NBA Christmas Game

Epiphanic

Today I saw a commercial for the Christmas Day NBA game. Lakers-Heat. What? Again? Isn't this the third year in a row with these teams? Why? If it's going to be some sort of tradition pseudo-similar to the Lions or Dallas playing on Thanksgiving every year, fine. To me it's just the NBA trying to milk the Kobe-Shaq element as much as possible. Mix it up a bit please!

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

You know how the NBA promoes: Never team vs. team. Player vs. player promotions are much much much much much much much much MUCH more interesting to the common fan. Who in the hell would want to see Spurs vs. Mavericks, a rematch of the barnburner from last year's "shoulda been" WC Finals, when we can see Shaq vs. Kobe, a rivalry that died down 2 years ago. Captivating TV, I say.

This isn't exactly breaking news, but I agree. This is the 3rd year in a row these teams are playing eachother on Christmas. Let them have the day off for once. Let them spend time with their families and loved ones. It was a sexy match-up the first year. Last year it was also something to look forward to seeing how it was in Miami. They've had it on both courts, back to back years. You'd figure they'd go in a different direction this year but I guess they're that desperate for ratings.

Oh, by the way. Shaq is likely out for the game. That bit you on the ass, didn't it ABC? ESPN? Mickey Mouse? Go a different direction next year. There are 28 other teams in the league.

From a potential marketing standpoint the X-mas game for the NBA could be useful. They could use it to "unveil" up-and-coming players/teams. The Clippers for example have been good for a little while. Perhaps give them some exposure. That probably won't happen because other teams don't have the "market" (real or perceived) that the Lakers or such have. Just a thought for the NBA to ignore.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Let's just admit it... this has turned into a full-fledged rivalry. Besides, I'm sure that having this game once a year under such a huge amount of media coverage is 1000 times better than all the Yankees-Red Sox coverage that they end up giving to more than 12 games a year, plus playoffs.

VmWIn6B.png

I'm surprised the NBA isn't pushing a LeBron game. Cavs vs. Heat would draw just as much, if not more interest.

They did in his rookie year, however it was against the Magic.

Right, but if I recall correctly, that game wasn't on ABC, but TNT. The ABC game is the big game (as much as NBA on Christmas post-Jordan is a big deal) and LeBron seems the natural choice.

Personally, I'd love to see Wizards/Cavs part million instead of the Heat/Lakers retread. Or even Spurs/Mavs. Or for that matter, Nuggets, Jazz, Clippers or any other team that doesn't get its fair due.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived