Oh, the black and gold...the black and gold (its really yellow, but...)

tBBP

Ahh...eleven deep into this series now!

Here's what I have thus far:

Cleveland Browns

Tennessee Titans

Philadelphia Eagles

St. Louis Rams

New Orleans Saints

Seattle Seahawks

Seattle Seahawks SHOCKERS!

New York Jets

Washington Redskins

Carolina Panthers

And now, moving on up I-79...to Allegheny County...Pittsburgh. Which is where I am now. (GO BUCCANEERS!! TB VS PIT HERE SUNDAY 3 DEC @415 PM!!!)

I think it's a well-known fact the Steelers uniforms are the epitome (well, along with the Raiders) of iconic. That's why it's dangerous even attempting a concept such as this. (Let me say this, however: as this is a CONCEPT, not a SUGGESTION as to what they SHOULD WEAR, let's keep the C&C on this relegated to the design on its own merits, shall we? I'd sho' nuff appreciate it...even though I can about bet at least one or two people are goin' post something along the lines of "the current uni's can't be touched" or "they should never wear this" or the like.")

Really, I didn't change much, aside from the obvious: the return to classic block numbers. (Now, as an aside, I kinda like the italicized numbers myself, but I do realize that old classic block number just says "Steelers" more so than the Futura italicized ones do--plus they actually look better.) To the casual observer, not much about the primary home and road would appear different other than the socks, which I'll get to in a sec. The only other major difference I made to this set was with the sleeve striping. With today's ridiculously truncated "sleeves" (heretofore referred as "armholes" in honor of Chris Hovan), those Northwestern stripes just do not look right anymore--in fact, on some players it looks downright terrible, or non-existent. So, in this set, I kinda followed the example set by the uni's of West Point Academy's Cadets (that'd be the Army Black Knights, for those who don't know), and did three equal stripes of yellow/white/yellow (look--it's yellow to me, although I know Steeler nation calls it black and gold ^_^ ), each offset from each other. That pattern also made it onto the previously unstriped socks--I just figured I'd see how it would look--you know, since, according to traditionalists, striping is uber-cool and stuff. The helmet stripe and pants stripe remain unchanged--well, actually, the helmet stripe is just a tadbit wider, and the pants stripe is just a tadbit thinner. The road set mirrors the home, with the exception of the sleeve striping pattern (on the white shirts, it's black/gold/black--I just thinks it look better that way rather than the other way around.)

Okay, here's where this concept gets interesting. It's been discussed up here once before, so I figured I'd throw it on out there and include some black pants with yellow stripe for the secondary roads, with white socks to go with it (and similar striping to the road jersey's sleeves), to prevent that leotard look. And, only because I konw there are people who will ask about it, and even more who are or will be curious as to how it'll look, I went on ahead and threw in a second home set--yes (gasp for air now)...it's BLACK ON BLACK ON BLACK ON BLACK. I must say, though, that sometimes a solid-color look doesn't look so bad when you've got some striping up in there to break up the monotony (this is what the Jags and Ravens fail to understand about their respective all-black looks). It could make a pretty decent alt look, IMHO. As for the actual concept alt, yes, it's a rather predictable yellow (okay, GOLD, damn it ^_^ ) shirt over black pants. The numbers are black, but, as a twist, trimmed in white, with yellow socks to match it with black/white/black stripe.

Okay, you can quit conjuring up images in your head now; I'll show it to you (and prepare for the potential flaming I may get from diehards out there--just remember my disclaimer I mentioned earlier)...

Here it is...my concept for the Pittsburgh Steelers!

PITsteelers.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

This is great....It's just about Perfect....i cant think of anything wrong with it...so i guess it is perfect... Great job again..

These are some of the cleanest concepts....Great job!

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

you need to show that the logo is on only one side.

It's there...I just didn't realize until that saving it for the web also somehow made it damn near disappear. It's not that big on the side, and when I warped it onto the side in Illustrator, it was just barely visible then. But, I think those who know Steeler helmets know that it's supposed to be there (as it is in my lower left-hand display corner). I try to keep these things as realistic as I can (which, by the way, also explains why my TV numbers are always warped in the manner they are.)

I see what you're saying, though--no offense taken.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

This is great. I love it. I like the Army style shoulder stripes. I LOVE the stripes on the socks. I even like the return to the old number style (even though it makes the Iowa Hawkeyes look just like the Steelers again). I feel if a change were to be made to the Steelers jersey, this is about as get as it could get.

Some complaints, still:

I don't think the mostly white socks and mostly black socks looks good with the black pants. In my opinion, the yellow socks should be used for the all three versions with black pants, not just the yellow jersey.

Also, I've never been a big fan of colored numbers with colored jersey (as with the black numbers on the yellow jersey). I think white numbers on the yellow jersey would look better. If they were outlined in black they would still show up well (It works for the Lakers).

And a yellow belt for the black pants.

Over all, awesome stuff!

Hate the 'monochromatic' black look. I think a mono white works better.

I like the stripes and socks.

Also not feeling the gold jerseys, though the white jersey/black pants combo is something I wish we'd see.

For some reason that I can't put my finger on, this concept reminds me of the Pirates combos of the late '70's.

sig1.gif

Hate the 'monochromatic' black look. I think a mono white works better.

I like the stripes and socks.

Also not feeling the gold jerseys, though the white jersey/black pants combo is something I wish we'd see.

For some reason that I can't put my finger on, this concept reminds me of the Pirates combos of the late '70's.

Similarities in colors, maybe??? :P

I also thought about a white-on-white look, but, for some reason (maybe it's just me), white over white just isn't very befitting of "the Steelers"--maybe it's "too clean" or something...and this team is known for (or at least USED TO BE KNOWN for) gettin' down and dirty...

• 5 months later...

NO BLACK PANTS!

NO YELLOW JERSEYS!!

DONT MESS WITH THE STRIPES!!!

love the numbers though, and the sock stripes are good if they were in their full glory. grey facemask would look better.

NO BLACK PANTS!

NO YELLOW JERSEYS!!

DONT MESS WITH THE STRIPES!!!

love the numbers though, and the sock stripes are good if they were in their full glory. grey facemask would look better.

YOU BROUGHT BACK A POST FROM 7 MONTHS AGO!!

^ your not the only one that can yell. since im already here i'm might as well say sweet concept. keep up the good work.

Archived