have this new line of "storm" NFL gear, featuring charcoal grey. Personally I think this is some pretty cool lookin stuff, though any time now a team will no doubt take it too far and add dark grey to their scheme.

I mean, really. You can't have it both ways. Both annoying spamming text and a link to your copycat board? That's just not fair.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

and now we go to the Scrim Memory Bank, open from 10 to 5 on weekdays, 1 to 2 on saturdays and closed on sunday :P

early 90's: Hawks, after changing from the Dominique-era uniforms, adopt an alternate black jersey in the same design as the red jerseys worn on the road at the time. (this is the forgotten set between the Nique unis and the mid-late 90s set that had the big hawk on the front.) though I figure I could put this in mid 90s, the Suns sneak a little black into their home and away jerseys, later introducing their black alt. the Kings switch from their longstanding blue and red scheme to black, purple and silver; their road uniform at this time is black.

mid 90s...alternates start coming into vogue, and at about the same time we start seeing "fashion jerseys" in stores, schools and streets across the nation. the Pistons change to the much-maligned teal uniforms, which include black sides; the Magic's black jersey, originally the road, was relegated to third before being dropped; the Bulls introduced the first of their alternates, black with red pinstripes; the Kings introduce a split jersey that's about 60% purple and 40% black...it wasn't half, that's for sure; Knicks introduce alternate blue uniform with black sidepanels in 94-95, and this uniform becomes their road uni the next season when a white version is created; Timberwolves introduce new uniforms and colors, which later include a black uniform that's used almost as often as their road blues; Cavs switch to new uniforms, which include black roads with paint-lookin powder blue stripes all over the uniform; Hawks begin wearing the big hawk jerseys, and wear a black/red gradient on the road; the Bullets are renamed the Wizards, and adopt a blue, bronze and black scheme. black is used as an accent color.

late 90s/early 2000s: Sixers introduce primarily black uniforms, as it is then-president Pat Croce's favorite color; Magic drop their black jersey, and have not worn black jerseys in the two ensuing new styles since (though the original blacks did return as throwbacks); Grizzlies introduce black "VANCOUVER" alt, which becomes their road jersey in their final season in Canada, when they make a white version that reads "GRIZZLIES." After moving to Memphis, the Grizzlies replace the lettering on both jerseys with MEMPHIS and stay with the design for about 3 seasons; Jazz introduce black alt with bronze sides, strange as their regular uniforms had no black; Raptors, apparently unable to decide whether to stay with purple or change to black, introduce new uniforms that include a road jersey that's purple on front, and black on back; Knicks change side striping, and add a hint of black trim to the home jersey's new stripe; Kings overhaul their uniforms, and drop black roads in favor of new purples; Cavs drop their black uniforms in favor of a return to their old wine and gold; Suns overhaul their uniforms, and black is only used for the seams of the "rising sun" ball, the new uniform accent color is dark gray; the Sonics' overhaul sneaks a little black trim in; to their fans' relief, the Pistons return to the "Bad Boys" jersey style, dropping black from the uniforms; the Celtics introduce an alternate uniform with black sides and black numbers trimmed in white, with BOSTON on the front; the Charlotte Bobcats enter the league wearing orange, navy, silver and black...orange is the Bobcats' main color; the Jazz drop their "mountains" set, including the black alt, and in a major departure, relegate their traditional purple to off the new threads almost completely. navy and light blue are the Jazz' new uniform colors; the Nuggets introduce a navy alternate, but reportedly only because the league wouldn't let them make it black; the Celtics, Bulls and Knicks wear green "St. Pat's" uniforms in early-mid March 2006, and many a fan clamors for the Celts to make these gold-numbered greenies either their permanent alts or permanenet roads; the Raptors drop their half purple, half black uniforms in favor of red jerseys they'd adopted as thirds a few years earlier; and this year, the Jazz introduce light blue alts (apparently, they are only light blue because of the league's black moratorium) and the Wizards roll out gold jerseys worn with black shorts.

And to add to that, since somehow your circuit boards seem to have missed this synapse :D :

1993. The Carolina Panthers are born. Colors: BLACK, Ericcson cellphone blue (I don't care what the official color is called; to me it will ALWAYS be E/C blue!). and silver. Following the Panthers are the Jacksonville Jaguars. Colors: teal (reportedly because someone in the Jag braintrust, I believe Weaver himself, said it came from eating panthers--although I fail to see how anything with any inkling of a speck of green can come from a color that has a neon element to it, and no trace of green whatsoever), BLACK, and gold...and originally, silver was to be added, for reasons I have no clue about other than trying to mirror their expansion feline brethren to the north. Fast forward to the year 2003, which I believe was the first year the Jacksonville Jaguars rolled out their all-black alt uniforms, and that season also was the year the teal numbers on their white jerseys ate themselves and became BLACK. Either that year or the year following, the Baltimore Ravens also rolled out some all-black alts (although I guess, in their defense, all-black fits since ravens are black, after all). Believe it or not, I can also remember the Cincinnati Bengals, before the uniform change, roll out an all-black look in either their first or last game of either the 2003 or 2004 season--I'm almost positive it was the '04 season. (I can't find that photo to save my life, though.) And oh, let's not forget the Philadelphia Eagles rolling out a black alt jersey some time ago, not to mention the BIGGEST offender of black-for-black's-sake, the Detroit Lions, who had no black anywhere in their entire existence until the arrival or porbably the most inept GM ever, Raider-nostalgic Matt Millen. (Rumor has it--and I can believe it--that he so beloved his Raiders that he wanted his team to look like them, and since they already had silver, hell--why not just add black to the uniforms...oh and by the way, I can roll out a black alt jersey, too! Nimcumpoop.)

Then, there's also the U. of Louisville Cardinals' all-black set, the two different all-black sets from the University of Nike Guinea Pigs--er, Oregon, and then this year, in a move not even I saw coming, the FSU Seminoles in all-black.

OH--and let's not forget about those MLB squads. I specifically point to four clubs. One of them is the Cincinnati Reds, who added black as a trim and then decided to feature it more so than the red about half the time. Another team is the KC Royals, who at one time had black alt jerseys and alt black caps. The thirs team is the Oakland A's, who at one time THEMSELVES had a black alt jersey, for reason I still fail to understand. But then, no MLB discussion on black would be complete without arguably (in the minds of most) the absolute WORST offender of black-for-black's-sake: the New York Mets. Enough said.

Trend? Try oversaturation.

And don't even get me (or apparently, Scrim) started on the navy revolution/oversaturation, and why three teams in the same league have the exact same colors for the exact same reason--that being "trendy", of course: the Denver Nuggets (because Kiki Vandeweghe so loved his UCLA Bruins that he wanted his Nuggets to look like them, a move heretofore referred as the "Matt Millen Syndrome", although I'm sure he wasn't the first offender of this type of egregious behavior), The Memphis Grizzlies (and I ain't in my life seem a blue bear--but then, I've never seen a blue Lion or a green Eagle, either, so...), and, in the biggest example of trendy-just-to-be-trendy, the Utah Jazz, sans yellow. And in this case, navy AND columbia are the "trendy" colors.

Well, then, if that was the case, I guess seeing the Titans in those columbia pants Sunday wasn't just to be "trendy", now was it? (Even if it was, I don't care: they looked DAMN GOOD IN THEM!)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Welcome to six years ago!

No kidding man, it's pretty hard not to notice the black frenzy that's been going on since last decade. Besides the Eagles and Jags, the Ravens and Lions have added black jerseys, and last year they even made those all-black fashion jerseys now for all the other teams that have no black. And even in other sports, look at teams like the Washington Capitals, Philadelphia Flyers, Buffalo Sabres, Utah Jazz, Chicago Bulls, Philadelphia 76ers, New York Mets, Kansas City Royals (until this year thankfully) and Houston Astros; all of whom added black uniforms a long time ago.

If anything, I think this trend is somewhat finally coming to an end. I read a quote from someone on Uni Watch that said the NBA doesn't allow black alternates anymore, probably the reason the Wizards' new duds are half-and-half.

And now we have this new line of "storm" NFL gear, featuring charcoal grey. Personally I think this is some pretty cool lookin stuff, though any time now a team will no doubt take it too far and add dark grey to their scheme.

Well, at least the Flyers actually have black in their color scheme and logo. And it's the main color in their logo too! How many other non-NHL teams can say that?

And to add to that, since somehow your circuit boards seem to have missed this synapse :D :

1993. The Carolina Panthers are born. Colors: BLACK, Ericcson cellphone blue (I don't care what the official color is called; to me it will ALWAYS be E/C blue!). and silver. Following the Panthers are the Jacksonville Jaguars. Colors: teal (reportedly because someone in the Jag braintrust, I believe Weaver himself, said it came from eating panthers--although I fail to see how anything with any inkling of a speck of green can come from a color that has a neon element to it, and no trace of green whatsoever), BLACK, and gold...and originally, silver was to be added, for reasons I have no clue about other than trying to mirror their expansion feline brethren to the north.

heh, I was focusing on the NBA there, and I did forget a little something: the green alts the Bucks wore in the late 90s, with the buck on the front and the gradient Bucks wordmark, had a little black on the collars and cuffs, and a :censored:load of their warmup gear, practice ish and other crap they sold in the last couple years was black, disregardin the fact that the homes and aways aint had a damn speck of black on em.

Goin a little downwards, I figure some high school teams are more susceptible to adding black where it don't need to be than others...the farthest our football team went was adopting black facemasks and wearing black socks at home, but I recall one year our softball team changed to all black uniforms...and they were made worse with the script's underscore reading "SOFTBALL." Don't get me started on THAT...damn, if I'm at the game, I know you're f'in playin softball, I don't need you to have it on the uniform, that's an insult to my intelligence. Underscores with the city name (or, if the script is the city, the team name), I can get behind, but you don't see basketball teams with a small "BASKETBALL" under the school name, and baseball teams don't do that crap either.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

If memory serves this was one of the first of these "transitions" :

sb_bio.jpg+ jerryglanville.jpg = 024-00034fl.jpg

By jove I think he's got it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Nah, black usually does look better. The only problem is that it gets a little ridiculous when all teams look the same or use too many similar elements. If you ask me, the best color scheme possible is black, red and a little silver/grey or gold/yellow. But I would never want more than a couple of teams in any given league to use the scheme.

And weren't the (North) Stars the first to go black?

Archived