Best and Worst NBA Team Names?

ShinyHubCaps

I am not a fan of Golden State either, I think they should rename themselves the Oakland Warriors. I just think it sounds stupid, it's like having team names like the Garden State Nets, Empire State Knicks, Grand Canyon State Suns, Beehive State Jazz, Peach State Hawks, or my favorite Prairie State Bulls. It just shouldn't be. It's not natural. That's just my opinion.

Agreed. I didn't mention them because I was thinking about team nicknames, but on second thought I should have. Warriors is so generic and nondescript. What kind of warriors? It's too broad, aside from being a cliche. I was disappointed years ago when Wayne State changed to Warriors from Tartars. How boring.

But back on the Golden State thing...yeah, I hate it. Who wouldn't imagine a college team the first time they heard that?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst:

Wizards - honestly now, they couldn't have come up w/ something that remotely related to dc? really?

Bobcats - like everyone's been saying, so high school and just plain unoriginal

Hawks - just way too bland in my opinion

Clippers - this is mainly to do with their lack of marketing. i mean seriously, who knows what a clipper is without having to be told what it is? (i know i know, it's a ship, but up until middle school i honestly thought it had to do with a barbershop)

Best:

basically any of the classics like the Knicks, Celtics, Lakers, 76ers. in my opinion they've earned a bye.

others i like:

cavaliers - just sounds cool

magic - very unique name, and unlike the wizards actually appropriate for the locale

supersonics - also very unique and apt

suns - again unique (i think you can spot a pattern brewing)

Worst:

Wizards - honestly now, they couldn't have come up w/ something that remotely related to dc? really?

They did... I believe it was the 'Bullets' :P

Thats why they changed it. It was too related to D.C.

I still think 'Bobcats' is the absolute worst. Reminds me of a Pee Wee football team.

My other worst nomination would be the 'Nets'. C'mon, a 'Net' <_<

It is just corny. Whats next? The New Jersey Rims?

Horrible.

Wouldn't it be nice if Utah, N.O. and Charlotte made a blockbuster 3 way trade.

N.O. trades "Hornets" to Charlotte, who gives "Bobcats" to Utah. In turn Utah sends "Jazz" back to N.O.

I mean, there has to be bobcats somewhere in Utah.

Or why not a straight up trade between Utah and New Orleans? Utah is afterall the "Beehive State" so Hornets would work there and New Orleans Jazz...that goes without saying

N.O. trades "Hornets" to Charlotte, who gives "Bobcats" to Utah. In turn Utah sends "Jazz" back to N.O.

Or why not a straight up trade between Utah and New Orleans? Utah is afterall the "Beehive State" so Hornets would work there and New Orleans Jazz...that goes without saying

HAY GUYZ I HAVE A GRATE IDEA SWITCH THE JAZZ AND HORNETS NAMES BECUZ UTAH IS THE BEEHIVE STATE AND HORNETS ARE KINDA BEES AND NEW ORLEANS HAS JAZZ IN IT SO IT WOULD BE PERFECT

HAY GUYZ I HAVE A GRATE IDEA SWITCH THE JAZZ AND HORNETS NAMES BECUZ UTAH IS THE BEEHIVE STATE AND HORNETS ARE KINDA BEES AND NEW ORLEANS HAS JAZZ IN IT SO IT WOULD BE PERFECT

Umm, bees and hornets are 2 different things.

rangersCBSig.gif

Really? It might not be the dominant culture, but I knew plenty of people in Milwaukee (even a couple on the Fashionable East Side) who would take to the woods in their blaze orange.

Although I don't care about basketball in the slightest, I like the name "Bucks" for the athleticism and really good jumping ability it connotes.

The only downside, in my mind, is that other teams can use "Hunting Season" or a similar form. But it looks like the Bucks have beaten them to it.

I might just be one person, but I spent most of my life in Milwaukee and the only people I ever knew of there who hunted were either over 60 or grew up somewhere other than the city (like the 'burbs or Northern Wisconsin). In fact, I'm not even sure that most Milwaukeeans could even tell you when hunting season is.

brew.png

I doubt that. With all the news items about CWD and all that, how can you live anywhere in Wisconsin and remain oblivious to deer hunting season? That's a ridiculous claim.

Hands down the worst name in the NBA, and in all of sports, is the Utah Jazz. That's equivelant to a team

being called the Philadelphia Rockies. Some nicknames you just can't take with you. Animal names, like

Bobcats, can be used anywhere, in my opinion. There are no tigers in Detroit or bears in Chicago, but they

seem to work.

It's funny: there's actually a Salt Lake City Jazz Festival now that retroactively fosters a connection between Utah and jazz, tenuous as that connection still may be. Besides, SLC is probably the most cosmopolitan city of the Wasatch Front--compared to Provo--so there has to be a decent jazz scene in town. It's still a dumb nickname in the grand scheme of things, and they look like a rec-league team, but I swear, one more proposal to flip the Jazz and Hornets and I'm going to climb some Message Board Bell Tower and start picking people off.

I was bored this afternoon, so actually ranked them, first to last... hehe.

Dallas Mavericks

Detroit Pistons

Chicago Bulls

San Antonio Spurs

Boston Celtics

Houston Rockets

Sacramento Kings

Philadelphia 76ers

Orlando Magic

Milwaukee Bucks

Phoenix Suns

Atlanta Hawks

New Orleans Hornets

Minnesota Timberwolves

Miami Heat

Golden State Warriors

Portland Trailblazers

Cleveland Cavaliers

Seattle Supersonics

Memphis Grizzlies

Indiana Pacers

Los Angeles Clippers

Los Angeles Lakers

Utah Jazz

New York Knicks

Charlotte Bobcats

New Jersey Nets

Toronto Rapters

Denver Nuggets

Hands down the worst name in the NBA, and in all of sports, is the Utah Jazz. That's equivelant to a team

being called the Philadelphia Rockies. Some nicknames you just can't take with you. Animal names, like

Bobcats, can be used anywhere, in my opinion. There are no tigers in Detroit or bears in Chicago, but they

seem to work.

I agree with you on almost all of your points EXCEPT the last one. Its funny, because in my short lifetime I've debated both sides of this point with many of my drunken friends at two in the morning.

Just becasue there may not be Lions or Tigers in Detroit, for example, it doesn't mean the team can't be named after those animals. Franchises choose nicknames for the purpose of portraying the organization and its players with a certain positive and strong image.

There is a link somewhere on the board to the official NFL nickname histories and reasons for them. The Detroit Lions' nickname for example, has more to do with the characteristics of a Lion and trying to portray their players with those characteristics.

But I get what your saying about the Rockies thing.

Archived