from the Hawaiian islands to the (snowcapped) mountains of Alaska

tBBP

First off, Happy Thanksgiving fellow community members!

With this post, I have reached a milestone: my TWENTIETH post in this series!!! (Does that like put me in the running for like "longest-running series" or something like that, right up there with the49erfan's concept series of colleges without football teams???)

So, that said, here's the first NINETEEN concepts in this remowned series of mine:

American Airlines

United Airlines

Northwest Airlines

US Airways

Delta Air Lines

Southwest Airlines

Midwest Airlines

Continental Airlines

AirTran Airways

America West Airlines

Song

Air Canada

JetBlue Airways

Independence Air

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

British Airways

Air France

Lufthansa

Hawaiian Airlines

And so now...we scurry on up into the Pacific Northwest, to complete a concept set for the airline named for the other Pacific "loner" state, although the airline itself isn't based there.

The quick history:

Alaska Airlines is the conglomeration of four smaller airlines--or rather I should say, the coming-together of four pioneers who all worked together to make Alaska Airlines what it is today. Those four pioneers? Mac McGee, Shell Simmons, Bob Ellis, and some cat named "Mudhole" Smith. McGee is the one who started it all, back in 1932, when he started flying his lil' plane between Anchorage and Bristol Bay, in Alaska. He merged his operations with Star Air Services in 1934, and a few years later the name Alaska Airlines was born. Fast-forward to the '60s. This was the time when Alaska Airlines (which at this time was still a regional carrier), joined forces with Cordova Airlines and Alaska Coastal-Ellis, two carriers operated by the other three pioneers in Alaska Airlines' history, Ellis, Simmons, and Smith. Together they all became a newer Alaska Airlines, and as such, their network grew, and now reached southward into Seattle--a key move, as some time later, Seattle would become (it still is) the base of operations for Alaska Airlines, hence my earlier riddle.

Okay, now on to the concept...

For this concept set, I went rather traditional--actually, very traditional, with this design. For me, it really just worked better than trying to follow the airline's current livery to the letter. However, speaking of that, Alaska Airlines has two different ones currently in use. This design is their "primary" look; there's also a special promotional scheme the airline uses, seen here. Nice colors, eh? Anyway, the home shirts are dark blue, the pants white, and the socks dark blue, with striping to match the livery and white domes with the Inuit logo. The roads, save for the helmet, are the reverse: white jersey, blue pants, and white socks. (The interchanging pants are also a nod to the two liveries.) The numbers are of the traditional block format: white w/sea green trim on the homes; dark blue with same trim on roads. For my third outfit, I reached back into the decade of "THE" merger--the one I mentioned earlier when all four pioneers came together. Back then, this was the look of Alaska. Here's another view. Pay speacial attention to that tail logo. It's a nod to the fact that at that time (and even to this day), the mountains and creeks of Alaska were quite rich in gold deposits. (As an aside, Alaskan traders and jewelers also have some of the finest golden nugget jewelry one can find, something I got to see with my own two eyes during a trip I took to Alaska two summers ago.) That tail logo made it onto the white shells of the 3rd/alt, and the uniform itself, predictably, is white top/white bottom. The side stripe mimics that (if you want to even call it a "stripe") of the "Golden Nugget Jet", and that "stripe" conctinues up the side panels of the jersey. The numbers and name font are the closest match I could find to the "Alaska" titles you see on the jet.

Okay, so with all that said, here it is...Alaska Airlines!!!

C&C greatly appreciated...and hope you all stuffed yourselves well!!!

AFLAlaskaAirlines.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I've enjoyed these.

Not all are my taste, mostly because of the colours which you have no choice over.

But overall, a splendid project.

I have a small request.

54qantas.jpg

I wanna fly QANTAS, QANTAS never crashed.

I'll look into that. May not be up anytime soon, but I will keep it on the radar.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

With this post, I have reached a milestone: my TWENTIETH post in this series!!! (Does that like put me in the running for like "longest-running series" or something like that, right up there with the49erfan's concept series of colleges without football teams???)

not a bad streak, you in the running, but not quite the longest yet...lucky for you, there are more airlines than there are NFL teams ;)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

i feel weird giving a critique on such a great concept.. but.

just for fun.. on the back fin.. wing thing (im no plane expert) where the Eskimo Head is.. see how it its just the head... maybe implement that into your helmet, like make it start from the back and come towards the front.

i know i did a terrible job of explaining that, but maybe you'll get what im saying.

just for fun.. on the back fin.. wing thing (im no plane expert) where the Eskimo Head is.. see how it its just the head... maybe implement that into your helmet, like make it start from the back and come towards the front.

i know i did a terrible job of explaining that, but maybe you'll get what im saying.

I did think of that...even tried it on one draft...the issue with that is that it looked like it bled over the whole side of the helmet. That kinda thing is cool for, say, my BA helmet design, but for this one it just didn't seem to work.

I will say this, though: I really like Alaska's color scheme. And on my concept it just says "cool ice" to me.

But...maybe that's just me...I don't know.

I think that it would be a little better if just the Inuit head was used on the helmet instead of the head and upper body, and maybe have the workmark written across the center of the sleeve striping.

VmWIn6B.png

I did think of that...even tried it on one draft...the issue with that is that it looked like it bled over the whole side of the helmet. That kinda thing is cool for, say, my BA helmet design, but for this one it just didn't seem to work.

I will say this, though: I really like Alaska's color scheme. And on my concept it just says "cool ice" to me.

But...maybe that's just me...I don't know.

That was my first thought too, that the Eskimo head needed to be used the way you did BA's helmets. Since that didn't work, IMHO it would look better to use the "Alaska" wordmark as it appears on their planes (i.e. no "Airlines," just "Alaska") as the helmet logo and the Eskimo as a sleeve logo.

To the QANTAS fan, you don't have to go all the way to Australia. Southwest hasn't crashed either, though they have had a fatal accident (the Midway Airport runway overrun, which killed a child in a vehicle the aircraft struck).

P.S. to Bucco, the throwbacks are very nice.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Don't forget to do Hooters Air...!!! (bow)

You're about four days late to the party...

Archived