Matt Millen to be out by next year

Bleujayone

Call me pessimistic, or an honest Lions fan (whichever works :D ), but I'll believe it when I see it. We're talking about the Detroit Lions here, and common sense and logic is thrown out the window with this franchise. The Fords have zero interest in having a winning NFL team. If they did want a winner, don't you think it would have happened sometime during their 40+ year ownership? :blink:

Detroit Lions Playoff history of the last 10+ years for the honest Lions fan

1991: Divisional, Conference

1993: Wildcard

1994: Wildcard

1995: Wildcard

1997: Wildcard

1999: Wildcard

The past 6 years have been brutal haven't they?

so brutal that people forget about the success the lions have had in the past. you'd think they'd never made the playoffs before.

Barry Sanders is the reason why that happened. But yeah, it's basically supreme mediocrity, because they got to the Conference 'ship once, and every other appearance was a wildcard one and done. So yeah, I wouldn't go saying that they're losers, but I wouldn't go saying that they're perennial winners as well. I'd say they're in the middle of the pack, history wise.

But, of course, if they still had Barry for a few more years, they would've eventually gotten enough people around him so tha tthey would have a chance to be successful, and ultimately never have the conundrum that was Matt Millen. But yeah, I'm sure everyone in 8-Mile land is happy that the man who supposedly ran that franchise into the ground is gone. I don't think that a president is responsible for the complete destruction of a team, (I'd say it's the players), but meh. He took credit for it, he'll take the fall as well.

so brutal that people forget about the success the lions have had in the past. you'd think they'd never made the playoffs before.

Yep, 1 playoff win in 48 years is something I'd be proud if I was a Lions fan!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

i admit that the word "success" was a bit of an over-statement and i agree that barry sanders WAS the whole of the detroit lions until he retired.

i was simply saying that its not like the team has never had a winning season, and has never once been a playoff contender like a lot of these posts are making it seem.

there are teams that were, at one time, worse off than the lions and the fan in me won't let people overlook that no matter how horrid their team becomes.

Call me pessimistic, or an honest Lions fan (whichever works ), but I'll believe it when I see it. We're talking about the Detroit Lions here, and common sense and logic is thrown out the window with this franchise. The Fords have zero interest in having a winning NFL team. If they did want a winner, don't you think it would have happened sometime during their 40+ year ownership? :blink:

Barry Sanders is the reason why that happened.

Don't forget "The Big Buck", Wayne Fontes. ;)

Fontes11597.jpg

:D

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Maybe Fontes was a good coach after all

For them, he was.

Now I'm not the quintessential Detroit Lions fan here (Shumway, I'm lookin at you here ;) ), but I do have a pretty good memory.

And I seem to remember these guys had a lil' bit to do with a lil' bit of the Lions' "success":

moore_notes.jpg

porcher_121601.jpg

2002combine_Steven_Boyd.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Herman Moore!!! Wow, haven't seen that guy in a while. He used to be one of my favorite receivers, I can't believe I forgot about him.

Figured I'd jog somebody's memory banks with my post...

...And I specifically induded THAT PARTICULAR image of Stephen Boyd (what's he up to these days?) BECAUSE OF the Honolulu Blue pants and "silver" socks. (For what it's worth, I also have a smaller image of Herman Moore in the blue pants/"silver" socks, too.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Call me pessimistic, or an honest Lions fan (whichever works :D ), but I'll believe it when I see it. We're talking about the Detroit Lions here, and common sense and logic is thrown out the window with this franchise. The Fords have zero interest in having a winning NFL team. If they did want a winner, don't you think it would have happened sometime during their 40+ year ownership? :blink:

And what have the Lions DONE in those playoff games? I'll even be fair and go all the way back to 1970, when the merger took place.

Let's see if you consider this "successful". I don't.

1999 Wildcard, spanked 27-13 by Washington. Not a success.

1997 Wildcard, doubled up by Tampa Bay 20-10, Tampa's first playoff win in years incidentally, not a success

1995 Wildcard, Eagles 58, Lions 37. Yeah, that was a success.

1994 Wildcard, Packers 16, Lions 12, Sanders rushed for negative yards, is that a success? I think not.

1993 Wildcard, Packers 28, Lions 24, a home game for Detroit no less, not a success.

1991 Divisional, Lions 38, Cowboys 6. Well, that's one anyway...

1991 Conference, Redskins 41, Lions 10 - Smoked, not a success. First and only NFC title game for Detroit

1983 Divisional, 49ers 24, Lions 23, only lost by 1 point this time at least, not 30.

1982 First Round - Skins 31, Lions 7 - Destroyed by Washington, another failure

1970 Divisional, Cowboys 5, Lions 0 - Shut out, another failure.

So you define "success" as a team who has gone 1-9 in their last 10 playoff games?

You define "success" as scoring 174 while giving up 256?

Of these 10 post-season games, only 2 were in Detroit. If your team isn't good enough, you won't get home field advantage, and let's face facts, the Lions simply are not good enough.

They have a losing culture in Detroit. The faces, the uniforms, the players, coaches all have changed, but the outcome is always the same. Detroit should never be allowed to host a Super Bowl, nor should they be allowed to be on Thanksgiving Day every year. Traditions, like records and hearts, are made to be broken. Indoor football is not traditional. Alternate uniforms are not traditional, yet the "traditional" Lions have both.

They and the St. Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals are the laughing stock of the NFL. Rather than worry about minority hirings, or getting a team back in LA, the league needs to step up and get these 2 franchises, which are 2 of the oldest in the league, back on track. 50 plus years of losing is unacceptable. I mean even the SAINTS have made SOME strides and won SOME division titles and hosted more than 2 playoff games in the past 40 years! Even EXPANSION Carolina & Jacksonville were able to advance to the COnference title games in just their SECOND YEAR!!!! It's Ricola Ridiculous!!!!

Making the playoffs is not success, WINNING in the playoffs is!

It's Ricola Ridiculous!!!!

[Colin Cowherd]Don't steal my material, you mouth breather.[/Colin Cowherd]

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Maybe Fontes was a good coach after all

For them, he was.

Now I'm not the quintessential Detroit Lions fan here (Shumway, I'm lookin at you here ;) ), but I do have a pretty good memory.

And I seem to remember these guys had a lil' bit to do with a lil' bit of the Lions' "success":

moore_notes.jpg

porcher_121601.jpg

2002combine_Steven_Boyd.jpg

Most definitely. I'd throw other guys, such as Johnnie Morton, Bennie Blades, Chris Spielman, and Luther Elliss(among others) in there as well. Boyd was a great player, but he left so soon. I alwasy liked guys liek Tracy Scroggins and Mark Carrier as well, but they probably don't rank as high.

God couldn't fix the Arizona Cardinals.

Can he fix the Rams? :wacko::cursing:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

:cursing::censored::mad:

Matt Millen safe for now in Detroit

Tuesday, Dec 5, 2006 10:30 am EST

Speculation that Detroit Lions GM Matt Millen might be fired after another dismal season appears to be premature. Club officials may spare Millen in order to give new coach Rod Marinelli time to develop the team.

The Lions are 2-10 this year, and 23-69 during Millen's much criticized tenure. Steve Mariucci was fired as coach after last year's 5-11 record.

Millen must have talked sweet deal to the Lions' owner... that might be why eh?? Blah that Millen guy is a stupid dude.. I jsut wish someone would be able to make the Lions really competitive like New England, San Diego, and others are now... oh well..

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

:cursing::censored::mad:

Matt Millen safe for now in Detroit

Tuesday, Dec 5, 2006 10:30 am EST

Speculation that Detroit Lions GM Matt Millen might be fired after another dismal season appears to be premature. Club officials may spare Millen in order to give new coach Rod Marinelli time to develop the team.

The Lions are 2-10 this year, and 23-69 during Millen's much criticized tenure. Steve Mariucci was fired as coach after last year's 5-11 record.

I'm absolutely speechless. How does this happen? On-field results aside, even, he should be gone. Everybody wants him fired! How's it good, from a business sense, to go against what your entire fanbase wants?

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived