Inter Milwaukee Wordmark Concepts

Bucks6thMan

There's been a lot of talk about MLS coming to Milwaukee over the past few years, so I decided to use that as a jump off for my first original concept. But I figured I'd get some feedback on the wordmarks I've been playin' with before I go any further.

I have mixed feelings on "europoser" names, but that seems to be the direction that MLS is going in, so I decided to call the team "Inter Milwaukee." I chose Black, Yellow and Red because it's not a combination you see a lot of (the Hawks and Flames are the only teams I can think of who use it... and they emphasize the red over the yellow) and I was using a Germanic font, so I thought Germany's colors would be appropriate.

Anyway, without further ado...

...Jump off #1:

inter_word_1.gif

...and Jump off #2:

inter_word_2.gif

brew.png

There's been a lot of talk about MLS coming to Milwaukee over the past few years, so I decided to use that as a jump off for my first original concept. But I figured I'd get some feedback on the wordmarks I've been playin' with before I go any further.

I have mixed feelings on "europoser" names, but that seems to be the direction that MLS is going in, so I decided to call the team "Inter Milwaukee." I chose Black, Yellow and Red because it's not a combination you see a lot of (the Hawks and Flames are the only teams I can think of who use it... and they emphasize the red over the yellow) and I was using a Germanic font, so I thought Germany's colors would be appropriate.

Anyway, without further ado...

...Jump off #1:

inter_word_1.gif

...and Jump off #2:

inter_word_2.gif

The first one looks too Pittsburgh Pirates to me. The second one I like the font better, but the color choices don't really fit IMO. I think you need something other than black to soften it up a bit.

along with the hawks and flames, the pirates, heat, and to an extent, the d-backs, chiefs, cardinals, and blackhawks all use that color scheme. in soccer, any jerseys in this scheme, unless highly yellow, might look like the United kits. its safe to say you could find a better color scheme. i like the second version better because it just looks cleaner. i dont think it is complete yet, i think you need to get a little mor creative with it, but i am interested to see how this progresses.

along with the hawks and flames, the pirates, heat, and to an extent, the d-backs, chiefs, cardinals, and blackhawks all use that color scheme. in soccer, any jerseys in this scheme, unless highly yellow, might look like the United kits. its safe to say you could find a better color scheme. i like the second version better because it just looks cleaner. i dont think it is complete yet, i think you need to get a little mor creative with it, but i am interested to see how this progresses.

I just noticed that MLS not only doesn't have a green team, but LA is the only team that uses green on their kits at all, so I'll try to go that route since I keep getting told to try different colors.

brew.png

Nah, don't listen to them. German colors are perfect for Milwaukee. You could afford to make it look a little less Pirates-y, but that's a strong color scheme.

I don't mind the colors as much as the name "Inter Milwaukee"...We've already witnessed how adding Euro names to U.S. cities can backfire (i.e. Real Salt Lake). They sometimes use RSL, which is an improvement. The MLS needs to embrace calling clubs by the city name and that's it. No Euro tack-ons or teams names "Galaxy or Rapids". It is really a hit or miss because some sound okay (i.e. DC United).

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I was thinking about what euro-addition (if any) would fit... Milwaukee Athletic (maybe) like Charlton Athletic of the English Premier League and Athletic Bilbao of La Liga in Spain.

Not being from Milwaukee I did a little research on the city name and any nicknames to come up with other possible names for a Milwaukee-based expansion club. Not trying to impose, just trying to come up with something that sounds good and reflects well on the city.

(Nicknames) "City of Festivals, Cream City" ... possibles ... Festival City, Festival City Athletic, Cream City FC, Cream City Athletic, Milwaukee Athletic, Milwaukee FC

Definately a good place for an expansion team as long as Miller gets their logo on the jerseys.

The MLS will never make an identity for itself if it keeps using European team names.

This is America, we do things different here. Why should soccer be any exception?

The European team names sound terrible.

It should remain Location then Team Name.

Right Way:

Chicago Fire

L.A. Galaxy

New England Revolution

Colorado Rapids

Houston Dynamo

Kansas City Wizards

Columbus Crew

Wrong Way

Chivas USA

FC Dallas

DC United

Red Bull New York

Real Salt Lake

Toronto FC

The MLS will never make an identity for itself if it keeps using European team names.

This is America, we do things different here. Why should soccer be any exception?

Right Way:

Chicago Fire

L.A. Galaxy

New England Revolution

Colorado Rapids

Houston Dynamo

Kansas City Wizards

Columbus Crew

Wrong Way

Chivas USA

FC Dallas

DC United

Red Bull New York

Real Salt Lake

Toronto FC

FYI.....names like Houston Dynamo and DC United can go either way on your list, as both are Euro-names that sounds like they could fit typical American sports team names.

Right Way:

Chicago Fire-k

L.A. Galaxy-k

New England Revolution-k

Colorado Rapids-k

Houston Dynamo-NOOOOOO!

Kansas City Wizards-Eh. They'll probably move anyways.

Columbus Crew-k

Wrong Way

Chivas USA- Reason being they are the sister club of CD Guad.

FC Dallas- Shouldn't it be Dallas FC? Eh, whatever.

DC United- Nation's capital. Good.

Red Bull New York- Owned by redbull...

Real Salt Lake- Horrible but now partnered with RM (?). K.

Toronto FC-I like it.

I agree for the most part though.

Now to the concept....start by changing from black to a pine green color and also using a more goldish color (closer to what the Milwaukee Brewers in MLB use).

Now to the concept....start by changing from black to a pine green color and also using a more goldish color (closer to what the Milwaukee Brewers in MLB use).

Agreed, I tried this out on my computer and it looked pretty sweet.

Names like Wizards, Rapids, Galaxy, and Crew really give team names a bad rap though. There needs to be league consistency in naming...either pick Euro-style or American-style

I think the real reason why most are going towards european style names is because they are trying to get the rest of the soccer world to see them as a legitimate league. As for the FC dallass, they are mostly a hispanic population and the name is actually Football Club but in Spanish. Toronto has a huge european culture there and good for them for trying to market towards a crowd that will actually go to the games. That's what a good marketer does.

imo i'd stay away from red. I think there's a little too much of it in the MLS.

And I like Euro style names better. It's your city that's emphasized, which is where your stadium is, your fans are, and that's where you belong.

Just got back from home yesterday, so I finally get a chance to post my recoloring.

I decided to go with dark (Packers) green and sky blue since it gives the mark a more aquatic feel that's appropriate for Milwaukee. Also, other than Tulane (which doesn't even have soccer), I can't think of anyone who uses anything like this.

inter_word_3.gif

brew.png

Archived