Morneau wins AL MVP

officeglenn

Apparently Morneau beat Jeter out by three first-place votes...the only other first-place vote went to Johan Santana. I find it ridiculous that David Ortiz didn't get one first-place vote, but that's the voting committee for ya.

Ortiz was always going to have the "he's only a DH, he doesn't play defence" thing hanging over his head. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it; I'm just saying that's probably why.

Apparently Morneau beat Jeter out by three first-place votes...the only other first-place vote went to Johan Santana. I find it ridiculous that David Ortiz didn't get one first-place vote, but that's the voting committee for ya.

How valuable are you when your team finishes in 3rd place 9 games out of the playoffs? It's the most valuable player not best slugger. There is more to playing baseball than hitting home runs.

I think Jeter should have won because he carried the team through the middle part of the season when they had a ton of injuries and had a suspect pitching rotation. That said I have no problem Morneau winning it.

I think Jeter should have won because he carried the team through the middle part of the season when they had a ton of injuries and had a suspect pitching rotation.

A ton of injuries for the Yankees doesn't exactly equate to the same as other teams... the Yankees still had a very talented roster even with all their injuries.

And let's not forget they added Abreu, Lidle and Wilson mid-season.

Wow! Wow! And wow again!

As a Twins fan I'm beyond elated. As a baseball fan, I think it's wonderful for the underdog to beat the bigger names. As a guy who happens to like Derek Jeter, I think it's too bad Jeter didn't get the award, but the previous two comments are trump cards over this.

I am curious, though, just how and where Morneau got the voting considering Santana was also a viable candidate.

How valuable are you when your team finishes in 3rd place 9 games out of the playoffs? It's the most valuable player not best slugger. There is more to playing baseball than hitting home runs.

By your logic, a pitcher can never win MVP because he only pitches once out of every 5 games. How could Joe Girardi be Manager of the Year? The Marlins didn't make the playoffs.

Ortiz's clutch hitting (not just home runs) was the reason the Sox won many of those games. At least 10-15 games were won through his batting. The same games won with an injury-depleted pitching staff of AAA cast-offs and a very shaky bullpen in the second half of the season.

Jeter had a stronger lineup around him than Ortiz. I think the Yankees would have won more games without him in the lineup than the Red Sox would have won without Ortiz.

And I think Morneau is a good choice for MVP.

Ryan Howard won didn't he?

Ryan Howard is David Ortiz without clutch hits. And oh yeah, because of the league Howard is forced to play a below average first base.

Oh well, I'm gonna go away now because I'm biased.

Ryan Howard won didn't he?

Ryan Howard is David Ortiz without clutch hits. And oh yeah, because of the league Howard is forced to play a below average first base.

Oh well, I'm gonna go away now because I'm biased.

Well there is a key difference between Ortiz and Howard. Howard had his team in the playoff race up until the final week and it was because of him his team made the push after the GM pretty much gave up on the season at the trade deadline. The Red Sox were out of the race at the begining of September.

The awards were messed up more than usual this year...

I'd say out of all the gold gloves (each position counted once), Cy Youngs, and MVPs...Maybe 10-15 of the winners made sense. Everything else, they might have been deserving, but there were more deserving players.

Only one that completely went right in my eyes...Manager of the Year.

It's easier to pump up your stats when your team doesn't have anything to play for. You're not playing to win at that point. You can go for a meaningless hit instead of a sac fly. You don't have to try to stretch a hit and get thrown out over a sure thing. You can swing for the fences and chance killing a rally.

I seem to recall A-Rod winning MVP (and coming in second another year) while playing for Texas when they were in the cellar. If you're arguing that Ortiz doesn't deserve to win simply because his team failed, then I guess other MVP recipients were equally if not more unworthy because their teams weren't championship caliber too.

Morneau is definately deserving of the award. Congratulations to him. It looks like the Twins are essentiallly the organization of the year. (MVP, Cy Young, and Exec of the Year). Impressive.

I'd have taken a World Series trophy over all of those. Nontheless, I'm incredibly elated at the success of this team. Morneau was a dog last year, beaten down by his own lack of confidence. I could see early in the World Baseball Classic, while playing for Canada, that he was bound for a great season. I just never imagined it would be an MVP season.

This is great for the Twins franchise. Let's hope they can find some starting pitching depth, which is what they really need.

Archived