Florida State vs. Wisconsin

JetsLuvver

Wisconsin has no control over who they play in the Big 10-ACC Challenge, its decided by last years league standings. Wisconsin cannot schedule a non-conference game against an indian mascot school, but if they play them in the postseason or a tournament like the preseason NIT or Big 10-ACC Challenge it is ok.

Why isn't Wisconsin allowed to schedule such schools? And I would like to know what the "formula" is for determining the matchups.

I have no idea how the ACC/BigTen scheduling works, but the American Indian name/mascot thing is a self-imposed rule. It's stupid and one of those false holier than though moves.

Why isn't Wisconsin allowed to schedule such schools? And I would like to know what the "formula" is for determining the matchups.

Because the People's Republic of Madison has determined that it isn't right to do so. Well, except for Illinois, becuase they're in our conference. Oh yeah, and North Dakota, because that's hockey.

[/tongue in cheek]

It's where I sit.

Because the People's Republic of Madison has determined that it isn't right to do so. Well, except for Illinois, becuase they're in our conference. Oh yeah, and North Dakota, because that's hockey.

[/tongue in cheek]

I've known about this "rule" because of covering hockey for some time, but when you've got teams in your own conference (the above mentioned Illini and Fighting Sioux) who you have to play every season, and then duck out of the rule for a contrived basketball scheduling aliance with the ACC, well then, you might as well just shut-up about the whole thing. I mean, either grow a set, or just come out and say, "we've got principals, but since it would cost us money (leaving the Big 10/WCHA, or opting out of a TV contract with the ACC/Big 10 Challenge), we're willing to let them slide for a couple games a year..."

Moose

I have no idea how the ACC/BigTen scheduling works,

As Herk said earlier in the thread the scheduling is decided by last season's standing. So last season 1st place ACC team plays last season 1st place Big Ten team and so on.

I think its more of a "we don't want to get PWN3D by Mid-Majors if we can avoid it" type of thing.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think its more of a "we don't want to get PWN3D by Mid-Majors if we can avoid it" type of thing.

Do most mid-majors have a native-american mascot? I don't think it is the fear of (say, Bradley) that causes UW to have this rule. Call it PC or whatever, the rule is there because someone at the UW believes in it.

I tend to agree with No97. If we are going to have the rule, I am OK with playing conference foes (Illinois and North Dakota) and whoever we have to play in a tournament or bowl game (the athletes should get to play in these games after all the work. But I think if they want to make a statement, they should have made it here. They have known about the FSU game for some time and they should have said they would not do it.

As for the rule, I am back and forth. I think that schools that have tribe-specific names/mascots/rituals that have been OK'd by the tribe are hard to badmouth. I am not really fond of certain native names (redskins), mascots (Chief Wahoo) and rituals (the tomohawk chop), but I don't think it is necessarily UW's job to change it (I know that most of those are pro-teams, but there are usually similar ones in college).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived