Sign in to follow this  
oldschoolvikings

Cincinnati Enquirer article

I was visiting family in Cincinnati Friday (Nov. 24), and read an interesting article in the Enquirer. It was about the Bengal's equipment manager, and how the uniform combos are chosen. When asked if there was anything about the uniform the players all agreed on, he said it was a general hatred of the orange sox. So, I guess we have the players to blame for the leotard look that's taking over the NFL. Look, I wouldn't ask my plumber for tax advice, and I wouldn't ask my lawyer how to bake a pie. Why is anybody asking ther players for design advice? Look at Oregon... today's player obviously has absolutley NO idea what looks good.

Can anybody find and post that article?

Leotard look?!! Well football has changed since the 1970's and 80's and uniforms have changed as well. The plain fact is, monochrome is fashionable, sleeker, and intimidating. Having a bunch of flaming and flamboyant colors showing up everywhere is not modern. Monochrome, like all black is. I played football for years and the common trend that we players always wanted were monochrome jerseys. I personally like many combinations, but nothing is better than an all black uniform (including socks). I can digest the white bottoms of socks, but I think it is still rediculous. Just have plain colored socks. Stripes on socks belong on uniforms that predate the 80's, otherwise have plain colored or white socks. The Bengals players do have fashion sense when it comes to uniforms. Players have worn uniforms all their football lives. I think they know what looks good. You wouldn't go wear the same outfit you wore in 1979, so why whould they. Maybe people need to be less dogmatic in viewing trends, and update their fashion sense.

The players are the ones that have to wear them...they should have some say in it.

I agree that the monocrome look is fine, when used in moderation. My High School had maroon tops, white tops, maroon bottoms and white bottoms. We'd normally wear maroon/white every week. But for the special games against our rivals or a big playoff game, we'd go maroon/maroon (at home) or white/white (away)

It was just something special.

I was visiting family in Cincinnati Friday (Nov. 24), and read an interesting article in the Enquirer. It was about the Bengal's equipment manager, and how the uniform combos are chosen. When asked if there was anything about the uniform the players all agreed on, he said it was a general hatred of the orange sox. So, I guess we have the players to blame for the leotard look that's taking over the NFL. Look, I wouldn't ask my plumber for tax advice, and I wouldn't ask my lawyer how to bake a pie. Why is anybody asking ther players for design advice? Look at Oregon... today's player obviously has absolutley NO idea what looks good.

Can anybody find and post that article?

Google is a wonderful thing.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../611240348/1066

(it took 19 seconds to find :D )

Good article, OSV

It's funny how on one end you have the "modern" people who want the leotard/monochrome look and the other ones who want the hot mess like the Browns wore today or the Chargers wear occasionally. Me, personally, I think the pants/socks shouldn't be leotard and the monochrome should only be a game or two, but I'd take the newer looks over these dated uniforms.

This quote about the Bengals helmet stripes caught my attention:

"People always ask me about the helmets, 'Are the (black) stripes stickers?' " Recker said. "They used to be, back in Tom's day. He had to put new stickers on all the time to make (helmets) look good.

"My first year, we did that. I said, 'This has got to stop.' Now I have a form, and our helmet company, Riddell, they actually paint our helmets."

I was unaware that any NFL team had their logos painted on. This is interesting, given that we discussed (and someone posted pictures) of the discrepancies in how the tiger stripes are aligned on various players' helmets. I had assumed that they were stickers and that the equipment guys lined them up that way to avoid covering any airholes, but if they're painted, why would Riddell not paint them all the same way?

It's also interesting to note that the Bengals are 5-0 in the orange jerseys. Unless the Raiders pull a major upset in a couple of weeks in Cincinnati, they'll be 6-0 in the first three seasons of use. I wish they'd make orange over white their primary uniform, because it's the best-looking set they wear, by far. But the orange over black is absolutely hideous, rivaling the awful-looking stuff the Bills wear.

Leotard look?!! Well football has changed since the 1970's and 80's and uniforms have changed as well. The plain fact is, monochrome is fashionable, sleeker, and intimidating. Having a bunch of flaming and flamboyant colors showing up everywhere is not modern. Monochrome, like all black is. I played football for years and the common trend that we players always wanted were monochrome jerseys. I personally like many combinations, but nothing is better than an all black uniform (including socks). I can digest the white bottoms of socks, but I think it is still rediculous. Just have plain colored socks. Stripes on socks belong on uniforms that predate the 80's, otherwise have plain colored or white socks. The Bengals players do have fashion sense when it comes to uniforms. Players have worn uniforms all their football lives. I think they know what looks good. You wouldn't go wear the same outfit you wore in 1979, so why whould they. Maybe people need to be less dogmatic in viewing trends, and update their fashion sense.

Wearing a spandex leotard is more intimidating? :D

The players are the ones that have to wear them...they should have some say in it.

I agree that the monocrome look is fine, when used in moderation. My High School had maroon tops, white tops, maroon bottoms and white bottoms. We'd normally wear maroon/white every week. But for the special games against our rivals or a big playoff game, we'd go maroon/maroon (at home) or white/white (away)

It was just something special.

Frankly, all the player needs to worry about is when his next oversized paycheck rolls in. They should have absolutely NO say in the aesthetics of it all. Besides, most of them aren't rhodes scholars to begin with.

Hmmmm... so you're saying the Bengal's uniform is "sleek" and "intimidating"? And that they don't have "flamboyant colors showing up everywhere"? Hilarious. Have you actually seen the Bengals unform? That thing has so many stripes and logos and junk plastered all over it, a waitress at applebee's would be embarassed to wear it.

This quote about the Bengals helmet stripes caught my attention:

"People always ask me about the helmets, 'Are the (black) stripes stickers?' " Recker said. "They used to be, back in Tom's day. He had to put new stickers on all the time to make (helmets) look good.

"My first year, we did that. I said, 'This has got to stop.' Now I have a form, and our helmet company, Riddell, they actually paint our helmets."

I was unaware that any NFL team had their logos painted on. This is interesting, given that we discussed (and someone posted pictures) of the discrepancies in how the tiger stripes are aligned on various players' helmets. I had assumed that they were stickers and that the equipment guys lined them up that way to avoid covering any airholes, but if they're painted, why would Riddell not paint them all the same way?

Probably because the shells have very different shapes. Even though Riddell is evidently the Bengals helmet reconditioning company, they have to paint not only the two Riddell shells but the two Schutt shells and the Adams shell - assuming any Bengal player is wearing the Adams or the Schutt DNA helmet as I haven't seen anything but Riddell VSR-4s (the good old "Tru-Kurve" shell), Riddell Revolution, and standard Schutt Pro Air II/Air Advantage helmets.

The players where the stripes are really compressed are primarily Schutt wearers, like Palmer and (at least part of the time) Chad Johnson. And I noticed that Chad Johnson was back to wearing a Riddell Revolution helmet yesterday after wearing a Schutt against the Saints.

The plain fact is, monochrome is fashionable, sleeker, and intimidating.

That is an OPINION, not a fact.

The Bengals players do have fashion sense when it comes to uniforms.

Really? Is that why the Bengals uniforms have been voted among the NFL's worst by publications and fans repeatedly since 2004?

You are right about all-black looking intimidating. The guy on the left side of this image was pretty good at intimidation:

488px-Die_Uniformen_der_Allgemeinen_SS.jpg