stagg contest preview

leggman01

as the deadline for the stagg contest approaches (saturday at midnight eastern), i thought i'd share the concepts i worked up...these are NOT part of the contest as i don't think it would be kosher to enter my own contest (thanks for the advice on that, wib) - i'm really happy with the wesley, oxidental and uw-whitewater entries

i think the wesley logo would be a huge upgrade for them and i'm pretty pleased with their uni's, as well - i'm not pleased with the wordmark, and on the helmet i should have eliminated the lighter blue shade in the eye are of the logo or included it in the outline

wesley college

the oxy package is solid - i was going for more of a modernization of their current logo featuring a tiger crawling through an "O", but i couldn't get the proportions right on the legs - the update of the "O" obviously borrows heavily from the cincy bengals, but i think the package works - oxy has a rich football history, so i didn't mess with the uniforms much and kept them very simple

occidental college

i'm pleased with the uw-whitewhater package, as well, but they are one of the few d3 teams that has a pretty solid logo, so this concept would never see the light of day - the uniforms have a bit of a gb packers flare, which is fitting in wisconsin, i think - in my opinion, the best thing i did was remove the black from the uniforms...i really dislike black with dark purple

uw-whitewater

the st. johns stuff is just ok - sju has a pretty solid logo, as well, and this doesn't improve on it, but it was still fun and interesting - i barely changed the uniforms...st johns is one of the most storied programs in college football, with a legendary coach...no need to change what isn't broken

st john's

so hit me with some c&c and your opinions, and don't forget...there is still time to get your concept in!

voting thread will be posted bright and early sunday morning!

jldesigns404eo.png

These are some nice concepts. I like the oxy one, but I am confused. Midnight is not a good time because it can be confusing. Midnight, in a few hours, it will turn to being satrurday, so is it that midnight, or is it the midnight that comes after the day saturday? When I heard Midnight Saturday, I figured you meant in a few hours, when it will atually be Saturday at midnight.

MegatronSig2.jpg

These are some nice concepts. I like the oxy one, but I am confused. Midnight is not a good time because it can be confusing. Midnight, in a few hours, it will turn to being satrurday, so is it that midnight, or is it the midnight that comes after the day saturday? When I heard Midnight Saturday, I figured you meant in a few hours, when it will atually be Saturday at midnight.

this is from the rules posted before the contest "all entries must be emailed to staggcontest@gmail.com after selection sunday (november 12) and before midnight on december 2, 2006 "..midnight december 2 is saturday night...it's not saturday until 12:01 tonight, so don't rush your concept...you've got over 24 hours

jldesigns404eo.png

Hey,

I was gonna enter this contest for St. John's, but it looks like you got it already. Very nice design and I like how you incorporated the Cross in the logo and still left the #'s on one side of the helmet. The only thing I think is that St. John's will never go away from their white pants. Other than that, it looks great.

Huskiescoathangnew.gifminnesota-dna.png

this is from the rules posted before the contest "all entries must be emailed to staggcontest@gmail.com after selection sunday (november 12) and before midnight on december 2, 2006 "..midnight december 2 is saturday night...it's not saturday until 12:01 tonight, so don't rush your concept...you've got over 24 hours

Alright, thanks for clearing that up for me.

MegatronSig2.jpg

I'm no expert so take anything I say lightly... I like the Wesley uniform design and wordmark but something about the logo does'nt work for me, Maybe not enough detail.

Oxy, simple but nice all around, but simple.

Uw... I have to disagree with you about the black, I think it would make this uni and logo pop. You have kind of a Wu Tang thing going on with the logo which is sorta cool.

St John with two colors in todays uni's look outdated and high schoolish. Imo this team is in need of a major make over.

Like I said before ,I'm no expert and I don't know much or even heard of about some of these teams.

I'm no expert so take anything I say lightly... I like the Wesley uniform design and wordmark but something about the logo does'nt work for me, Maybe not enough detail.

Oxy, simple but nice all around, but simple.

Uw... I have to disagree with you about the black, I think it would make this uni and logo pop. You have kind of a Wu Tang thing going on with the logo which is sorta cool.

St John with two colors in todays uni's look outdated and high schoolish. Imo this team is in need of a major make over.

Like I said before ,I'm no expert and I don't know much or even heard of about some of these teams.

thanks for the c&c, hooligan, and i really do respect your opinion...the work you do on the request board is amazing and making you a request board legend :)

wesley logo - i was shooting for simple and iconic, and i think i hit that mark - adding detail would detract from the look, in my opinion

i may continue to work on the oxy package to add the tiger climbing through the "o"...it would be a good update of their current logo, in my opinion - with black and orange as your colors, i think simple is a good way to go with uniforms...there is so much inherent contrast that you don't need a bunch of piping and striping to get maximum effect when you're combining those colors (and the helmet is actually outlandish compared to their current look...black shell, black cage, no decal, no stripe)

we disagree on st. john's, but mostly because of this: when your coach is the all-time winningest coach in college football and is the first active coach to be inducted into the college football hall of fame, any tweaks you make should be minimal :)

jldesigns404eo.png

Archived