Is Michael Irvin a racist?

gueman

This is from Ray Frager's column in the Baltimore Sun. I can't believe it hasn't made it on here yet.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp....orts-columnists

"• Maybe no one takes seriously anything Michael Irvin says. Or maybe hardly anyone listens to Dan Patrick's ESPN Radio show. In any case, this story has gotten little mention outside of a brief newspaper item and a few Web sites.

On Monday, while discussing Dallas quarterback Tony Romo's athleticism, Irvin, who is black, offered the explanation that Romo, who is white, might have had some African-American ancestry.

According to ProFoot- ballTalk.com, here is some of what Irvin said, though he was laughing through it: "He doesn't look like he's that type of an athlete. But he is. He is, man. I don't know ... some brother down in that line somewhere ... if great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandma pulled one of them studs up out of the barn [and said], 'Come on in here for a second.'"

Michael Irvin, heir to Jimmy the Greek."

Gloria Allred you have a new client in Mr. Romo

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was laughing through it. Do you really think he was being "for serious"?

He was laughing. So what? It was still stupid. Race coming up in a conversation where it has no place is a sign of at least some very mild form of racism, if not the malicious, hateful kind. Yeah...only black people can run or dance. That's not antiquated thinking or divisive in any way.

I'm finding it very hard to get worked up over this. Sorry.

He said something stupid. I doubt he hates all white people.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm finding it very hard to get worked up over this. Sorry.

He said something stupid. I doubt he hates all white people.

Yet if a white commentator said the exact same thing, in the exact same context and tone, there'd be calls for his head on a platter.

Sorry, but if you're going to be consistent, Irvin needs to be terminated. You can't have it both ways.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I actually find that kind of funny. Tony Romo sounds like an Italian name (I may be wrong though). I'm part Italian and I hear that we are part black all the time. I'm not sure where that comes from but I hear it alot.

His full name is Antonio Ramiro Romo and his family is from Mexico.

newsig.jpg

Jimmy the Greek may have been fired over his comments but I think it was just the reason CBS wanted a reason to fire him for years and he gave it to them.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

irvin's comment doesn't bother me. With that said, people have been fired and nailed to the cross(figuratively) for similar comments.

I personally wish we could get past wringing our hands over comments that might be racist or have a hint of racism. we as a society need to get grow a pair of balls and stop worrying about racist, sexist and homophobic comments. Granted i don't want to see malicious and hatefull comments but comments like Irvin's or anyothers are just petty distractions.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

The point of this post was a simple one of double standards. And it proves my point about the double standard of how the media responds racial remarks. In the same week you have a second rate TV actor who goes off when he was heckled and it is all over the media for a week (or more), and a HoF Football player and a ok TV commentator who implies that a white athlete must have a little black in him to be good and it isn't even news. Imagine if Sean Hannity said that Barack Obama is only smart because he has some white in him, or Katie Couric said that Dr. Condoleezza Rice must have some white in her to be Secretary of State. The media often overlooks black on white racism. Why? Even the comments posted were quite telling. The same folks who implied Michael Richards was the Grand Dragon of the KKK, also found nothing wrong with Michael Irvin's remarks.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived