Is Michael Irvin a racist?

gueman

What Rush said was stupid and had racist undertones. There is no media conspiracy to push black quarterbacks. Rush was pushing his own agenda and I'm glad he was taken to task and then fired.

What Irvin said was stupid and had stupid undertones. There's no comparison between the two.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What Rush said was stupid and had racist undertones. There is no media conspiracy to push black quarterbacks. Rush was pushing his own agenda and I'm glad he was taken to task and then fired.

What Irvin said was stupid and had stupid undertones. There's no comparison between the two.

i agree that it was stupid and it may have racist undertones but it wasn't hatefull and malicious. I actually don't think he should have been fired for the comments per se, but fired for being a moron as an analyst. I really don't know if he was pushing an agenda no more than most liberals that are in the media. Rush/Irvin is an apt comparison is because they both made comments that are stupid and had racial undertone. The reason Rush got ran through the coals because it was an opportunity to burn a conservative(if you even could call him that and don't like putting that label on him) at the cross. We know that if a liberal said the same thing it would be dismissed.

i personally don't want to turn this in to a left/right issue. THe core issue at the bottom of this is the Freedom of Speech issue. THats what I really want to discuss, not a stupid analysis/joke with racial overtones. What i want to get in to is the limitations of freedom of speech, what is freedom of speech and how much has been eroded through cowardess.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

however i would like to compare it to Rush calling McNabb overrated and getting attention because of obvious reasons. While not hateful and malicious, it was just a stupid analysis. Samething with Irvin, not hateful but just an unfunny joke. Comments either made by RUsh or Irvin are just fuel for people who want to make much ado about nothing. In fact we shouldn't even be having this discussion. Just the mere fact that we are discussing somethign as trivial as someones words just shows how weak our society has become. WE have more important issues goign on in the world than worrying about trivial bs like unfunny racial jokes and bad analysis.

I know what you're getting at, but you got the Rush/McNabb thing all wrong.

He got the Rush/McNabb situation pretty much dead on.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Rush never said that McNabb was overrated because of his skin color. And looking back at those Eagles teams, they did have a pretty good defense. The only stupid thing was saying that he was overrated in general, since we all know it takes a pretty darn good QB to get his team to the conference championship game (then) three seasons in a row.

Rush didn't say that McNabb got his job because he's black or gets preferential treatment because he's black or questioned his athletic abilities and leadership skills because he's black. All Rush said was that the media (not Rush himself) has been wanting a black QB to succeed. Perhaps Rush was saying McNabb shouldn't deserve the "great QB" title, much like other people say certain athletes aren't "great" because they hadn't won their sport's top prize, we'll never know.

What Rush said wasn't racist, what Irvin said wasn't racist, but both were just dumb remarks that probably should have been unsaid, regardless of if you're chuckling while you deliver the quote....

Archived