Accent marks on the back of jerseys

sc49erfan15

I caught a glimpse of the Pittsburgh-Louisville game at work, and saw a Pittsburgh player named Peña who had his last name on the back of his jersey, complete with tilde. The N was slightly shrunk so that the Ñ wasn't any taller than the rest of the letters, but it got me thinking...

Why don't more teams use accent marks on their jerseys? "Pena" and "Peña", as well as other accented names/letters/words, are pronounced very differently...and with the influx of European and international players into not only the NBA, as well as other sports...why isn't this done more? I think it would look a lot better, not to mention being phonogically correct. Honestly, how cool would Türkoğlu, Stojaković, Ha?ek, Dvořák, etc look on the back of a jersey?

I'd imagine there aren't many examples of this, but if anyone knows of pics of accented nameplates, I'd like to see them.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I caught a glimpse of the Pittsburgh-Louisville game at work, and saw a Pittsburgh player named Peña who had his last name on the back of his jersey, complete with tilde. The N was slightly shrunk so that the Ñ wasn't any taller than the rest of the letters, but it got me thinking...

Why don't more teams use accent marks on their jerseys? "Pena" and "Peña", as well as other accented names/letters/words, are pronounced very differently...and with the influx of European and international players into not only the NBA, as well as other sports...why isn't this done more? I think it would look a lot better, not to mention being phonogically correct. Honestly, how cool would Türkoğlu, Stojaković, Ha?ek, Dvořák, etc look on the back of a jersey?

I'd imagine there aren't many examples of this, but if anyone knows of pics of accented nameplates, I'd like to see them.

It's a bit hard to tell in the pic below, but when Fredrik Jönzén (pronounced Yon-zee-un) played for Oklahoma State a few years ago, his name on the back of his jersey had the proper accent marks.

fred.jpg

I remember Fernando Vina had a tilde over his N with the Brewers, though I don't recall whether or not he had it with the Tigers or Cardinals. I'm positive Ronny Cedeno also has a tilde on his road jerseys. I don't recall any of baseball's Martinezes and Ramirezes (among other surnames) having accent marks over their I's, though.

I'm wondering, though...anybody know if Ronaldinho has a tilde on either his Barca or Brazil shirts? Cus I know Portugese uses tildes like Spanish does, and what's more international than soccer?

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I remember Fernando Vina had a tilde over his N with the Brewers, though I don't recall whether or not he had it with the Tigers or Cardinals. I'm positive Ronny Cedeno also has a tilde on his road jerseys. I don't recall any of baseball's Martinezes and Ramirezes (among other surnames) having accent marks over their I's, though.

I'm wondering, though...anybody know if Ronaldinho has a tilde on either his Barca or Brazil shirts? Cus I know Portugese uses tildes like Spanish does, and what's more international than soccer?

Accent marks are extremely rare in Martinezeseseses and Ramirezeseses. I've only seem them maybe three or four times; and I live in Miami.

1997 | 2003

While they look cool, the reson you probably don't see more of them is that it's just more work for the people who stitch the names on the jerseys, and it just makes it harder for uni-lingual english people to pronounce. They're more comfortable reading names without accents, then trying to figure out how to pronounce a ame with one.

While they look cool, the reson you probably don't see more of them is that it's just more work for the people who stitch the names on the jerseys, and it just makes it harder for uni-lingual english people to pronounce. They're more comfortable reading names without accents, then trying to figure out how to pronounce a ame with one.

Who cares how much work the people who stitch the names on the jerseys have to do? Isn't that thier job?

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

Who cares how much work the people who stitch the names on the jerseys have to do? Isn't that thier job?

That's what I think, but you never know what owners/GMs will try these days to save a few bucks. <_<

Archived